Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #17,536 of 48,583
Like Mixamps. They all sound worse than my original Mixamp. Bad volume distortions when adjusting the volume, and they clip to hell when I max out the volume, which was never a problem before. I have to leave it at like 70% now. I kind of wish I never got rid of my 5.8. The first gen Mixamp was also something I should've kept.

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #17,537 of 48,583
^ even though I like thx processing more, my DSS has been less quirky. I think Nameless got unlucky. Plus, I just re-confirmed that the DSS hiss doesn't scale with volume... If I use my M100 plugged in directly, there's some soft white-noise (brown-noise? I think of white-noise as grainier) at listening volume, easy enough to ignore while playing, but if I turn up the DSS volume to max and plug in my E12, adjust to listening volume, the background is black.

It's nice having both, but I'm probably going to send my DSS to my CoD buddy (he raves about his X21, I tell him to move the mic further from his mouth :wink: )

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #17,538 of 48,583
I wouldn't be surprised if I got unlucky with that unit.

When I received it, I heard a loud rattling whenever I shook it, albeit one that didn't seem to impede its function.

I took it apart and found one of those usual metal weight slabs screwed down to the casing...or it would be if the screw shaft didn't snap off, which happens all the time with these things. I removed it and put it back together after making sure the PCB was undamaged by the loose weight, which it thankfully wasn't. (If you noticed it being lighter than your old unit, now you know why.)

It sucks to hear that I may have actually had a Recon3D USB with degraded audio quality, but as far as I knew, it was in working order.

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #17,539 of 48,583
I think it's fair to say it's sound is close enough to be impossible to definitively detect a difference unless compared side-by-side (which I can't), except sometimes it emits a squealtch sound, and it continually has problems being recognized by my computer when it first starts up. Minor quirks... Those are the only obvious things. So far, it also sounds like you and Mad described, which is funny because I didn't feel the same when I had my old unit, but that's just subjective and I can't take a definitive stance on it.

You remember when I first plugged it in to my computer, and I said "Wow, I think this one must be louder!" because I had to turn windows system volume down to 20%? Haven't been able to replicate that, and the last time I had my Same headphone plugged straight in + same game, I had to have the volume at like 60%.

Still glad to have it, just noting unit variances. You absolutely disclosed the rattling before I bought it and did a better job fixing it than I probably would have, I'm not reviewing you at all, unless I'm reviewing your luck :wink:

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #17,540 of 48,583
Look at what just showed up today.
biggrin.gif
Initial impressions are very good so far, these are not bass lean at all, they have more bass than the MA900 or K240 and the treble is smooth and relaxed.

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #17,541 of 48,583

I'm also using glasses, and that is the reason why I'm very picky for full size cans.
X1 clamp is not that hard, just right. It doesn't press my glasses hand and no discomfort at all for me. DT990 pro also comfortable for glasses user like us.
Unlike the M50, even with the stretch mod, its still very painful because its pressing my glasses rather hard.

A lot of the most comfortable headphones are open, which is unfortunate for me as I need closed ones.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #17,542 of 48,583
  A lot of the most comfortable headphones are open, which is unfortunate for me as I need closed ones.

Too bad you need closed, I thought if you don't like with the x1, you will be satisfied with the MA900.
The V-moda m100 is fairly comfy for me and its closed, Just wished it got bigger cup. the clamp is good and didn't press my glasses hard. Note that my glasses is those hipster glasses, so the hand is thick.
The full size momentum is not comfy, rather clampy. However, I would like to try the on ear momentum with velour pad.
If you don't have any luck with closed cans, than IEM is your only choice...
Btw, any words for mixamp or DSS compability with next gen console?

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #17,543 of 48,583
Look at what just showed up today. :D Initial impressions are very good so far, these are not bass lean at all, they have more bass than the MA900 or K240 and the treble is smooth and relaxed.

Awesome! More impressions would be awesomer! How's the soundstage, particularly using surround stuff?

:popcorn:

Too bad you need closed, I thought if you don't like with the x1, you will be satisfied with the MA900.
The V-moda m100 is fairly comfy for me and its closed, Just wished it got bigger cup. the clamp is good and didn't press my glasses hard. Note that my glasses is those hipster glasses, so the hand is thick.
If you don't have any luck with closed cans, than IEM is your only choice...
Btw, any words for mixamp or DSS compability with next gen console?

2x on the V-MODA M-100 having surprisingly nice imaging. Just tested it this morning for someone on the M-100 thread, it really does acquit itself well. Bass extends well, but it may take the focus away from footsteps, though those steps are still there if you listen for them since treble has decent extension.

Clamp indeed isn't too bad stock, but the headband is metal and can easily be relaxed as much as you desire. Wearing for longer than an hour takes some determination though, my ears don't fit entirely inside and they start to ache, though in a practical sense you ought to be taking breaks anyway.

I haven't tried the XL pads yet, apparently the extra distance affects the bass BUT is a nice boon for comfort. I haven't seen a consensus for HOW the bass changes, but I suspect it's not so different from the pad mod that's been quite popular for the past 9 months or so.

I got mine with shields customized with my gaming clan logo, in orange to match my cable; with the matte black and orange cable/shields it looks like I am obsessed with color-coordination next to the K712 pros.
-----

I dunno about the next-gen consoles yet, nor who does have the whole picture, except that I'm 99% certain there will be an HDMI out (thus receivers with surround processing or optical-outs should help headphone users) and there will probably be an optical-out on the console (or accessory) too, however it has also been confirmed that Xbox One [Three] will have a new proprietary connection for chat. So, you probably CAN use existing devices for game surround, but not chat audio. I bet new products will emerge to fill this role.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #17,544 of 48,583
Awesome! More impressions would be awesomer! How's the soundstage, particularly using surround stuff?

popcorn.gif

Well I haven't tried it with gaming or virtual surround and it's still in the process of burning in. From what I can tell from just heavy music listening it has more depth and accuracy to it's imaging and soundstage than the MA900, the MA900 is wider, bigger and airier sounding but because of that sounds a little thin compared to the K612. It's a round and natural sounding soundstage, while the MA900 seems more ovalish. It's a thick and warm sounding headphone but does have some air to it's sound due to it's large soundstage. It has a noticeable improvement in the subbass over the MA900 and K240s I own. It doesn't have any center imaging issues like the K701/K702/Q701 does.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #17,545 of 48,583
I don't know what the iCan's soundstage switch sounds like (I'd guess it'd make a "click" sound? Then made audio more soundstagey... By adding crossfeed, echo, or modifying certain frequencies?), but my tube amp is like an always-on soundstage switch.

It's hard to describe how the iCans 3D effect works.  It doesn't add any reverb or echo, it doesn't process the signal digitally, and it doesn't affect the resolution.  It's also not a crossfeed (although the "mode 1" setting behaves similar to a standard crossfeed.  "Mode 3" is the fancy one though which I'm talking about).  It's all analog circuitry according to iFi.  It does slightly increase the highs for some reason, but it's no big deal and it's sometimes nice as it increases the airiness.

It's not just simply adding "more soundstage".  If I just want more-of-the-same soundstage, the M-stage does that.  The 3D effect is something different though, and it actually moves the sounds around inside the soundstage in a way that gives them more space and separation around each other.  For example, if you've got three singers/instruments sounding like they're all coming from in front of you and close together, it will split them up so that two are farther to the side and they all have more space around them.  It does it in a natural sounding way though.   It also usually wrap some of the sounds around your head some. 

After listening to it for a while and then turning it OFF you will notice the sound will become bit flat (like sounds are all coming from the same plane of depth) and the stereo width will become more narrow and "inside your head".

The overall effect is much more subtle then your probably thinking.  In fact on some recordings it's so subtle it doesn't make too much difference whether it's ON or OFF.  On other recordings the effect is quite impressive though.  So it depends a lot on the recording.  More modern compressed pop stuff usually won't benefit as much from it, but recordings with ambience such as a live jazz or classical performance usually works well with it.

So it's something you need to spend some time with to appreciate what it's doing.  It probably won't "wow" you on a quick listen but after you've used it for a while then switch it off it's easier to hear and appreciate what it's doing. 

I'll record a demo of it taking a signal from the iCan's HP out jack so you guys can hear the effect.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #17,546 of 48,583

:popcorn:
2x on the V-MODA M-100 having surprisingly nice imaging. Just tested it this morning for someone on the M-100 thread, it really does acquit itself well. Bass extends well, but it may take the focus away from footsteps, though those steps are still there if you listen for them since treble has decent extension.

Clamp indeed isn't too bad stock, but the headband is metal and can easily be relaxed as much as you desire. Wearing for longer than an hour takes some determination though, my ears don't fit entirely inside and they start to ache, though in a practical sense you ought to be taking breaks anyway.

I haven't tried the XL pads yet, apparently the extra distance affects the bass BUT is a nice boon for comfort. I haven't seen a consensus for HOW the bass changes, but I suspect it's not so different from the pad mod that's been quite popular for the past 9 months or so.

I got mine with shields customized with my gaming clan logo, in orange to match my cable; with the matte black and orange cable/shields it looks like I am obsessed with color-coordination next to the K712 pros.
-----

I dunno about the next-gen consoles yet, nor who does have the whole picture, except that I'm 99% certain there will be an HDMI out (thus receivers with surround processing or optical-outs should help headphone users) and there will probably be an optical-out on the console (or accessory) too, however it has also been confirmed that Xbox One [Three] will have a new proprietary connection for chat. So, you probably CAN use existing devices for game surround, but not chat audio. I bet new products will emerge to fill this role.

I want to make sure that the dh devices can support next gen. I'm pretty sure ps4 will have optical out, just like ps2 and 3. Dont know for the xbn, but i had enough for xbox... time to be a sony loyalist again.
I dont really care about chat. I rarely chat on mp games, just want to experience surround from console gaming.
Btw, why no impression of the k712pro yet, and for gaming.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #17,548 of 48,583
I don't really care about chat. I rarely chat on mp games, just want to experience surround from console gaming.

Btw, why no impression of the k712pro yet, and for gaming.

1. You don't care about chat? Optical is an audio equipment STANDARD, so as long as the console has that you'll be golden. You could even hook up a DSS to an original Xbox if you get the component cable (at least, mine has an optical out).

2. Well... What happens? Every time I go to write a review or analyze the sound for notes, I end up getting carried away and forgetting all about reviewing. Short version is they're an undeniably awesome choice for gaming. I haven't heard the Annie's but I bet they're on the same level as all-rounders of utmost quality. I'm not yet positive how much has changed from the Q701, and which I would consider the better value... The Q701 is an amazing value, about $100 cheaper than the two other traditional big flagships (Beyer and Sennheiser), the K712 is priced more in-line with the other brands and over the Q701 offers increased comfort, convenience (the coiled cable is a nice alternative for me instead of the super long 10 m cable that was the Q's spare), increased bass, and a few other things I want to make sure aren't just impressions before I hype them.

The K712 are definitely hype-worthy, and overall an evolutionary improvement, but the Q701 (with a few mods) may be the better value:price.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #17,549 of 48,583
You can't go wrong with the K712s for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back