Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 23, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #17,551 of 48,583
Nop, i rarely chatted when play mp games. Can't concentrate enough if i play while chatting. Except for mp games like starcraft2, chat feature is very important.
Dont know what mp player i will play in console, maybe destiny on ps4.
My main reason for dh device is just to feel the surround effect using cans. I assumed that the current mixamp will be compatible with ps4 then?
How about 712 for music use? Maybe compared to x1. Or i just keep the x1 as my music need :D

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #17,552 of 48,583
This quick guide is for Headphone gaming WITH virtual surround (I personally use Dolby Headphone). NOT stereo*​

So all these headphones use Dolby technology ?​

Have you even read the guide?

The virtual surround devices on that very first post (they're even in their own list). That's what gives me virtual surround, obviously.

I'm convinced people don't actually read the guide before asking questions easily answered if they just looked through it.

Sorry if I sound cranky. I'm on 1 hour of sleep, AT WORK and it's 5am, and I have a stupid headache.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #17,553 of 48,583
Local hifi shop messaged me about K812. 3 Weeks delivery. 1099€. First time I see a 1:1 conversion actually. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #17,554 of 48,583
  Local hifi shop messaged me about K812. 3 Weeks delivery. 1099€. First time I see a 1:1 conversion actually. 

Are you getting them?

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #17,555 of 48,583
It needs to be at least on par with the HD 800 in details and imaging/separation. Soundstage doesn't need to have the same size but needs to be at least on TH-900, Fostex level. I like how it's easier to drive as I plan to stay away from any kind of extra amping in the future. The amp of the D2 is outstanding, just not strong enough for a HE-6 or similar so more sensitive headphones are always positive.

At the moment I'll be shrinking everything to my DAC and TH-900. I like the Fostex most, it completes my needs the best. Excellent for gaming (soundstage, speed, epic subbass), lovely for music, suitable for every genre and just singing itself. Still wish it was cheaper for everyone else.

Next year I'll check again between K812 and the "HD850" and maybe get one of them.  

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #17,556 of 48,583
Have you even read the guide?

The virtual surround devices on that very first post (they're even in their own list). That's what gives me virtual surround, obviously.

I'm convinced people don't actually read the guide before asking questions easily answered if they just looked through it.

Sorry if I sound cranky. I'm on 1 hour of sleep, AT WORK and it's 5am, and I have a stupid headache.

I am sorry I am kinda new to the whole headphone thing, I just found out you need an amp to make the headphone produce 5.1 sound, because there are headsets like Plantronics GameCom 780 or Logitech G35 that have Dolby® Headset Technology built in them, so again apologies.

After doing some research I found out that headsets are kinda crappy when compared to headphones+mic combo, for both music and gaming everyone says headphones are Superior, so I ended up here for some advice, but sadly you're guide is
for Headphone gaming WITH virtual surround ​
only, not for 
stereo gaming I am afraid.​

​So my question is getting a quality headphone like ​
sennheiser hd 558 or getting a headset that uses Dolby Technology like the ones I mentioned above, I will be using the headphone/headset for Music, gaming and watching movies, and my budget is around 100$ only I am afraid. 

Thank you for this amazing guide btw :)

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #17,557 of 48,583
Well, my guide review is based on Dolby for gaming purposes, but when I talk about aspects of certain headphones like bass, mids, etc, that's all done in stereo first.

As long as you get something like the Mixamp or a soundcard with Dolby Headphone or something similar, its basically doing the same thing as the headsets with Dolby built in.

If you're looking at those Sennheiser headphones, I recommend the Sony MA900 instead.

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #17,558 of 48,583
  It needs to be at least on par with the HD 800 in details and imaging/separation. Soundstage doesn't need to have the same size but needs to be at least on TH-900, Fostex level. I like how it's easier to drive as I plan to stay away from any kind of extra amping in the future. The amp of the D2 is outstanding, just not strong enough for a HE-6 or similar so more sensitive headphones are always positive.

At the moment I'll be shrinking everything to my DAC and TH-900. I like the Fostex most, it completes my needs the best. Excellent for gaming (soundstage, speed, epic subbass), lovely for music, suitable for every genre and just singing itself. Still wish it was cheaper for everyone else.

Next year I'll check again between K812 and the "HD850" and maybe get one of them.  

Is there an "850" planned?

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #17,559 of 48,583
I concur with what Chico says about the ican's 3D switch when on high. It helps with instrument separation by placing some of them outside of the headphones, so to say. On the box there is a graphic design of the 3D effect that basically nails its description. It shows the main singer inside the phones while the back up musicians are placed outside the phones.

And when you use the high bass switch with it... OMG! The extra space and air from the 3D effect allows it to be engaging without bleeding into the other frequencies.

These benefits are what will make it hard for me to decide which amp to keep once the AG2 arrives on Saturday (depending if it improves the MDs with its extra juice). I love them both the same; M-Stage for its natural open sound and the iCAN for its versatility.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #17,560 of 48,583
So I finally decided to Sony MDR MA900 and they are awesome! Never heard so much space, I am really happy, thank you guys for your help :).
And I have decided to buy a headphone amp cause still with these headphones I need to turn up volume higher than before. And in addition I want to buy some AKGs in the future. I read on MLE guide about Fiio E09k and Fiio E12 and want to know, which of these will be working better with MA900 and with potential AKG in the future. Or if you think that there will be better choice, tell me about it please.
Thank you for any advices.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #17,561 of 48,583
I want to make sure that the dh devices can support next gen. I'm pretty sure ps4 will have optical out, just like ps2 and 3. Dont know for the xbn, but i had enough for xbox... time to be a sony loyalist again.
I dont really care about chat. I rarely chat on mp games, just want to experience surround from console gaming.

As mentioned before, as long as the new consoles have a SPDIF port, it will work with the current DH devices for audio output (speaker/headphone) ONLY, but no CHAT capability.  I remember reading that Microsoft has not shared specs of the new chat protocol with 3rd parties like Turtle Beach, Razer, etc, so upon release, there will be no 3rd party headsets because there won't be chat support.  It may not matter to you, but it matters to millions of Call of Duty and Battlefield players around the world, so you won't be seeing a 3rd party DH device for the XBone upon release.  I'm not sure about the PS4 except that even their own 1st party PS3 Bluetooth headset won't work with the PS4 upon release.  I believe the CEO said that it will eventually work with the PS4 after a software update that will be released sometime after console is out, so I wouldn't expect to see a full DH+chat 3rd party device for the PS4 either upon console release.

2. Well... What happens? Every time I go to write a review or analyze the sound for notes, I end up getting carried away and forgetting all about reviewing. Short version is they're an undeniably awesome choice for gaming. I haven't heard the Annie's but I bet they're on the same level as all-rounders of utmost quality. I'm not yet positive how much has changed from the Q701, and which I would consider the better value... The Q701 is an amazing value, about $100 cheaper than the two other traditional big flagships (Beyer and Sennheiser), the K712 is priced more in-line with the other brands and over the Q701 offers increased comfort, convenience (the coiled cable is a nice alternative for me instead of the super long 10 m cable that was the Q's spare), increased bass, and a few other things I want to make sure aren't just impressions before I hype them.

The K712 are definitely hype-worthy, and overall an evolutionary improvement, but the Q701 (with a few mods) may be the better value:price.

I disagree that the Q701 is a better value than the K702.65 or K712pro if you can get the latter on sale.  After having tried the Q701 in person, I value comfort above sound.  The Q701 were super uncomfortable for me because I have a big head and wear glasses.  The bumps on the headband plus the hard foam earpads on the Q701 were unacceptable to me.  I have read that you can replace the headband with a flat headband from the K601 and replace the earpads with the memory foam earpads from the Annies/K712, but that ends up costing more than just buying the Annie/K712pro in the first place.  Q701 ($250) + headband ($60+shipping) + Annie earpads ($75+shipping) = $385+shipping USD.  If you're in the US then the Q701 are maybe a bit cheaper at $220 on amazon, but that's the best I can find in Canada.  The Annies cost me $350+shipping on sale a couple months ago.  The K712 were $50 more than the Annies when I bought mine.  I recently saw the K712 go on sale for $375+shipping.  I think I should have waited and got the K712 because I just spent $40 to get the EK500 coiled cable for my Annies because the stock straight cable was too long and felt really cheap for something that retails for $499 MSRP.  The K712pro includes both the straight and coiled cables unlike the Annies.  But I do prefer the black/blue color scheme of the Annies versus the black/orange of the K712pro.  I also just got a pair of AKG K550 because I needed a pair of closed headphones for music listening at the office and I love my Annies even more now.  

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #17,562 of 48,583
I concur with what Chico says about the ican's 3D switch when on high. It helps with instrument separation by placing some of them outside of the headphones, so to say.

On the box there is a graphic design of the 3D effect that basically nails its description. It shows the main singer inside the phones while the back up musicians are placed outside the phones.

Here's the visual aid:

And when you use the high bass switch with it... OMG! The extra space and air from the 3D effect allows it to be engaging without bleeding into the other frequencies.

Yes. 

One great thing about the the 3D effect is it gives the bass more space and room to operate.  It's almost like it improves the technicalities of the bass and makes it more open and less muddy.

Using the bass boost in conjunction with the 3D is quite nice as once you give the bass some extra room it responds better to bass boost.  Using them both together also works well because the bass boost slightly counterbalances the bit of air added up top from the 3D setting with just a bit of warmth down low.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #17,563 of 48,583
Well, my guide review is based on Dolby for gaming purposes, but when I talk about aspects of certain headphones like bass, mids, etc, that's all done in stereo first.

As long as you get something like the Mixamp or a soundcard with Dolby Headphone or something similar, its basically doing the same thing as the headsets with Dolby built in.

If you're looking at those Sennheiser headphones, I recommend the Sony MA900 instead.

The MA900 looks amazing but I am afraid they are over my budget, that's why I am looking into Sennheiser headphones I heard good things.

But correct me if I am wrong, isn't the headphone quality overall better than the headsets regardless of the dolby technology.

I also have an Asus Xonar DS on the way, it has DTS Connect technology, dunno if thats gonna work with headphones.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #17,564 of 48,583

But correct me if I am wrong, isn't the headphone quality overall better than the headsets regardless of the dolby technology.

The only difference between headphones and headsets is that the latter has a microphone.  They're both dual driver stereo headphones essentially.  There are multi-driver "true surround" headsets, but multi-driver units have proven to sound inferior to regular dual driver headphoens in terms of sound quality. 

Dolby headphone is a separate entity outside the physical headphone/headset itself.  It's simply a virtual surround processing DSP that plays with the signal before it ever gets to either the headphone/headset. 

In general, YES - headphones (especially "audiophile" or "hi-fi" headphones) will have better sound quality than your typical gaming headsets.  This is due to a number of reasons, such as: a design more focused on maximizing sound quality instead of maximizing stylish "gaming" looks, an Open Vs. Closed design (most gaming headsets are closed), and simply having more experience at designing headphones than gaming headset companies.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #17,565 of 48,583

The only difference between headphones and headsets is that the latter has a microphone.  They're both dual driver stereo headphones essentially.  There are multi-driver "true surround" headsets, but multi-driver units have proven to sound inferior to regular dual driver headphoens in terms of sound quality. 

Dolby headphone is a separate entity outside the physical headphone/headset itself.  It's simply a virtual surround processing DSP that plays with the signal before it ever gets to either the headphone/headset. 

In general, YES - headphones (especially "audiophile" or "hi-fi" headphones) will have better sound quality than your typical gaming headsets.  This is due to a number of reasons, such as: a design more focused on maximizing sound quality instead of maximizing stylish "gaming" looks, an Open Vs. Closed design (most gaming headsets are closed), and simply having more experience at designing headphones than gaming headset companies.

First I thank you for the explanation :) I still have a couple of questions left if you'd like to help me or anyone else ofc.

1)In general open headphones are better for gaming and music and I do believe they are more comfy, but how bad is the sound leakage exactly ? my brother in another room (around 3-5 meters away) with both doors closed can hear my iphone ear pods if I blast the volume, I really dont want that to happen with my new headphones so still confused about that closed/open matter.

2)What do you Advice here, Headset or headphones, I mainly use it for Gaming-Music-movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back