Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 5, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #44,911 of 48,561
I use a Sound BlasterX G6 and have really enjoyed it. I used in it direct mode (no dsp) most of the time, but I switch on the simulated 7.1 for some single-player content. Haven't used it for any movies yet though. I've used the G6 as an amp, DAC, and with a stack for surround sound processing. Personally, I wouldn't buy it *just* for that since I don't use the features much, but YMMV.
Would you recommend it over something like the x3 or gsx

Aug 5, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #44,912 of 48,561
I can't compare directly because I don't have experience with the others. I bought my G6 as a starter DAC/amp/virtualizer before I had a separate amp and dac, so that was definitely one of the reasons I chose what I did. The G6 has excellent DAC measurements on Audio Science Review, and its amp is plenty powerful (though not the cleanest with harder to drive headphones). I still play plenty of games on console, so for that reason alone the G6 is worth it for me. Though if I only played/listened on PC, I'd probably just go with the stack + Atmos for Headphones. I obviously can't know exactly what your preferences are, so take my impressions as just that. I don't know much about the GSX, but I can say that if you're just starting and really want one of these devices, the G6 is probably your best option to begin with and then add on to later. The X3 isn't nearly as powerful as an amp. As a dac/virtualizer, I don't know enough to compare. Hope this is helpful.

Aug 5, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #44,913 of 48,561
Hey thanks i do not have any stack or anythinig yet i am just looking at the best route to go. I was debating on getting an x3 to start and then going from there, but then i was reading getting a seperate amp and dac and use dolby atmos or something similar might be the way to go

thanks
I have all the options, except maybe a Realizer. I started with a G6 for DAC/amp, and now it's relegated to used as a Virtualizer when gaming using it's toslink out. I use Dolby Access / DTS:X for movie watching and for games that support them. SBX is great for older games, especially ones that support EAX. You can use Dolby Access / DTS:X for gaming, but the game needs to be Windows Sonic aware, unless you can force the game into 7.1 / Surround. If the game has it's own Headphone Mode, try it first.

For 5.1 music tracks, i use foobar2000 + Sonic Studio III. It's does a great job with the HRTF mix w/o destroying the music.

I don't think we got a consensus whether the X3 supports Virtual Surround mix over it's SPDIF-Out, like the G6 does. Would be nice if it does since it supports 24/96 instead of just 24/48 like the G6.

You can also buy Creative's SBX MB3 software for $30 which will give you the SBX Surround for whatever DAC you go with. I was thinking of buying it and retire the G6.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #44,914 of 48,561
I have all the options, except maybe a Realizer. I started with a G6 for DAC/amp, and now it's relegated to used as a Virtualizer when gaming using it's toslink out. I use Dolby Access / DTS:X for movie watching and for games that support them. SBX is great for older games, especially ones that support EAX. You can use Dolby Access / DTS:X for gaming, but the game needs to be Windows Sonic aware, unless you can force the game into 7.1 / Surround. If the game has it's own Headphone Mode, try it first.

For 5.1 music tracks, i use foobar2000 + Sonic Studio III. It's does a great job with the HRTF mix w/o destroying the music.

I don't think we got a consensus whether the X3 supports Virtual Surround mix over it's SPDIF-Out, like the G6 does. Would be nice if it does since it supports 24/96 instead of just 24/48 like the G6.

You can also buy Creative's SBX MB3 software for $30 which will give you the SBX Surround for whatever DAC you go with. I was thinking of buying it and retire the G6.
thank you for all the help. I am looking for Creative's SBX MB3 site right now is it similar to the G6 minus the hardware also has anyone used the THX Spatial Audio from Razar to compare

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #44,917 of 48,561
One more question if i would buy the stack is there any preference between the
JDS Atom Amp and JDS Atom Dac
or
Schiit Magni 3+ and Schiit Modi

thanks for all the help

There shouldn’t be much of an audible difference at all as they are both neutral stacks with great measurements. I’ve used both and stuck with the Magni because I didn’t like the plastic build of the Atom. On my unit, the top cover flexed a bit when I’d hold it down to plug and unplug cables. But I am waiting on a Topping L30 now, so not sure how much longer I’ll be keeping my Magni Heresy.

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #44,918 of 48,561
I'll be posting the 6XX review as I get home, so I hope you guys like it. In about... 7 hours time. There was a mic cable planned for it, which I wrote into the review with images and sample, but unfortunately they had to cancel it. I'll have to edit those out since it's no longer a thing.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #44,919 of 48,561
So without further delay, here is my long withheld 6XX review (seriously, this thing was done many months ago, save for last minute edits. I know the 6XX has been around for years now, but the release of the review was supposed to coincide with something related to the 6XX and drop, but that didn't end up happening, hence the delay). Anywhoo, here it is. Hope y'all like it.

Sennheiser HD6XX
20200325_113758.jpg
Where to buy: Drop.com (as of review date Aug 2020)

Disclaimer: A special thanks to Drop for sending the 6XX out to me for review. As always, whether products are sent to me or not, I do my best in being 100% honest with my views and opinions. If I don't like a product, I will refuse to write a review of it or at least mention what I don't like about them, though I like to focus on products that people would like or at the very least are interested in. The only bias I have is to my readers and making sure they know about good products.

Intro

Buckle up, because I'm gonna talk history about the HD650. Specifically, MY history with the HD650 (and by extension, the HD6XX).

There's not much that needs to be said about the HD6XX. It's been around for years, as a Drop variant of the legendary HD650. It's the same headphone, mechanically with a different color scheme, and shorter cable. If you've heard a more recent pair of HD650s, then you know what to expect here. Not much that needs to be said, but I'll still say, because they deserve to be talked about at length. They are headphone with a rich HISTORY, even if they're not exactly ancient in terms of headphones.

To those of you who have been following me for at least a little while, you know I have already reviewed the HD650. The HD650 review was done just a few years short of a full decade ago. It was also at a time where I was still very much learning about all these different types of sound signatures, and finding my own voice when writing, as well as preferences in headphones. It was at a time where I mainly only cared about a v-shaped type sound, where I mainly wanted bass and treble clarity. Nowadays, I've leaned towards warmer, and more balanced type of sounds, but I still very much enjoy a v-shaped sound, among many other styles of headphone tunings. I love headphones. As long as they're not terrible, I'll probably have good things to say about their more benevolent traits.

My personal history with the HD650 was a special one. When I first started my journey into audiophilia, it was at a time when headphones were having a sort of explosion in public interest. This was at a time when Beats by Dre really got people interested in headphones. Say what you wanna say about Beats, but the headphone world wouldn't be where it is today without Beats.

This was a time when the Audio-Technica M50s were the go to starter headphone. Even people who had never heard them knew to recommend the M50. It was also a time when there was a 3-way race in mid-fi between the Beyerdynamic DT880, AKG K701/702, and of course, the venerable Sennheiser HD650. Three very different sound profiles that would cover all types of sonic preferences. A time when Audeze and Hifiman were just starting to truly gain a footing in the higher end market with the LCD-2 and HE-6. It was a special time indeed.

I already had a year or so with my headphone guide, which at the time was more of a checklist of what I thought was good and what wasn't. I still hadn't truly written full reviews then. The HD650 would actually be what I consider the birth of my full reviews. Not just footnotes and scores. But let me rewind a few years to a time when I had only experienced the original Astro A40s gaming headset, and Audio Technica AD700s. Those were my 'high end' in those days.

The HD650 was that ONE headphone that (at the time) I'd deem impossible for me to buy in terms of price, but felt was the holy grail for me. I only knew of it as that really pretty headphone that a few anime girls wore in some images...

(image credit: wootazn | Pixel Heaven August 2009)

I think they were something like $600 back in those days. I told myself I'd never spend that much. And so for a few years, the HD650 was unobtainable to me, but super interesting, and something I craved to experience one day.

By the time I experienced the HD650, I had already destroyed my original plan to never spend that much for a headphone. I had already tried the other mid-fi cans as well. Which at the time were more my flavor. Even so, the HD650 was a revelatory headphone. It completely changed my outlook on warmer, less treble-forward headphones. It paved way for headphones like the LCD2 which I also truly loved, despite them being a departure of my preferences, treble-wise.

So yes, the HD650 was a legend to me. In many ways, that hasn't changed. It's been plenty of years since, and many headphones have come and gone, but one thing has stayed constant: The HD650 is STILL an incredibly beloved headphone. I believe a good headphone is good forever, even if something new comes along that may do things better. So yes, nowadays, the DT880, K701/K702 don't get talked about as much, due to the overwhelming amount of competition. There's too many options, and even though they're still fantastic headphones, many people have opted to look into the next, shiny, new thing. A shame, as they too deserve a lot of love.

However, one headphone still lingers in people's minds despite it being long in the tooth in age, and all of its competition. The HD650. The legend that refuses to fade into obsolescence. I'd wager that in 10 more years, the 650 will still be around in some form, and remain beloved.

Which brings us to the latter years. As if the 650 needed some help, Drop injected immense interest in them by transforming them into the 6XX we know today, at a cost that would've sounded unbelievable all those years ago when I started my journey. No longer was the 650 'unobtainable'. Now, the masses could all truly forego all the nonsense and dive straight into one of the greatest headphones of all time. Scratch that, I wouldn't say it's one of the greatest headphones of all time. The HD650 is, to me, arguably the greatest headphone of all time. I'll explain.

Build Quality

It's funny to say that even at the time of the original HD650's release, the overall shape and design had been around for a long time with headphones like the HD580 Jubilee. Even so, I still believe the HD6XX design looks beautiful today. It is equal parts classic and modern looking. I've always loved headphones with minimalistic outer grills which expose the back of the drivers. It's a design choice that immediately gives me the feeling of it being high end. No tacky excess. Just tasteful elegance. In now classic Drop fashion, the 6XX is a super dark color with a slight gloss on the surface. It isn't overly glossy, and doesn't attract fingerprints. Now, the materials used aren't exactly high end, which has always been somewhat of a problem with the 650 and now the 6XX. They're mainly plastic, and they can be prone to cracking and chipping in particularly on the headband.

Drop tends to have a black color scheme to their variants of headphones, but the 6XX actually has a very dark blue color to it. In most light, the headphone looks a very dark grey to black, and for all intents and purposes will appear like that to most people. It is only under severe scrutiny and light that the slight bluish tint will expose itself.

Headband:

Starting with the headband, not much has changed with the 6XX.

The top side of the headband has the Sennheiser branding embossed on top in a darker tone. It's a subtle level of branding, and can actually be difficult to see unless shining light on it in a specific way. I like this understated way of labeling a headphone.

The underside uses the 650 style of padding, meaning that the fabric-covered padding will mainly touch the scalp at 10 and 2 on top of your head, with 12 o'clock being sunken in so as to not touch the top of your dome. I've heard complaints that people prefer the HD600/580 style of padding which utilizes padding in the center as well. I feel this two-end padding makes logical sense, as to force contact only on the sides, and leave the very top alone. As someone who has used a large variety of headphones, a top of the head hotspot usually makes or breaks a headphone's comfort, so I'm with Sennheiser on this one.

The extension arms seems to be made of some sort of light metal/aluminum (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). It has an incredibly generous amount of extension, where all but the biggest of colossal heads would have absolutely ample space leftover when maxed out. As you adjust, it has audible clicking noises, but no markers. You'll have to adjust by sight.

The forks that attach to the cups allow for minimal vertical and horizontal swivel adjustment, just enough to allow the cups to rest flat on most heads without any issues. Note that forcing the top of the cups inward would allow more degree of movement, but force the snap on attachment of the headband to the cups to come out of position. This actually makes it easy to detach the cups from the headband, if you ever wanted to swap the full headband assembly from the cups.

On the outside of the forks on the top is where the 6XX label and L/R are placed. On the inside is where the Serial Number lies on the left side, and Massdrop branding on the right side. The serial number is merely a sticker if for some reason you felt like removing it.

Cups:

The 6XX's cups are as nameless, logoless, brandless as the 650. The outside of the cups are the bare black grills you've come to expect from a 650, leaving exposed the rear of the driver mounting, which looks akin to an eye shape with a silver backing in place to break up all the exposed black plastic. I love this aesthetic, as mentioned before. Regardless of how long it's been around, it still looks modern today.

The bottom of the cups is where the connectors are placed, using the (proprietary?) connectors used in the 58X/600/650/660S) line of Sennheiser headphones. I can't say I'm a fan of this connector, as it requires quite a bit of force to force the cable into the housing, and I don't have confidence in the very small metallic plugs used for contact. But that's just me. It may not even be a problem. I wish Drop would've modified this to use a more universal type of connector, like 3.5mm or mini xlr. Not required, but it would've been nice.

Pads:

Ah baby, we're back to some good ol' velour. I could never go complain too badly when it comes to velour pads. The 6XX sticks to its 650 roots, with the same pad design and material. That's all I could ask for. No need for extreme changes here. They worked back then, they work today. The inner material is likely basic foam of the non-memory variety, which is also just fine. Keeps them feeling lightweight and breathable.

They are oval in shape with a long but narrow opening. I doubt many people will have a serious complaint about ears touching the inner lining or bottoming out, but then again, these types of nitpicks fall out of my general issues with most headphones. If I can tuck my ears into the openings, that's all I need.

The drivers have a foam covering which aren't directly attached to the pads, and merely rest on top of the driver cover. The pads are easily removable, though aren't exactly universal so don't expect easy pad swapping with anything other than aftermarket pads specifically designed for this form of Sennheiser headphone.

Cable:

This is one area Drop has decided to alter compared to the original HD650. Gone is the very long 9ft cable on the 650, and in place is a shorter, more manageable 6ft cable. Though I personally prefer longer cables (I tend to sit far away from what I plug my headphonbes to), I can definitely understand the decision to go with a shorter cable. I feel 6ft is generally the sweet spot in most cases.

The headphone side of the cable uses the typical dual mini plugs found on the 650 and its siblings. Personally would've liked a modified connector for something like 3.5mm, but it's not a huge deal.

The split could've been placed a bit further (6 inches further down would've been perfect). As it stands I feel it's too close to my neck. As the left and right side join, they remain encased in a nice rubber. Doesn't feel like super high quality or anything special, but I prefer a basic cable that isn't going to kink or have exotic materials that make a cable stiff or retain memory. I'm more than happy with the cable material here. It's not a grippy rubber, which other headphones may have, and drive me crazy.

The plug end to the source terminates into 3.5mm, with a 6.3mm snap-on adapter. The plug has a good amount of strain relief. I feel it's more than durable for daily use. No complaints.

Final Build Impressions:

The 6XX has a tried and tested design. The only issue I have with the build is the headband itself. I've heard they can be prone to cracking and snapping. I dunno if this was ever addressed in the many years the HD580/600/650 have been out, but I'd still be very careful with it. The unit I have on hand has a minor chip in the paint in the back of the headband, which doesn't ruin the integrity of the structure itself, but I'm quite surprised that it was even there in the first place. Thankfully it's only seen with some direct light. I do wonder.

The rest of the headphone's build seems very durable, and I doubt I'd see any major issues with it even years down the line. The extension arms and cups seem built to last. The pads are likely easily replaceable nowadays with many aftermarket pads available for these lines of Sennheiser headphones.

The cable's only questionable aspect for me would be the mini plugs themselves, and I don't really know how durable they are. Sennheiser has used them forever, so they probably aren't really an issue in terms of longevity.

All in all, I wouldn't feel the need to baby the 6XX, with the exception of exercising some caution around the headband. I'd say the 6XX's build quality gets a pass from me, with a slight reservation for the finish.

Accessories

The 6XX doesn't come with much, other than it's protective case, a booklet, and the included 1'4" (6.3mm) snap on adapter.

Case - A very nice case to throw them in to keep them safe in storage. It's quite large, and has a lot of inner foam to keep the 6XX protected. I would've preferred a carrying case, but this is a solid secondary choice.

Comfort

Weight:

The weight without the cable is 260g. Considering all my most recent headphones have weighed quite a bit more, the 6XX is refreshingly lightweight for a full-sized headphone. The lightweight nature doesn't automatically means it's built poorly either. I'd be more than likely to toss these around much more than most headphones I've owned, though I'd be careful with the headband.

Headband:

While the padding has a notch in the middle that alleviates any potential hotspotting on top of the head, the 6XX can still stand to be a little more comfortable on the head. It's generally comfortable, but I do find myself shuffling and readjusting them every once in awhile as the two areas of headband padding still has a minor presence that needs to be relieved during prolonged sessions.

Ear Pads:

The oval-shaped velour ear pads are fantastic for comfort. Very breathable, with enough density in the foam to keep the pads from bottoming out. The pads are very large, with openings that are equally large, albeit narrow. They should still allow for most ears to fit inside without feeling restricted.

Clamp:

If you know Sennheiser, you know that you need to expect some clamp. This is probably the least comfortable aspect of the 6XX. It is clampy by default. I absolutely recommend you stretching the 6XX over some books, a box, or whatever you can find that can let them rest with the drivers far away from one another. It will allow the clamp to be reduced significantly. The extension arms can handle the punishment, and if you feel you've overdone it, you can just bend them inward a bit and put them back in position for some moderate clamping.

Personally, I like some moderate clamp for security, but not as much as the headphones come by default. After having stretched them out and getting them to where I wanted, the 6XX is very good in terms of long term comfort.

Final Comfort Impressions:

The headband padding is probably the only area I'd want improved, but it's really not a big deal. The 6XX is one of those headphones I'd wear all day with just a few moments to readjust every hour or so. It's also one of the only full-sized headphones I can lay down in bed with. I can't think of many open-backed, full-sized headphones I could do that with.

Noise Control

As a fully open-backed headphone, you can't expect miracles here. Noise isolation is poor, as is to be expected. You will hear external noises quite easily. That being said, I do think noise leakage is not a huge deal. Certainly not ideal for a 'same room' noise control, though for controlling noise leakage into other rooms, the 6XX isn't that bad, and I feel a closed door is all it takes, even at high volume. It's certainly no planarmagnetic, which could function as mini speakers. Most dynamic drivers don't tend output sounds loud enough to travel to other rooms with an annoying amount of volume.

For me, as long as I can listen in a room with the door closed and not disturb people in other rooms, it's all the noise leakage control I'd need.

Sound

As I've stated earlier, The HD-650 (and by extension, the 6XX) is legendary in the audiophile community. Warm, full bodied, exceptionally balanced, without the egregious upper range that many headphones tend to have. Now, it's not perfect, but it's carved into a niche that not many other headphone can hope to contend with. The 6XX is pure, earthy, organic goodness.

Bass:

There aren't many open-backed headphones that I've heard with dynamic drivers that have a potent bassline quite like the 6XX. There are even less than can do it without making vocal sections sound overly boomy and unnatural. The 6XX somehow manages to bring out a lively amount of bass in its thump, rumble, and depth. It's not the CLEANEST bass you'll ever hear, but it's enhanced just enough to give the 6XX a character that leads with an enjoyable amount of raw energy. These are definitely fun sounding down low, even though the 6XX is still a headphone that will be known for its great balance and mellow, mild mannered presentation of sound overall. It's like an adult dressed for business, yet one who wears funny, multi-colored socks underneath the slacks. It knows how to be professional, but can party along with the others.

The bass has a nice amount of texture and lengthy decay, aiding it's full bodied presentation. It's not going to reach planar levels of depth, but it is still quite respectable for an open-backed headphone in this regard.

Checking frequencies, while low in volume, you can hear the drivers make a good amount of effort in outputting as low as 25hz. A great result, meaning most bass will be heard and felt, which in actual practice delivers in spades. So if you're someone who needs potency in their bass, without going full basshead, the 6XX will not disappoint.

Midrange to Treble:

To bring back how I felt about the HD650 many years ago, the 6XX has not changed my mindset on the midrange one bit. I don't think there's much that I need to say different from what I said back then, so I'll simply quote myself here (with some minor corrections). It is exactly how I feel even today.

"This is the star of the show. And when I say star... I mean, it is absolutely one of the best interpretations of midrange reproduction I have ever heard on any headphone. Once I heard the (HD6XX), it made me see midrange importance in a whole new light. The vocals are so sweet, so upfront, so rich, so haunting! Based on that aspect alone, I recommend this headphone to ANYONE looking for a headphone that does vocals some amazing justice."

During frequency testing (note: what I hear may not be indicative of published measurements and graphs, but is how I personally interpret the sound), from bass to early midrange, there was plenty of presence in all ranges. There is a bit of prominence at 3.5khz and 5khz (the headphone's loudest point), which may be the only two points of contention in terms of fatiguing aspects of sound. Personally, neither area is enough to cause a huge problem to my ears, though you may wanna take note if you're sensitive to those frequencies. Continuing on, there's a minor dip at 6khz, to slow rise back to 7khz, to another slow reduction in volume which then continues with a moderate, neither lackluster, nor overbearing presence up to 10khz. Beyond 10khz continues being present without being overly strong.

So while the 650 at some point was known to be overly dark or veiled at a point in time, the 6XX and latter variants of the 650 improved the response to become much more balanced and detailed, without over-emphasizing the details to the point of hurting its pleasant, mild mannered characteristics.

The 6XX is still quite revealing, considering how well balanced it is, though the upper range takes a back seat in forwardness.

Soundstage:

The soundstage on the 6XX is something that even back then with the 650 was something I didn't particularly find all that noteworthy. This can simply be due to the fact that the midrange is so focused and upfront, and treble isn't particularly a focal point of the 6XX sound, there's no logical way to give the presentation of its sound all that much space for a soundstage to work its magic. Realistically speaking, you're gonna end up sacrificing some midrange forwardness for soundstage, or vice-versa. That's not to say the 6XX doesn't benefit from DSPs that can enhance soundstages, but in its default state, the soundstage to my ears is merely whats to be expected, and that's borderline average for an open headphone.

Of course, with surround processing DSPs, whatever weakness the 6XX has in soundstaging and imaging can be mitigated considerably. As such, the 6XX can easily be a worthwhile headphone for things like gaming with a moderately big, virtual surround soundstage, though certainly not among the best in this regard. I'll mention more of this in the gaming section.

Amplification

At 300ohm, you will want to feed the 6XX some good, clean power. It has impedance spikes in the bass that can reach 500 ohms, so to mitigate the bass sounding starved and weak, I definitely recommend a moderately decent amp. Something like a Schiit Hel is a great starting point and should provide decent power for to cover the 6XX's base requirements. I hear the 650/6XX scales with better amplification, so take that as you will. You will likely get more out of the 6XX the better the gear that is paired up with it. All I know is that it sounds excellent off both the Hel as well as the Magni 3/Modi 3 combo.

As for what type of amplifiers to use, I think the 6XX is such a special headphone in that it will all depend on whether you want to offset its warmer, musical traits with more detail and precision of something like a detailed solid state amp, or if you want to enhance the already great inherent traits that it has with a tube amplifier. The world is yours with the 6XX. Experiment as you see fit.

Gaming

If you've read my impression of the HD650 and gaming, you'd know by now that I find these good, but not the most optimal of all gaming headphones. For instance, the cheaper models of old with the 555 and 595 up to the updated variants of the 558 and 598/599 do better for competitive gaming purpose do to a better soundstage and positional accuracy. The 6XX's soundstage is a little smaller, tighter, and harder to portray rear positional depth as those other Sennheiser headphones. Even despite these limitations, it's not as they are absolutely poor. They're fine. Not AMAZING, but it's not as using the 6XX will keep you from doing well in competitive gaming. The 650 and in turn the 6XX are of a higher tier of general sound quality, and add an additional layer of fun and immersion in comparison to those lower tier models. As such, I find the 6XX to be a better headphone for casual/fun, and in turn, general gaming as a whole.

Unless you are in tryhard mode, and need JUST a heavily competitive leaning headphone, the 6XX will suit most people just fine for all forms of gaming. Personally (and for over half a year as of August 2020), I've given up messing about with many different headphones and use the 6XX for all gaming purposes, whether casual or competitive. I have recently been pulled into playing a lot of Call of Duty's Warzone (battle royale) mode with my closest friends. I've only been using the 6XX during this timespan, with great results. I have been able to pre-fire through walls knowing there are enemies behind it simply by the audio cues.

I'm not the greatest Warzone player, but I have never felt like the 6XX has limited me in being able to correctly place enemy movement. Vertical placement is another thing altogether, but that is an issue with the game, not the 6XX. Until more games move to newer DSPs like Dolby Atmos via in game options, vertical cues are a limitation that 5.1/7.1 sound processors such as Dolby Headphone and Creative's SBX can't fully realize.

If I had to make a definitive choice of between any of those competitive leaning Sennheiser headphones, or the 6XX, I'd still put all my money on the 6XX, any day of the week. I'd rather take a headphone very good in most things, than a headphone amazing in one thing. The 6XX is pound for pound the better choice, generally speaking.

To sum up gaming purposes, these are great for casual/fun gaming, and good, not GREAT, for competitive gaming. If you're focused mainly on competitive over just general gaming, then perhaps you're better off with some other Sennheiser offerings like the 598/599, or headsets like the Game One/PC37X. For everyone else, the higher fidelity sound of the 6XX, with its rich bass, luscious midrange, and smoother treble will more than suffice for most other forms of gaming.

Personal Recommendations

Media:

The 6XX is a somewhat traditional all rounder. Meaning there's very little you can't use the 6XX with. It just works exceptionally well for whatever you throw at it. From just watching regular TV, podcasts, games, movies, music, you name it, the 6XX has you covered. It does all of it so well, you'll be hard pressed to be disappointed in what it can't do. Perhaps hardcore detail retrieval would be better suited for other upper midrange and treble enhanced headphones, but otherwise, there's not much here to dislike.

Practicality:

The 6XX is best suited for home and office use due to its slightly higher than normal amplification requirements, as well as open-backed design, meaning you won't want to be near others when using the 6XX. They certainly won't leak out through your office into another's listening space, but I certainly wouldn't go out to a public place with them on. I suggest keeping the 6XX at home near your computer setup or listening station.

They're also not exactly portable so I wouldn't recommend trying to throw them in a bag for transportable uses either.

Who Is It For?

The 6XX is for nearly anyone and everyone looking for a cost effective mid to high end headphone that won't break the bank. Drop has allowed the 650 to reach a wider audience with the release of the 6XX, and I insist anyone wanting a $200 pair of headphones to look long and hard at the 6XX. Unless you're a treblehead or mainly just detail focused, the 6XX is for those who just want to enjoy the rich, lifelike sound, and all day musical enjoyment. 2020 is a rather spoiled year for quality headphones at a low price, and it all starts (and may just stop) with the 6XX. I recommend the 6XX to practically anyone, especially those starting their audiophile journey. You may find that there's little to compel you away from the familiar loveliness that is the 6XX. It's that good.

Likes and Dislikes

• Price
  • Long term comfort
  • Bass
  • Midrange
  • Tonality

Dislikes:
  • Initial clamping force
  • Headband padding could be better
  • Wish Sennheiser updated the cable connector to something else
  • Headband durability may be questionable

Final Impressions

Going back to what I said in the introduction. Why are they, one of (if not) the greatest headphone of all time? When I say greatest, I don't mean the very best. There's higher end headphones that do many of the things they do, and probably do them better. However, from its pedigree, its affordability, its legendary cult status, its mass market appeal, the HD650/6XX is that one headphone that for the vast majority of people, know that they're in for a wonderful, consistent headphone experience.

It doesn't have to be the best to be the greatest. It just has to be that one headphone that you know you can tuck away, come back to years later and go, "Yeah, I remember why I love these so much." They're that morning cup of coffee. They're the fireplace in the middle of dead winter. They're that familiar, pleasant sensation of being...home. You put them on, and you know they won't make your ears bleed. Their timbre, their forward presence without being shouty or aggressive nature. Their smoothness, their well mannered balance that errs on the side of caution. You can wake up in the morning, and put these on and know they're gonna sound great without straining your ears. You can lay down in bed at the end of the day and know they'll soothe your body towards slumber. Their appeal is all-encompassing.

In case you haven't realized it yet, you really should experience these headphones at least once. If you're on the fence on what headphones to get in the price range, it's almost a guarantee that you should really set your sights on the HD6XX. It really is that simple.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #44,920 of 48,561
I received my pair of 6XXs a couple of weeks ago, and while I don't have the breadth of experience for comparisons as Mad Lust, I can say that I am very pleased with them and that this review definitely captures their best qualities. For anyone looking for an all-around pair of headphones, or someone who is looking to purchase a few sets that offer different signatures, the 6XX is a must. I can't imagine anyone disliking the sound signature unless they're a bass head or treble masochist.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #44,921 of 48,561
So without further delay, here is my long withheld 6XX review (seriously, this thing was done many months ago, save for last minute edits). Anywhoo, here it is. Hope y'all like it.

Sennheiser HD6XX
20200325_113758.jpg
Where to buy: Drop.com (as of review date Aug 2020)

Disclaimer: A special thanks to Drop for sending the 6XX out to me for review. As always, whether products are sent to me or not, I do my best in being 100% honest with my views and opinions. If I don't like a product, I will refuse to write a review of it or at least mention what I don't like about them, though I like to focus on products that people would like or at the very least are interested in. The only bias I have is to my readers and making sure they know about good products.

Intro

Buckle up, because I'm gonna talk history about the HD650. Specifically, MY history with the HD650 (and by extension, the HD6XX).

There's not much that needs to be said about the HD6XX. It's been around for years, as a Drop variant of the legendary HD650. It's the same headphone, mechanically with a different color scheme, and shorter cable. If you've heard a more recent pair of HD650s, then you know what to expect here. Not much that needs to be said, but I'll still say, because they deserve to be talked about at length. They are headphone with a rich HISTORY, even if they're not exactly ancient in terms of headphones.

To those of you who have been following me for at least a little while, you know I have already reviewed the HD650. The HD650 review was done just a few years short of a full decade ago. It was also at a time where I was still very much learning about all these different types of sound signatures, and finding my own voice when writing, as well as preferences in headphones. It was at a time where I mainly only cared about a v-shaped type sound, where I mainly wanted bass and treble clarity. Nowadays, I've leaned towards warmer, and more balanced type of sounds, but I still very much enjoy a v-shaped sound, among many other styles of headphone tunings. I love headphones. As long as they're not terrible, I'll probably have good things to say about their more benevolent traits.

My personal history with the HD650 was a special one. When I first started my journey into audiophilia, it was at a time when headphones were having a sort of explosion in public interest. This was at a time when Beats by Dre really got people interested in headphones. Say what you wanna say about Beats, but the headphone world wouldn't be where it is today without Beats.

This was a time when the Audio-Technica M50s were the go to starter headphone. Even people who had never heard them knew to recommend the M50. It was also a time when there was a 3-way race in mid-fi between the Beyerdynamic DT880, AKG K701/702, and of course, the venerable Sennheiser HD650. Three very different sound profiles that would cover all types of sonic preferences. A time when Audeze and Hifiman were just starting to truly gain a footing in the higher end market with the LCD-2 and HE-6. It was a special time indeed.

I already had a year or so with my headphone guide, which at the time was more of a checklist of what I thought was good and what wasn't. I still hadn't truly written full reviews then. The HD650 would actually be what I consider the birth of my full reviews. Not just footnotes and scores. But let me rewind a few years to a time when I had only experienced the original Astro A40s gaming headset, and Audio Technica AD700s. Those were my 'high end' in those days.

The HD650 was that ONE headphone that (at the time) I'd deem impossible for me to buy in terms of price, but felt was the holy grail for me. I only knew of it as that really pretty headphone that a few anime girls wore in some images...

(image credit: wootazn | Pixel Heaven August 2009)

I think they were something like $600 back in those days. I told myself I'd never spend that much. And so for a few years, the HD650 was unobtainable to me, but super interesting, and something I craved to experience one day.

By the time I experienced the HD650, I had already destroyed my original plan to never spend that much for a headphone. I had already tried the other mid-fi cans as well. Which at the time were more my flavor. Even so, the HD650 was a revelatory headphone. It completely changed my outlook on warmer, less treble-forward headphones. It paved way for headphones like the LCD2 which I also truly loved, despite them being a departure of my preferences, treble-wise.

So yes, the HD650 was a legend to me. In many ways, that hasn't changed. It's been plenty of years since, and many headphones have come and gone, but one thing has stayed constant: The HD650 is STILL an incredibly beloved headphone. I believe a good headphone is good forever, even if something new comes along that may do things better. So yes, nowadays, the DT880, K701/K702 don't get talked about as much, due to the overwhelming amount of competition. There's too many options, and even though they're still fantastic headphones, many people have opted to look into the next, shiny, new thing. A shame, as they too deserve a lot of love.

However, one headphone still lingers in people's minds despite it being long in the tooth in age, and all of its competition. The HD650. The legend that refuses to fade into obsolescence. I'd wager that in 10 more years, the 650 will still be around in some form, and remain beloved.

Which brings us to the latter years. As if the 650 needed some help, Drop injected immense interest in them by transforming them into the 6XX we know today, at a cost that would've sounded unbelievable all those years ago when I started my journey. No longer was the 650 'unobtainable'. Now, the masses could all truly forego all the nonsense and dive straight into one of the greatest headphones of all time. Scratch that, I wouldn't say it's one of the greatest headphones of all time. The HD650 is, to me, arguably the greatest headphone of all time. I'll explain.

Build Quality

It's funny to say that even at the time of the original HD650's release, the overall shape and design had been around for a long time with headphones like the HD580 Jubilee. Even so, I still believe the HD6XX design looks beautiful today. It is equal parts classic and modern looking. I've always loved headphones with minimalistic outer grills which expose the back of the drivers. It's a design choice that immediately gives me the feeling of it being high end. No tacky excess. Just tasteful elegance. In now classic Drop fashion, the 6XX is a super dark color with a slight gloss on the surface. It isn't overly glossy, and doesn't attract fingerprints. Now, the materials used aren't exactly high end, which has always been somewhat of a problem with the 650 and now the 6XX. They're mainly plastic, and they can be prone to cracking and chipping in particularly on the headband.

Drop tends to have a black color scheme to their variants of headphones, but the 6XX actually has a very dark blue color to it. In most light, the headphone looks a very dark grey to black, and for all intents and purposes will appear like that to most people. It is only under severe scrutiny and light that the slight bluish tint will expose itself.

Headband:

Starting with the headband, not much has changed with the 6XX.

The top side of the headband has the Sennheiser branding embossed on top in a darker tone. It's a subtle level of branding, and can actually be difficult to see unless shining light on it in a specific way. I like this understated way of labeling a headphone.

The underside uses the 650 style of padding, meaning that the fabric-covered padding will mainly touch the scalp at 10 and 2 on top of your head, with 12 o'clock being sunken in so as to not touch the top of your dome. I've heard complaints that people prefer the HD600/580 style of padding which utilizes padding in the center as well. I feel this two-end padding makes logical sense, as to force contact only on the sides, and leave the very top alone. As someone who has used a large variety of headphones, a top of the head hotspot usually makes or breaks a headphone's comfort, so I'm with Sennheiser on this one.

The extension arms seems to be made of some sort of light metal/aluminum (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). It has an incredibly generous amount of extension, where all but the biggest of colossal heads would have absolutely ample space leftover when maxed out. As you adjust, it has audible clicking noises, but no markers. You'll have to adjust by sight.

The forks that attach to the cups allow for minimal vertical and horizontal swivel adjustment, just enough to allow the cups to rest flat on most heads without any issues. Note that forcing the top of the cups inward would allow more degree of movement, but force the snap on attachment of the headband to the cups to come out of position. This actually makes it easy to detach the cups from the headband, if you ever wanted to swap the full headband assembly from the cups.

On the outside of the forks on the top is where the 6XX label and L/R are placed. On the inside is where the Serial Number lies on the left side, and Massdrop branding on the right side. The serial number is merely a sticker if for some reason you felt like removing it.

Cups:

The 6XX's cups are as nameless, logoless, brandless as the 650. The outside of the cups are the bare black grills you've come to expect from a 650, leaving exposed the rear of the driver mounting, which looks akin to an eye shape with a silver backing in place to break up all the exposed black plastic. I love this aesthetic, as mentioned before. Regardless of how long it's been around, it still looks modern today.

The bottom of the cups is where the connectors are placed, using the (proprietary?) connectors used in the 58X/600/650/660S) line of Sennheiser headphones. I can't say I'm a fan of this connector, as it requires quite a bit of force to force the cable into the housing, and I don't have confidence in the very small metallic plugs used for contact. But that's just me. It may not even be a problem. I wish Drop would've modified this to use a more universal type of connector, like 3.5mm or mini xlr. Not required, but it would've been nice.

Pads:

Ah baby, we're back to some good ol' velour. I could never go complain too badly when it comes to velour pads. The 6XX sticks to its 650 roots, with the same pad design and material. That's all I could ask for. No need for extreme changes here. They worked back then, they work today. The inner material is likely basic foam of the non-memory variety, which is also just fine. Keeps them feeling lightweight and breathable.

They are oval in shape with a long but narrow opening. I doubt many people will have a serious complaint about ears touching the inner lining or bottoming out, but then again, these types of nitpicks fall out of my general issues with most headphones. If I can tuck my ears into the openings, that's all I need.

The drivers have a foam covering which aren't directly attached to the pads, and merely rest on top of the driver cover. The pads are easily removable, though aren't exactly universal so don't expect easy pad swapping with anything other than aftermarket pads specifically designed for this form of Sennheiser headphone.

Cable:

This is one area Drop has decided to alter compared to the original HD650. Gone is the very long 9ft cable on the 650, and in place is a shorter, more manageable 6ft cable. Though I personally prefer longer cables (I tend to sit far away from what I plug my headphonbes to), I can definitely understand the decision to go with a shorter cable. I feel 6ft is generally the sweet spot in most cases.

The headphone side of the cable uses the typical dual mini plugs found on the 650 and its siblings. Personally would've liked a modified connector for something like 3.5mm, but it's not a huge deal.

The split could've been placed a bit further (6 inches further down would've been perfect). As it stands I feel it's too close to my neck. As the left and right side join, they remain encased in a nice rubber. Doesn't feel like super high quality or anything special, but I prefer a basic cable that isn't going to kink or have exotic materials that make a cable stiff or retain memory. I'm more than happy with the cable material here. It's not a grippy rubber, which other headphones may have, and drive me crazy.

The plug end to the source terminates into 3.5mm, with a 6.3mm snap-on adapter. The plug has a good amount of strain relief. I feel it's more than durable for daily use. No complaints.

Final Build Impressions:

The 6XX has a tried and tested design. The only issue I have with the build is the headband itself. I've heard they can be prone to cracking and snapping. I dunno if this was ever addressed in the many years the HD580/600/650 have been out, but I'd still be very careful with it. The unit I have on hand has a minor chip in the paint in the back of the headband, which doesn't ruin the integrity of the structure itself, but I'm quite surprised that it was even there in the first place. Thankfully it's only seen with some direct light. I do wonder.

The rest of the headphone's build seems very durable, and I doubt I'd see any major issues with it even years down the line. The extension arms and cups seem built to last. The pads are likely easily replaceable nowadays with many aftermarket pads available for these lines of Sennheiser headphones.

The cable's only questionable aspect for me would be the mini plugs themselves, and I don't really know how durable they are. Sennheiser has used them forever, so they probably aren't really an issue in terms of longevity.

All in all, I wouldn't feel the need to baby the 6XX, with the exception of exercising some caution around the headband. I'd say the 6XX's build quality gets a pass from me, with a slight reservation for the finish.

Accessories

The 6XX doesn't come with much, other than it's protective case, a booklet, and the included 1'4" (6.3mm) snap on adapter.

Case - A very nice case to throw them in to keep them safe in storage. It's quite large, and has a lot of inner foam to keep the 6XX protected. I would've preferred a carrying case, but this is a solid secondary choice.

Comfort

Weight:

The weight without the cable is 260g. Considering all my most recent headphones have weighed quite a bit more, the 6XX is refreshingly lightweight for a full-sized headphone. The lightweight nature doesn't automatically means it's built poorly either. I'd be more than likely to toss these around much more than most headphones I've owned, though I'd be careful with the headband.

Headband:

While the padding has a notch in the middle that alleviates any potential hotspotting on top of the head, the 6XX can still stand to be a little more comfortable on the head. It's generally comfortable, but I do find myself shuffling and readjusting them every once in awhile as the two areas of headband padding still has a minor presence that needs to be relieved during prolonged sessions.

Ear Pads:

The oval-shaped velour ear pads are fantastic for comfort. Very breathable, with enough density in the foam to keep the pads from bottoming out. The pads are very large, with openings that are equally large, albeit narrow. They should still allow for most ears to fit inside without feeling restricted.

Clamp:

If you know Sennheiser, you know that you need to expect some clamp. This is probably the least comfortable aspect of the 6XX. It is clampy by default. I absolutely recommend you stretching the 6XX over some books, a box, or whatever you can find that can let them rest with the drivers far away from one another. It will allow the clamp to be reduced significantly. The extension arms can handle the punishment, and if you feel you've overdone it, you can just bend them inward a bit and put them back in position for some moderate clamping.

Personally, I like some moderate clamp for security, but not as much as the headphones come by default. After having stretched them out and getting them to where I wanted, the 6XX is very good in terms of long term comfort.

Final Comfort Impressions:

The headband padding is probably the only area I'd want improved, but it's really not a big deal. The 6XX is one of those headphones I'd wear all day with just a few moments to readjust every hour or so. It's also one of the only full-sized headphones I can lay down in bed with. I can't think of many open-backed, full-sized headphones I could do that with.

Noise Control

As a fully open-backed headphone, you can't expect miracles here. Noise isolation is poor, as is to be expected. You will hear external noises quite easily. That being said, I do think noise leakage is not a huge deal. Certainly not ideal for a 'same room' noise control, though for controlling noise leakage into other rooms, the 6XX isn't that bad, and I feel a closed door is all it takes, even at high volume. It's certainly no planarmagnetic, which could function as mini speakers. Most dynamic drivers don't tend output sounds loud enough to travel to other rooms with an annoying amount of volume.

For me, as long as I can listen in a room with the door closed and not disturb people in other rooms, it's all the noise leakage control I'd need.

Sound

As I've stated earlier, The HD-650 (and by extension, the 6XX) is legendary in the audiophile community. Warm, full bodied, exceptionally balanced, without the egregious upper range that many headphones tend to have. Now, it's not perfect, but it's carved into a niche that not many other headphone can hope to contend with. The 6XX is pure, earthy, organic goodness.

Bass:

There aren't many open-backed headphones that I've heard with dynamic drivers that have a potent bassline quite like the 6XX. There are even less than can do it without making vocal sections sound overly boomy and unnatural. The 6XX somehow manages to bring out a lively amount of bass in its thump, rumble, and depth. It's not the CLEANEST bass you'll ever hear, but it's enhanced just enough to give the 6XX a character that leads with an enjoyable amount of raw energy. These are definitely fun sounding down low, even though the 6XX is still a headphone that will be known for its great balance and mellow, mild mannered presentation of sound overall. It's like an adult dressed for business, yet one who wears funny, multi-colored socks underneath the slacks. It knows how to be professional, but can party along with the others.

The bass has a nice amount of texture and lengthy decay, aiding it's full bodied presentation. It's not going to reach planar levels of depth, but it is still quite respectable for an open-backed headphone in this regard.

Checking frequencies, while low in volume, you can hear the drivers make a good amount of effort in outputting as low as 25hz. A great result, meaning most bass will be heard and felt, which in actual practice delivers in spades. So if you're someone who needs potency in their bass, without going full basshead, the 6XX will not disappoint.

Midrange to Treble:

To bring back how I felt about the HD650 many years ago, the 6XX has not changed my mindset on the midrange one bit. I don't think there's much that I need to say different from what I said back then, so I'll simply quote myself here (with some minor corrections). It is exactly how I feel even today.

"This is the star of the show. And when I say star... I mean, it is absolutely one of the best interpretations of midrange reproduction I have ever heard on any headphone. Once I heard the (HD6XX), it made me see midrange importance in a whole new light. The vocals are so sweet, so upfront, so rich, so haunting! Based on that aspect alone, I recommend this headphone to ANYONE looking for a headphone that does vocals some amazing justice."

During frequency testing (note: what I hear may not be indicative of published measurements and graphs, but is how I personally interpret the sound), from bass to early midrange, there was plenty of presence in all ranges. There is a bit of prominence at 3.5khz and 5khz (the headphone's loudest point), which may be the only two points of contention in terms of fatiguing aspects of sound. Personally, neither area is enough to cause a huge problem to my ears, though you may wanna take note if you're sensitive to those frequencies. Continuing on, there's a minor dip at 6khz, to slow rise back to 7khz, to another slow reduction in volume which then continues with a moderate, neither lackluster, nor overbearing presence up to 10khz. Beyond 10khz continues being present without being overly strong.

So while the 650 at some point was known to be overly dark or veiled at a point in time, the 6XX and latter variants of the 650 improved the response to become much more balanced and detailed, without over-emphasizing the details to the point of hurting its pleasant, mild mannered characteristics.

The 6XX is still quite revealing, considering how well balanced it is, though the upper range takes a back seat in forwardness.

Soundstage:

The soundstage on the 6XX is something that even back then with the 650 was something I didn't particularly find all that noteworthy. This can simply be due to the fact that the midrange is so focused and upfront, and treble isn't particularly a focal point of the 6XX sound, there's no logical way to give the presentation of its sound all that much space for a soundstage to work its magic. Realistically speaking, you're gonna end up sacrificing some midrange forwardness for soundstage, or vice-versa. That's not to say the 6XX doesn't benefit from DSPs that can enhance soundstages, but in its default state, the soundstage to my ears is merely whats to be expected, and that's borderline average for an open headphone.

Of course, with surround processing DSPs, whatever weakness the 6XX has in soundstaging and imaging can be mitigated considerably. As such, the 6XX can easily be a worthwhile headphone for things like gaming with a moderately big, virtual surround soundstage, though certainly not among the best in this regard. I'll mention more of this in the gaming section.

Amplification

At 300ohm, you will want to feed the 6XX some good, clean power. It has impedance spikes in the bass that can reach 500 ohms, so to mitigate the bass sounding starved and weak, I definitely recommend a moderately decent amp. Something like a Schiit Hel is a great starting point and should provide decent power for to cover the 6XX's base requirements. I hear the 650/6XX scales with better amplification, so take that as you will. You will likely get more out of the 6XX the better the gear that is paired up with it. All I know is that it sounds excellent off both the Hel as well as the Magni 3/Modi 3 combo.

As for what type of amplifiers to use, I think the 6XX is such a special headphone in that it will all depend on whether you want to offset its warmer, musical traits with more detail and precision of something like a detailed solid state amp, or if you want to enhance the already great inherent traits that it has with a tube amplifier. The world is yours with the 6XX. Experiment as you see fit.

Gaming

If you've read my impression of the HD650 and gaming, you'd know by now that I find these good, but not the most optimal of all gaming headphones. For instance, the cheaper models of old with the 555 and 595 up to the updated variants of the 558 and 598/599 do better for competitive gaming purpose do to a better soundstage and positional accuracy. The 6XX's soundstage is a little smaller, tighter, and harder to portray rear positional depth as those other Sennheiser headphones. Even despite these limitations, it's not as they are absolutely poor. They're fine. Not AMAZING, but it's not as using the 6XX will keep you from doing well in competitive gaming. The 650 and in turn the 6XX are of a higher tier of general sound quality, and add an additional layer of fun and immersion in comparison to those lower tier models. As such, I find the 6XX to be a better headphone for casual/fun, and in turn, general gaming as a whole.

Unless you are in tryhard mode, and need JUST a heavily competitive leaning headphone, the 6XX will suit most people just fine for all forms of gaming. Personally (and for over half a year as of August 2020), I've given up messing about with many different headphones and use the 6XX for all gaming purposes, whether casual or competitive. I have recently been pulled into playing a lot of Call of Duty's Warzone (battle royale) mode with my closest friends. I've only been using the 6XX during this timespan, with great results. I have been able to pre-fire through walls knowing there are enemies behind it simply by the audio cues.

I'm not the greatest Warzone player, but I have never felt like the 6XX has limited me in being able to correctly place enemy movement. Vertical placement is another thing altogether, but that is an issue with the game, not the 6XX. Until more games move to newer DSPs like Dolby Atmos via in game options, vertical cues are a limitation that 5.1/7.1 sound processors such as Dolby Headphone and Creative's SBX can't fully realize.

If I had to make a definitive choice of between any of those competitive leaning Sennheiser headphones, or the 6XX, I'd still put all my money on the 6XX, any day of the week. I'd rather take a headphone very good in most things, than a headphone amazing in one thing. The 6XX is pound for pound the better choice, generally speaking.

To sum up gaming purposes, these are great for casual/fun gaming, and good, not GREAT, for competitive gaming. If you're focused mainly on competitive over just general gaming, then perhaps you're better off with some other Sennheiser offerings like the 598/599, or headsets like the Game One/PC37X. For everyone else, the higher fidelity sound of the 6XX, with its rich bass, luscious midrange, and smoother treble will more than suffice for most other forms of gaming.

Personal Recommendations

Media:

The 6XX is a somewhat traditional all rounder. Meaning there's very little you can't use the 6XX with. It just works exceptionally well for whatever you throw at it. From just watching regular TV, podcasts, games, movies, music, you name it, the 6XX has you covered. It does all of it so well, you'll be hard pressed to be disappointed in what it can't do. Perhaps hardcore detail retrieval would be better suited for other upper midrange and treble enhanced headphones, but otherwise, there's not much here to dislike.

Practicality:

The 6XX is best suited for home and office use due to its slightly higher than normal amplification requirements, as well as open-backed design, meaning you won't want to be near others when using the 6XX. They certainly won't leak out through your office into another's listening space, but I certainly wouldn't go out to a public place with them on. I suggest keeping the 6XX at home near your computer setup or listening station.

They're also not exactly portable so I wouldn't recommend trying to throw them in a bag for transportable uses either.

Who Is It For?

The 6XX is for nearly anyone and everyone looking for a cost effective mid to high end headphone that won't break the bank. Drop has allowed the 650 to reach a wider audience with the release of the 6XX, and I insist anyone wanting a $200 pair of headphones to look long and hard at the 6XX. Unless you're a treblehead or mainly just detail focused, the 6XX is for those who just want to enjoy the rich, lifelike sound, and all day musical enjoyment. 2020 is a rather spoiled year for quality headphones at a low price, and it all starts (and may just stop) with the 6XX. I recommend the 6XX to practically anyone, especially those starting their audiophile journey. You may find that there's little to compel you away from the familiar loveliness that is the 6XX. It's that good.

Likes and Dislikes

• Price
  • Long term comfort
  • Bass
  • Midrange
  • Tonality

Dislikes:
  • Initial clamping force
  • Headband padding could be better
  • Wish Sennheiser updated the cable connector to something else
  • Headband durability may be questionable

Final Impressions

Going back to what I said in the introduction. Why are they, one of (if not) the greatest headphone of all time? When I say greatest, I don't mean the very best. There's higher end headphones that do many of the things they do, and probably do them better. However, from its pedigree, its affordability, its legendary cult status, its mass market appeal, the HD650/6XX is that one headphone that for the vast majority of people, know that they're in for a wonderful, consistent headphone experience.

It doesn't have to be the best to be the greatest. It just has to be that one headphone that you know you can tuck away, come back to years later and go, "Yeah, I remember why I love these so much." They're that morning cup of coffee. They're the fireplace in the middle of dead winter. They're that familiar, pleasant sensation of being...home. You put them on, and you know they won't make your ears bleed. Their timbre, their forward presence without being shouty or aggressive nature. Their smoothness, their well mannered balance that errs on the side of caution. You can wake up in the morning, and put these on and know they're gonna sound great without straining your ears. You can lay down in bed at the end of the day and know they'll soothe your body towards slumber. Their appeal is all-encompassing.

In case you haven't realized it yet, you really should experience these headphones at least once. If you're on the fence on what headphones to get in the price range, it's almost a guarantee that you should really set your sights on the HD6XX. It really is that simple.
Excellent review.
Exactly, they have been my daily driver for almost 7 years now. I have bought many headphones in $1500 range and only one headphones stayed with me.
Amping and pairing is most important thing to bring the best out of them.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #44,922 of 48,561
I can't imagine anyone disliking the sound signature unless their a bass head or treble masochist.
You mean me. :p I find them too compressed in staging, and they have a tendancy for soft sounds to get lost in their background. Also, I've noticed some instruments muddling into each other. I consider the current offerings of HD5xx - HD6xx series to be sandtraps in the geography of headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #44,923 of 48,561
You mean me. :p I find them too compressed in staging, and they have a tendancy for soft sounds to get lost in their background. Also, I've noticed some instruments muddling into each other.

Lol. I guess so! I can understanding the staging comment though. I use my 6XX mostly for music and TYGR/DT880/Vokyl Erupt for gaming specifically because of the staging and imaging differences.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #44,924 of 48,561
I bought a pair of 650's a few weeks ago. After being in this hobby for a few years I wanted to finally hear them for myself. I plan to keep them as a reference set when comparing other headphones. They are very good allround headphones, but lack a bit of sub bass for me. That said I think the HD650/6xx is more or less a mandatory headphone to audition before going up to $1K headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back