Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 9, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #39,064 of 48,562
what do you think would be some of the best headphones if they should be in that price range and directional sound is a top priority?
Do you still think that the akg 702 is the best for positional audio and is the hd600 totally out of the race? what is the best on the market right now? in my price range?
I've had the same question, save the HD600 bit. The HD600 aren't what you want for competitive gaming. Have you read the first post in the thread?

And do you need a mic attached?
Without a mic, AKGs are good. I'd go for the 712 Pro over the 702. From this thread, the AD700 are clearly a good option for competitive gaming, but not for fun.
How they compare to the Sennheiser Game One/PC37X I don't know.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #39,065 of 48,562
I have the K702 65th anniversary, which is what the K712 is highly based off of. I also have the PC37X.

The AKG sounds more open, but with less bass quantity (bass does go deep and clean, it's just recessed). Excellent sound whoring ability, but not a fun headphone. It isn't horrible, I'd bet much better than the 700s which seem to be the sound whoring God headphone, but not fun at all. I find them somewhat boring with music. They aren't terrible, but average at best.

The PC37X has a good sound stage, but smaller than the AKGs. It's above average in this category, and perfectly fine for any type of gaming. The Senns don't have deep bass, but they are slightly boosted in midbass (the fun bass range). Bass doesn't bleed into the mids, which are slightly recessed. The highs aren't lacking in detail or range. Good for sound whoring, above average for sure. I do actually like these headphones for music. Because of the boost in the mid bass, they're exciting to listen to for a $120 headset. They sound way better than their price.

I tend to like fun headphones that still excel at sound whoring. I do not like clinical and boring headphones. There are millions who do.

I cannot recommend enough, about reading the first page of this thread. It is a wonderful guide and you'll learn a ton. It's truly a must read for any headphone gamer.

Aug 10, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #39,066 of 48,562
Mentions of a Massdrop HE-4XX brought me back, only to find that it's more likely based off the 400i NOT the 400 due to the bass roll off the graphs show. PFFFFT.

Call me when they find some OLD drivers to base a headphone off. Not like it matters, I still have an HE-400 anyways, lol.

I can't believe my last review was a year and a half ago. O_O

I thought about doing a surprise update out of nowhere, but there really hasn't been anything to warrant bringing me out of retirement, especially not out of pocket. I almost did buy some wireless JVC marshmallow IEMs though when my KSC75 broke recently. But then went and bought another Sportapro to gut the drivers for the clip ons.

I have been spending just a little more time using the HE400 lately. Before, all my headphones outside of my clip ons were put away basically for many, many months.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #39,067 of 48,562
Hello everyone I am new to the forum and I have tried to follow the topic from the beginning, currently and for the comments followed in the subject, I have bought xonar stx and beyer 990 pro.
The truth is I would like to ask for your help for the theme of the configuration for games and music.
I have disabled the audio driver of the board, and I have installed the Uni xonar driver.
The main games I use are Bf1, Bf4, CS: GO and one another shooter although lately paladins but only very occasionally.

In electronic music and some rock the majority in format Flac or Mp3 320 kps.

Another thing I would like some other option than the zalman mc1, since I incredibly feature the cable of my AD 700x, a little more and breaks it, I do not want to get modmic since the price discourages me.

regards

PS: sorry for my English

Hello again I do not know if someone could help me, I know I am very new but a recommendation would suit me.
By the way I have not read 2600 paguinas of the post but if the majority
regards

Aug 10, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #39,068 of 48,562
Mentions of a Massdrop HE-4XX brought me back, only to find that it's more likely based off the 400i NOT the 400 due to the bass roll off the graphs show. PFFFFT.

Call me when they find some OLD drivers to base a headphone off. Not like it matters, I still have an HE-400 anyways, lol.

I can't believe my last review was a year and a half ago. O_O

I thought about doing a surprise update out of nowhere, but there really hasn't been anything to warrant bringing me out of retirement, especially not out of pocket. I almost did buy some wireless JVC marshmallow IEMs though when my KSC75 broke recently. But then went and bought another Sportapro to gut the drivers for the clip ons.

I have been spending just a little more time using the HE400 lately. Before, all my headphones outside of my clip ons were put away basically for many, many months.
Look who's back from the grave. So, how was purgatory?

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #39,071 of 48,562
Perfect, you're just whom I've been looking for :)

Following the ratings from the first page, how would you rate the K702 65th and the PC37X:
Fun:
Competitive:
Comfort:

I'll do my best!

PC37X:
Fun: 8.5. lots of mid bass which is the range that sounds like bass to most people. Doesn't extend deep. Explosions and other bass sounds are present, helping immersion.

Competitive: 8.0-8.5. above average for sound stage, footsteps are clear, high frequencies are there, although slightly rolled off. Are not fatiguing after long sessions.

Comfort: 7.5-8.0. these fit my head well, are on the smaller side for a full sized headphone. Ear pads are comfortable for long sessions. Some may have less luck with large heads or ears. I personally have no issue after hours of wear.

AKG K702 65th/K7XX/K712 (these are all very familiar sounding, K7XX I expect is slightly less, as good as the others).

Fun: 7.5- bass does extend deep, but bass feels about 3dB down overall. It's clear, detailed, but you won't feel explosions like better cans in this department.

Competitive: 9.0- these are still one of the best I've ever heard for soundstage in gaming. These are very good at hearing footsteps, and directionality. They're relatively flat sounding, with a slight mid bass bump. Very open sounding, which helps with range detection.

Comfort: 9.5. I really like the suspension system they use, and the flat headband (no bumps) of the 65th anniversary really float on my head with little clamping force on my ears. The bumps drop comfort a good bit (sooooooooo many versions of the K series). The large ear cups do not touch my ears, (65th Annie's are angled). Overall, a light headphone, which is great for long listening periods.

Now these are my opinions, and the numbers aren't based on price. IMO cost shouldn't factor into the numbers.

Clarity is not a factor in these numbers. Something like my Hifiman HE-X V2 is Crystal clear, but you'd expect that from a $1,300 planar headphone. Spending more on headphones for gaming, usually results in clarity and detail retrieval far better than sub $400-$500 options. Honestly you don't know what you're missing until you step up into the TOTL type Headphones. Ignorance is bliss in this case. Many of the expensive headphones are heavy, where these 2 are definitely much lighter than my more expensive cans.

I prefer the PC37X for casual music listening. I do prefer a V shaped sound signature for music. Both are very good with surround gaming. One is better at competition and the other is more done while still being competitive.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #39,072 of 48,562
I'll do my best!
Fantastic, thank you, much appreciated.
Now these are my opinions, and the numbers aren't based on price. IMO cost shouldn't factor into the numbers.
Agreed. Prices are subject to change anyway, so if the numbers separate from price, people can later see what's available and choose.

Shame the AKG aren't available with a mic.
The Audio-Technica ADG1X is, I wonder how that compares.

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #39,073 of 48,562
In the HD600 price range and money isn't a problem are two different things if you ask me.
If the latter is the case I think a Realiser with a HD800S won't be bad at all.

I haven't heard about the Realiser A16. That looks amazing. Thanks for posting. I have a little over a month to decide if I want to pre-order. I mean of course I want it but $1800 is a lot and then another $1800 for the HD800s. Guess I wouldnt have to buy any audio equipment for a long time

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #39,074 of 48,562
I haven't heard about the Realiser A16. That looks amazing. Thanks for posting. I have a little over a month to decide if I want to pre-order. I mean of course I want it but $1800 is a lot and then another $1800 for the HD800s. Guess I wouldnt have to buy any audio equipment for a long time

I'd read a bit in the Realiser thread here and also some reviews from demos they did on shjows or reviews of the A8, quite a few people here have had that one. Seems to be one amazing device.

HD800S comes up for sale used here at about $1200. The Realiser works well with any headphone acoording to Smyth but they recommend a HD800 for the soundsatge and comfort. I figured the HD800S should be better still since it has more bass. I think my LA-900 should do well also with even better bass and a nice soundstage as well.

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #39,075 of 48,562
I haven't heard about the Realiser A16. That looks amazing.
It is.
I have a little over a month to decide if I want to pre-order. I mean of course I want it but $1800 is a lot and then another $1800 for the HD800s. Guess I wouldnt have to buy any audio equipment for a long time
Well that depends on what you want it for. It's amazing at Dolby Atmos surround sound. Are you wanting it for gaming?

Presumably there are better options for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back