Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 1, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #44,236 of 48,566
Ok got what you mean. but you would prefer sonic studio/strix raid over that option?

I'm not into FPS gaming, more into C&C G/ZH.
The Asus sound card is free to try.
I have a personal preference for Asus sound cards.
If you do not like Sonic studios, then try the X-FI MB3.

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #44,237 of 48,566
For footsteps in Modern Warfare, switch to “boost low” in the game audio settings.

It will really boost footsteps but it will also lower the audio quality for everything else (makes it bloated and muddy). But the footsteps boost is so huge I suffer through it.

MW audio is really bad.

(I really wish the forum upgrade didn’t ruin all my thread email notifications!)
You mean boost high? Im running high ..
Will try boost low, but i think boost high is for footsteps

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #44,239 of 48,566
Hey guys, can someone recommend me a pair of headphones and mic for the PS4 Pro?
I currently have Astro A40s and there deteriorating and it had become apparent that there are much better out there.

I can use the wireless mix amp if it's any use to a suggested set up, budget of around £150 hopefully is enough for It ?

Thanks

Apr 1, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #44,241 of 48,566
Thinking about upgrading my K7XX to HD800S for gaming (gaming only).

Is my Schiit Hel powerful enough?
  • Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 200mW RMS
The reason why I am asking:
This youtuber says he has distorted bass with 800S only on low "quality power". "On Schiit Hel the bass response didn‘t really seem as resolving and as clear..."

What do you think?
Probably unrelated to power. Realistically, the headphones only draw less than 1mw most of the time.

Apr 3, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #44,243 of 48,566
Hi Fellow Head-Fiers,

Ive been driving myself crazy for the the last week on what new pair of headphones to get for Xbox and music. Started off wanting the SHP9500 after reading everywhere how great they are for the price. Then came across the X2HR whic hwas basically the "same thing" but better. I then came across a whole plethora of other options from Beyer, AT Sennheiser and was thinking the HD58x would be awesome as theyre supposed to basically be a 660S.

I was about to pull the trigger on the HD58x but then looked into them further. It seems they have a terribly small soundstage which doesnt sound like it will be very immersive. I mainly play Battlefield 5, COD, Apex non-competatively so pin pointing a squirrel fart at 100 yrds with zero bass isnt what Im after exactly. Rather a great sounding headphone with good soundstage and imaging that. I hear the HD800s is one of the best so something in that vein I guess? Basically want to feel like Im in the map with accurate 3D sound.

I dont have an amp other than a Denon receiver and would either use that, xbox controller and phone. I've always been someone who enjoys good sounding headphones, and think options like Beats are way to bassy and meh. I used to have a pair of Shure SE535 IEMs which I unfortunately lost.

Being in Canada Im looking to spend less than or equal to what the HD58X cost.

In the end, are the HD58x a waste of 70% of the time they will be used to play open map FPS games like Battlefield which I would assume would benefit from big soundstage and great imaging?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #44,245 of 48,566
I've been driving myself crazy for the the last week on what new pair of headphones to get for Xbox and music. Started off wanting the SHP9500 after reading everywhere how great they are for the price. Then came across the X2HR which was basically the "same thing" but better. I then came across a whole plethora of other options from Beyer, AT Sennheiser and was thinking the HD58x would be awesome as they are supposed to basically be a 660S.
I was about to pull the trigger on the HD58x but then looked into them further. It seems they have a terribly small soundstage which doesn't sound like it will be very immersive. I mainly play Battlefield 5, COD, Apex non-competitively so pin pointing a squirrel fart at 100 yards with zero bass isnt what Im after exactly. Rather a great sounding headphone with good soundstage and imaging that. I hear the HD800s is one of the best so something in that vein I guess? Basically want to feel like I'm in the map with accurate 3D sound.
I don't have an amp other than a Denon receiver and would either use that, xbox controller and phone. I've always been someone who enjoys good sounding headphones, and think options like Beats are way to bassy and meh. I used to have a pair of Shure SE535 IEMs which I unfortunately lost.
Being in Canada Im looking to spend less than or equal to what the HD58X cost.
In the end, are the HD58x a waste of 70% of the time they will be used to play open map FPS games like Battlefield which I would assume would benefit from big soundstage and great imaging?
For over all audio quality, I prefer the HD58X, over the Philips SHP9500.
Also the 150-Ohm HD58X should do better plugged into a receiver (Denon), then the SHP9500, because of impedance issues.
Soundstage or surround sound, can't say which is better, as I'm not into FPS gaming.

Apr 4, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #44,246 of 48,566
The HD800S definitely has a high impedance spike, and I'd probably recommend something better than the Hel for it. I think the spike reaches like 700ohms in the bass. So yeah...not an impedance range I think the Hel can truly output with ease.

I mean don't get me wrong, the Hel will reach high volumes, but I'd definitely get something with spare power on tap. Personally if I was getting an HD800s, I'd only get one if I have at least an Asgard 3. Though a Magni 3+ or Heresy would do ok I think.

I got an HD800S here now for testing with Hel and Jotunheim. Since I don't have an XLR cable both amps are not powerful enough single ended and bass quantity is lacking. Can I expect (much) more bass quantity with the Asgard 3?

Just getting an XLR cable would be easier, of course, but the Jot is normally in my office and the HD800S is for gaming at home. Besides other reasons like synergy etc.

Apr 4, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #44,247 of 48,566
@stefan416

The HD800S was ranked #1 by Joshua Velour for gaming. ($1600) A very close second is the DT-1990. ($410 @ Newegg) You decide. :beyersmile:

I'll have to check the 1990s out then as I wasnt initially looking at them. Still above my price range though.

For over all audio quality, I prefer the HD58X, over the Philips SHP9500.
Also the 150-Ohm HD58X should do better plugged into a receiver (Denon), then the SHP9500, because of impedance issues.
Soundstage or surround sound, can't say which is better, as I'm not into FPS gaming.

Yeah I figured as much. How can a headphone that costs so little be as nice as a 200 set

Apr 4, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #44,248 of 48,566
To the people with a Mobius headset: What is your thoughts, that it can't do bluetooth/wireless and microphone at the same time?
I know wireless isn't the best of the best for gaming, but it's really convenient.
I tried them and when I realized I couldn't use the mic while on bluetooth I returned them. It pretty much defeat a wireless gaming headset, no?

Have anyone tried the new Creative SXFI Theater headset, they're equipped with 2.4 GHz wifi signal for minimal latency, USB-C and up to 30 hours of usage.
Any thoughts on this one?

Apr 4, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #44,249 of 48,566
I got an HD800S here now for testing with Hel and Jotunheim. Since I don't have an XLR cable both amps are not powerful enough single ended and bass quantity is lacking. Can I expect (much) more bass quantity with the Asgard 3?

Just getting an XLR cable would be easier, of course, but the Jot is normally in my office and the HD800S is for gaming at home. Besides other reasons like synergy etc.

I feel like you aren't grasping what the power spec represents. Even if you got a more powerful amp, you would be throttling it to the same power output as your other amps with the volume controls. Because the limiting factor is that you've reached a comfortable listening level, not that you've maxed out what the amp is capable of.

Apr 4, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #44,250 of 48,566
FWIW as far as "affordable" HD800S amps that sound great, iFi's Blacklabel and Micro iDSD are both pretty great and have all the connectivity options you need in a gaming setup. (Other than a mic...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back