Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 27, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #44,206 of 48,562
I currently have been using a AKG K712 PRO for a while now which is hooked up to a MAGNI 3 which in turn is connected to a Creative Sound Blaster ZxR.

The sound is good, but it's not "amazing". I remember when i used to have a Sennheiser PC363D i was immediately wowed by the sound (with virtual surround). I remember thinking "what amazing experience can I get if we spend even more money!". Unfortunately the K712's have not yet given me that same feeling.

I'm wondering if there's some magic setting that needs to be on as everyone thinks they are so good.

Would different earpads upgrade the experience without loosing positioning? Is there anything else that would help me make these sound amazing?
The K712 is considerably better, IMHO. But perhaps you're ust too used to the other sound.

Mar 27, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #44,208 of 48,562
Probably, it's been a while since I had the sennheiser's too.

You think new earpads (dekoni?) could help? What would be an upgrade over the akg k712 pro's in terms of a whole new headset?
I'd be wary about swapping pads. It can negatively affect the sound. Perhaps they're just not for you.

As for an upgrade, I don't know what your tastes are so I can't point you in a direction. There's too many sound signatures to just steer you one way.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #44,209 of 48,562
Thank you so much for this list! And the time and effort put into it, I have Ak 240s, and super luci 668bs at the moment and looking to upgrade, I’m torn betweeen the 599s and 990pro, both are on sale right now. Which would be better for pure directional accuracy? I play competitive FPS maiming, Overwatch, destiny,cod etc

Mar 28, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #44,210 of 48,562
Thank you so much for this list! And the time and effort put into it, I have Ak 240s, and super luci 668bs at the moment and looking to upgrade, I’m torn betweeen the 599s and 990pro, both are on sale right now. Which would be better for pure directional accuracy? I play competitive FPS maiming, Overwatch, destiny,cod etc

The 599 would be more for that purpose. Both are good, but the 990 is more aimed for fun, casual gaming. 599 would do competitive better. This is an assumption based on that the 599 look like the original 598, which I reviewed. I have not heard the 599, but am making the assumption it's just a 598 with the old color scheme, as the 598 don't come in that color anymore.

Looking at Rtings comparison, it does look that they sound nearly the same, and looks like differences could be driver variation or just subtle differences overall.

So yeah, I'll stand by what I said.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #44,211 of 48,562
Thank you so much for this list! And the time and effort put into it, I have Ak 240s, and super luci 668bs at the moment and looking to upgrade, I’m torn between the 599s and 990pro, both are on sale right now. Which would be better for pure directional accuracy? I play competitive FPS maiming, Overwatch, destiny,cod etc
It might help to know what exactly you plug the headphones into?
(on-board audio or sound card or DAC/amp, etc)
Both headphones are liked by FPS gamers.
The DT990 is strong bass/treble, which slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
HD599 would be more balanced and not as "fiesta sounding" as the DT990.
The DT990 would be more power demanding, then the HD599.
Me, I would rather have the HD599, over the DT990 (personal preference).

Mar 28, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #44,212 of 48,562
Guess I should share this quick preliminary opinion comparing the Blaster X3 and the GSX 1000

Now that I have both the GSX 1000 and the X3 side by side first of all I want to express my disappointment with the GSX 1000 and the problems to update the firmware. Here I thought Creative software tends to be buggy but at least it can freaking connect to download updates!
I didnt realize how small the GSX is, I love the design and colors and REALLY in a biased way, I wanted to prefer it BUT the X3 just sounds a bit richer as a pure dac/amp when driving my easy to drive Fideliox X2HR.
When it comes to gaming surround, well first you have a lot more options to make the sound fit your taste and I find SBX as good if not better than the GSX1000 in positioning when playing COD MW or CSGO. You even have profiles for those games if you don't want to tweak yourself.
Super X-Fi is a bit of a disappointment at this time for what I was expecting. Sure it does sound a lot bigger in terms of soundstage and for some sources, it could be fun but it has zero tweaking options and just seems to have too much echo for me. I know the idea is to mimic speakers in a room but that is one very empty room with all that echo, plus I have acoustic treatments in my HT room to MINIMIZE echos. Thus not sure why I would like to mimic that into my sound card, or at least sure we can add some but let us tweak it.
Anyways, as much as I like the look and design of the GSX1000 and I will continue to test for the next few days, right now, I am leaning towards the X3.
I also wonder why the GSX is more expensive with older tech, fewer features and lower specs at least in terms of formats. Anyways, that is my current overview..more to come.

Mar 28, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #44,213 of 48,562
It might help to know what exactly you plug the headphones into?
(on-board audio or sound card or DAC/amp, etc)
Both headphones are liked by FPS gamers.
The DT990 is strong bass/treble, which slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
HD599 would be more balanced and not as "fiesta sounding" as the DT990.
The DT990 would be more power demanding, then the HD599.
Me, I would rather have the HD599, over the DT990 (personal preference).

Youre right, i apologize, this is aimed towards PC gaming, i have a z390 aorus master MB, (125dB SNR AMP-UP Audio with ALC1220 & High-End ESS SABRE 9118 DAC),
i also have an asus strix DLX soundcard sitting in my desk drawer that i stopped using, as well as an FiiO EK10 laying around. does that help?

Mar 30, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #44,216 of 48,562
My stance is having virtual surround is best, so I'd spend more for something like a Creative G6.

I dunno if the mobo or soundcard have any virtual surround. If they don't, I'd assume they're both on par with the E10K, or at the very least the soundcard would be.

Typically, you want to avoid mobo sound, but perhaps that one has a decent shielding from system noise.

Mar 30, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #44,217 of 48,562
I agree SBX is great for competitive gaming which what I am using with the Blaster X3 (the winner of my battle of X3 vs GSX 1000). Next is the Mobius coming up to see how it compares to the X3.

Mar 31, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #44,218 of 48,562
For those with a Mobius, I recommend surround at 40%. It can get a bit reverbery at higher levels.

Mar 31, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #44,219 of 48,562
My stance is having virtual surround is best, so I'd spend more for something like a Creative G6.

I dunno if the mobo or soundcard have any virtual surround. If they don't, I'd assume they're both on par with the E10K, or at the very least the soundcard would be.

Typically, you want to avoid mobo sound, but perhaps that one has a decent shielding from system noise.
When you say virtual surround, u meaning the EQ or the “mixing” element? I’m not sure how to describe or explain which one does or doesn’t.

the mobo has “
  • 125dB SNR AMP-UP Audio with ALC1220 & High-End ESS SABRE 9118 DAC with WIMA audio capacitor

while the sound card has sonic studio for software. The mobo just uses Realtek interface

Users who are viewing this thread

Back