Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 8, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #43,636 of 48,566
No. The Fidelios are minutely v shaped. A cross of Neutral and V.

N shape would actually be lacking in sub bass and treble, and have only mids as its strength, and possibly some upper bass. Something like the HD650/6XX comes to mind.

Let me ask a different question. When it comes to video games, do mids not factor in to what makes a headphone immersive? Also. Are the terms fun and immersive synonymous? Hypothetically. If bass is all you need to a have fun/immersive listening experience then I should stop trying to avoiding a V shape sound. If that is the case, I’ll definitely need to reconsider all the options.

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #43,637 of 48,566
No. The Fidelios are minutely v shaped. A cross of Neutral and V.

N shape would actually be lacking in sub bass and treble, and have only mids as its strength, and possibly some upper bass. Something like the HD650/6XX comes to mind.

I am totally new to the whole headphone/audiophile stuff.

What is your opinion on the HD599 for gaming?

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #43,642 of 48,566
How much do shp9500 go for in Europe?

SHP9500 has suddenly doubled or so in price. first I could get it around 60-80 euros, now it's around 120 euros.

I was thinking about getting the jubilee, but the unfortunate thing is that I would have to pay customs. It probably would be more expensive than the HD599 ( I have giftcards to purchase 599 from a specific store, i forgot to mention. reducing the price by 80 dollars)

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #43,643 of 48,566
Related to this thread: at CES2020 Creative announced :

- Super X-Fi Gen2 (improved version of their personlized HRTF SXFI algo, based on the data they got from 1st gen SXFI users. According to Creative: "Super X-Fi Gen2 profile will be implemented on all existing user profiles worldwide ... perform a simple firmware update and download new profiles through SXFI app". According to Lee, "Gen3 is already on the horizon")
- SXFI GAMER headphone with "more aggressive RGB lighting" (looks like SXFI Air with more er... lights, ugh + a specifically tuned SXFI profile for FPS games. Release in Q2 2020)

No news on anything beyond Sound Blaster X3....

Source: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...uper-X-Fi-Ecosystem-Unveiled-at-CES-2020.html

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #43,644 of 48,566
Incoming mini review/rant on the KSC35 wireless.

I'm upset. I'm angry, and I'm sick of Koss making one step forward, two steps back.

Jan 10, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #43,645 of 48,566
You have to get used yo the sound. No one likes it when they first use it. You can't just turn it on and think, ok perfect. It takes days.

Assuming it's still using dolby headphone 2.

Your point about not liking it right away was bang on. I used the mix amp pro for gaming exclusively in the dolby mode and with an easy to drive sony over ear headphone and I think I am used to the sound now. I finally get it now, it took a while but it clicked. The VSS sound profile for competitive gaming is not meant to be immersive or fun in the traditional sense, but rather tweaked to ensure maximum fidelity of positional cues right, despite how unnatural it may sound at once. But once I used it for a few days I got used to it and I more or less stopped noticing the metallic sound or the reverb and the sound is not jarring as before.

Initially I tried using the Shure SRH840 and K7XX and I think they maybe are not suitable for the mixamp pro 4th gen. I am using Sony H.ear on and the VSS sounds a lot more natural with those. Now I am thinking of adding a modest gaming focused headset into the mix. I am thinking of maybe the HyperX cloud II (i had the cloud core but the pads ripped and you cant buy the stock leatherette pads anywhere damn) or the Logitech G Pro X (the one without the sound card dongle).

Yes, it's still pretty good and it can be further improved by swapping opamps for some better ones and/or adding an external dac/amp

Ah I see, I was hoping it would be great as is without needing to be tweaked. I am not opposed to op amp rolling, tried my hands with that when I used to own the xDuoo XD-05. I will wait and see if Creative decides to make an X7 version 2.

Yea, there was that one crytek game that came with vss enabled by default, and people didn't really complain about the audio quality, which indicates to me that when people don't have a point of reference for how the game "should" sound, they don't complain about vss sound quality at all. In other words, I see it as a problem of unfamiliarity. Meanwhile, the vss objectively gives them better spatial information.

That was the case with me. I was actually unfamiliar with how it was meant to sound. A week of light gaming allowed me to acclimatize to the dolby enabled sound and I find myself easily hearing footsteps and not at all noticing the reverb or metallicish sound.

Related to this thread: at CES2020 Creative announced :

- Super X-Fi Gen2 (improved version of their personlized HRTF SXFI algo, based on the data they got from 1st gen SXFI users. According to Creative: "Super X-Fi Gen2 profile will be implemented on all existing user profiles worldwide ... perform a simple firmware update and download new profiles through SXFI app". According to Lee, "Gen3 is already on the horizon")
- SXFI GAMER headphone with "more aggressive RGB lighting" (looks like SXFI Air with more er... lights, ugh + a specifically tuned SXFI profile for FPS games. Release in Q2 2020)

No news on anything beyond Sound Blaster X3....

Source: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...uper-X-Fi-Ecosystem-Unveiled-at-CES-2020.html

This actually excites me, from reading a lot of the impressions here and reviews elsewhere, the X3 might not be as good for gaming as it is for movie watching, but I am hoping the gen 2 profile might improve gaming experience. Then the X3 would be an easy buy for me. and the headset might be interesting depending on the price. The mobius is the only expensive gaming headset I would even consider splurging for at this point in time.

Edit: Phrasing

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #43,646 of 48,566
Ok, forget the mini review. It didn't save on my Amazon, so I can't bring it up and don't wanna rewrite.

In short, don't waste your time with the KSC35 wireless. Just get the PortaPro wireless instead and buy some KSC75s with it to take the clips. The clips on the KSC35 have never been as comfy, and this hasn't changed with the wireless.

Also, the battery life is atrocious, and I can't even go through one whole shift before the KSC35 runs out of juice. The PortaPro wireless has double the battery life, so save up and get those instead.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't even go for those. After just over a year, one side of my Porta wireless stopped working/cable started to strip near the battery module. Aka, typical shoddy build quality on the cables. The KSC35 wireless looks just as bad in terms of cable quality. MY PORTA WIRELESS IS DEAD, AND USELESS NOW.

Until Koss decides to get off their arse and actually spend some time QC-ing their cables, I don't recommend ANY of them. I'm sick and tired of buying their clip ons, only for every single one to go bad within the year because of crap cables/connections and losing one driver audio every single time.

I hate it, because they're the only headphones that work for me while I work, but I'm fed up supporting them if they're not going to change a damn thing. Not to mention, but both of their PP wireless and KSC35 wireless have just a meager 1 year warranty. Best believe they WILL go bad shortly after, if it hadn't done so before.

With the KSC75, it isn't so bad because they cost so little, but I'm sure I've owned a new KSC75 every single year since I became a memeber here. Not worth sending them in for warranty when it cost almost as much to get them fixed by Koss, from shipping to warranty fee.

So Koss, if you ever get this, make a damn KSC75/35 with detachable cables. Probably something that uses MMCX connectors or something small enough. And USE A HALFWAY DECENT CABLE THAT WON'T STRIP AT THE ENDS. AND A PROPER STRAIN RELIEF EVERYWHERE. I'M DONE.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #43,648 of 48,566
Just purchased and HD800 S to pair with my X7 for awesome virtual gaming. I do have one question, if I buy a Topping DX7 Pro to upgrade my Dac/Amp for music. Can I go optical out from X7 to the Topping and get the awesome virtual surround but with the benefit of that amps power? Also does the optical out on the X7 do pass through, so I don’t have to disconnect it every time I want reference sound for music?

Also, anyone have information on AHG pads or Dekoni pads? I am looking for something to make the 800S to be more comfortable to wear with glasses and to add a little clamp.

Jan 10, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #43,649 of 48,566
Ah I see, I was hoping it would be great as is without needing to be tweaked. I am not opposed to op amp rolling, tried my hands with that when I used to own the xDuoo XD-05. I will wait and see if Creative decides to make an X7 version 2.
Edit: Phrasing
We all do man, we all do.

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #43,650 of 48,566
Just purchased and HD800 S to pair with my X7 for awesome virtual gaming. I do have one question, if I buy a Topping DX7 Pro to upgrade my Dac/Amp for music. Can I go optical out from X7 to the Topping and get the awesome virtual surround but with the benefit of that amps power? Also does the optical out on the X7 do pass through, so I don’t have to disconnect it every time I want reference sound for music?

Also, anyone have information on AHG pads or Dekoni pads? I am looking for something to make the 800S to be more comfortable to wear with glasses and to add a little clamp.
I know the G6 has that option, so I am going to assume the X7 does too. Check the Speakers config (Setup...Speakers...Output Mode), you should see an option for "Apply Headphone Virtualization to Line/Optical Out"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back