Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 10, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #41,551 of 48,562
Ah, well newer Creative gear allows sbx to go through the optical out as well, but yes, regularly, SBX only works through the headphone jack. If for some reason your software doesn't have an option to send SBX through the optical out, then you'll need to plug a cable from the headphone jack of the SBZ to the RCA input of the Modi, not the optical input. Look at the program for the SBZ, and see if there is any option to send SBX headphone surround to the optical out. I can't say, as I don't have an SBZ.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #41,552 of 48,562
Just wanted to ask do any of you get extremely heated ears with the HD 598SE? I have had them for two years now and they have really started giving my heated ears and a headache every time I play COD Blackout. Thinking what the solution is? Whether I should order replacement earpads or just invest in brand new headphones this Black Friday.

Im torn between the Phillips Fidelio X2, AD700x and any other you guys recommend in that price range. I will pair them with my Fiio E10k.

It will be used strictly for competitive FPS to positional awareness is absolute paramount for me.

Appreciate the help here guys!

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #41,554 of 48,562
Ooh, I'll be giving this a go in the next few days.

I hope @Fegefeuer can chime in and tell us if the settings are saving correctly.

Well, I ran the update last night. I'm still not using line out yet to another dac or amp, but something I did notice was that beforehand, every time I would launch Sound Blaster Connect, the G6 would default to speakers output if I didn't have any headphones plugged in. After updating, once I set the G6 to headphones output, it would stay in that mode every time I quit and relaunched Sound Blaster Connect. That has me feeling hopeful it will act accordingly with regard to selecting line out as well.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #41,557 of 48,562
The Z is an old card, so it doesn't surprise me that this option wasn't around then. Internal soundcards are a rare breed nowadays.

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #41,561 of 48,562
when i enable digital dolby live with spdif out i just get some horrible buzzing noise
That’s because the modi can only decode 2.0 pcm signal. Sending it a dolby 5.1 signal can do that and it will completely disable all sbx effects through optical. I’m not entirely sure if your sound card can output the sbx effects through optical.

Nov 14, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #41,562 of 48,562
I know the asus xonar dgx, dx, and stx can do dolby headphone over optical, and can also use hesuvi to do many other types of virtual surround sound over optical. The Creative soundblasterx ae5 and creative soundblasterx g6 I think has options for virtual surround sound over headphones over optical in much the same way.

Nov 15, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #41,564 of 48,562
Guys I just bought the Soundblaster G6 after reading MLE's review. I just wanted to understand what you guys recommend the best settings are for "sound whoring" particularily in call of duty etc. I tried playing blackout mode with "scout mode" enabled just out of the box and I have to tell you, I was getting a headache playing because All the "wind, birds, bees" and random stuff like that was really loud.

I have been using a Fiio E10k so far with my Sennheiser HD598SE and bought the G6 expecting an upgrade to my footstep hearing etc game. Would appreciate some insight on how to set this baby up the correct way as I can't seem to find any guide or settings tips on youtube / forums.

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #41,565 of 48,562
Guys I just bought the Soundblaster G6 after reading MLE's review. I just wanted to understand what you guys recommend the best settings are for "sound whoring" particularily in call of duty etc. I tried playing blackout mode with "scout mode" enabled just out of the box and I have to tell you, I was getting a headache playing because All the "wind, birds, bees" and random stuff like that was really loud.

I have been using a Fiio E10k so far with my Sennheiser HD598SE and bought the G6 expecting an upgrade to my footstep hearing etc game. Would appreciate some insight on how to set this baby up the correct way as I can't seem to find any guide or settings tips on youtube / forums.

Thanks!
Surround on ultra wide everything else off. That’s it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back