Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 19, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #32,971 of 48,562
Can anybody recommend a decent stereo headphone amp (max $ 100, maybe mobile amp?) to power my Beyerdynamic DT990 pro. I feel like they need a little more power connecting them with my AVR and they do for sure if I connect them to my iPod.
Since I already have an AVR with Silent Cinema and an Astro mixamp pro with Dolby Headphone for gaming, I think a normal stereo amp will do the trick.

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #32,972 of 48,562
Can anybody recommend a decent stereo headphone amp (max $ 100, maybe mobile amp?) to power my Beyerdynamic DT990 pro. I feel like they need a little more power connecting them with my AVR and they do for sure if I connect them to my iPod.
Since I already have an AVR with Silent Cinema and an Astro mixamp pro with Dolby Headphone for gaming, I think a normal stereo amp will do the trick.

Magni 2 / Magni 2 Uber / Lake people G103-S 

these may not be as cheap as you like, but they have plenty of power.

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #32,976 of 48,562
The best way to advertise your own listings is to link the post in your signature. Directly talking about a listing on the forums is something you'll want to avoid as it's frowned upon by the moderators. They've spoken out in the past about members soliciting their own sales, so it's best to simply avoid the practice altogether.

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #32,978 of 48,562
I am finding the E17 to be an okay pairing with my playstation 3 but I crave the surround sound effect that I saw in the videos in the first post. Would the Astro mix amp pro be atleast as good sounding as the E17? Are there any alternatives to the mix amp pro?

Thanks in advance! 

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #32,979 of 48,562
Man, do I miss the K612.

You should hear mine now, with the amp that I ordered in like April which just arrived two days ago O.O
I do like my K612 straight out of my iPad, but they scale so well if you feed them with a powerful amp and a super DAC. My best stuff that I just got hooked up costs almost 10x as much as I spent on my K612, and each addition elevated the K612 higher! Still, wish I had something like a balanced HE-560 or PM-2 here, or... or... an Ether. Oooooo who whowhoo!

Even hooked up to the headphone jack of the X7 though, the Cavalli Liquid Carbon still kicks ass with the K612 and makes a noticeable soundstage improvement and ups the "life" of the sound.

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #32,980 of 48,562
I am finding the E17 to be an okay pairing with my playstation 3 but I crave the surround sound effect that I saw in the videos in the first post. Would the Astro mix amp pro be atleast as good sounding as the E17? Are there any alternatives to the mix amp pro?

Thanks in advance! 

The answer to your first question is "No," and the answer to the second question is in the first link of my signature :)

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #32,981 of 48,562
  Fiio E12, Cayin C5 - both mobile, small, powerful and sound awesome.

I am intrigued by the Fiio products - the mobility would be an added bonus. 
Any idea of how the E12 compares to the E17k?
I am aware that the E12 is (only) an amp whreas the E17k is alos a USB DAC. But doesn´t the E17k also work as a stereo/analog only amp with having the added benefit of also supporting digital input (USB and coaxial). If so I think the E17k would be the better choice here since it is more versatile and does the same things the E12 does, right???
Or is the E17k that much of a worse amp compared to the E12?

thanks

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #32,982 of 48,562
I was searching through the net for any new information on any of surround sound devices and found these about the Blasterx G5.

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://toutiao.com/i6218842521783501314/&prev=search

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://spec.tgbus.com/hard/2240/creative-announce-sound-blaster-x-series-products/&prev=search

The first link has more close up pics of the G5 in action while the second link shows some of the software interface. Both links stated that they would be on sale in January 2016.

I also found a link of a video that showed the Turtle Beach TAC at this year's E3, I'll provide a link if you guys want.

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #32,983 of 48,562
I am intrigued by the Fiio products - the mobility would be an added bonus. 
Any idea of how the E12 compares to the E17k?
I am aware that the E12 is (only) an amp whreas the E17k is alos a USB DAC. But doesn´t the E17k also work as a stereo/analog only amp with having the added benefit of also supporting digital input (USB and coaxial). If so I think the E17k would be the better choice here since it is more versatile and does the same things the E12 does, right???
Or is the E17k that much of a worse amp compared to the E12?

thanks

Amp? Yes. The E17 is a mere fraction of the power the E12 has, and I consider the E12 to BARELY approach an entry level desktop amp in terms of recommendations for full sized headphones that should be amped. So no, don't expect the E17 to power something like AKGs anywere near their ability.

Get a desktop amp if you wanna power full sized headphones that aren't sensitive 32ohm beaters. Just my two cents.

The E17k is a better choice if you have nothing else, as far as dacs and sources go. In terms of amping, don't rely on the E17 for anything but easy to power stuff.

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #32,984 of 48,562
Yup, the K612 is definitely a power-hungry headphone... But feed it well and it will reward you! On the E5 (btw they're supposed to go on sale tomorrow, so you might want to ask about a price match), you might prefer high-gain mode. The K612 used a higher volume setting than the 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880 for me!

The description of SBX you wrote, where increasing the surround just increases the echo, seems to describe a settings issue where SBX is only receiving two channels... This might feel like a weird description, but just go with me: BF3 & 4 have a "headphone" and a "home theater" mode, "headphone" mode processes a headphone surround "mix" and creates a 2-channel result BEFORE the audio gets to a soundcard and before SBX can process it... and SBX surround just adds a bunch of undesirable reverb to 2-channel audio. The settings you want: in the Windows system sound panel, you need to check the 5.1/7.1 channel setting. Then, in the BF game, you actually want to choose the "Home Theater" setting to get max audio quality with least processing. Finally, your E5 should actually be receiving a surround input now. I recommend turning off everything but Surround till you get the hang of it, and try 67-100% setting on surround. The processing won't work right if you didn't have the right three settings: Windows 5.1/7.1, BF4 "Home Theater," and SBX surround.

And you should avoid volume dials on headphone cables if at all possible, any reduction from max there just adds resistance and muddies the sound detail... Just leave the headphone at max and have your PC start from a very low %... It's at like 20% for me. On my K612, it's a bit higher, but safer for your ears to start low
wink.gif

Hi thanks for the repies guys appreciate it!

I cannot set windows to 5.1/7.1 as I have disabled the realtek drivers, as I didnt want them interfering with the E5. I have option only for headphones. Quality was set midway in windows which I had not realised to now its set to 24/192. TIn the E5 control panel I have the option also only for h-phones. Are you suggesting I should enable my onboard sound and then try again? Windows is set to stereo speakers. not possible to change this.

I have not tried setting BF4 ingame to speakers (not sure there is that option, probably due to my disabling reatek drivers?) but there is a 'surround' option which for me reduces the volume alot and sound more muffled. I am currently set at stereo in battlefiled.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #32,985 of 48,562
Amp? Yes. The E17 is a mere fraction of the power the E12 has, and I consider the E12 to BARELY approach an entry level desktop amp in terms of recommendations for full sized headphones that should be amped. So no, don't expect the E17 to power something like AKGs anywere near their ability.

Get a desktop amp if you wanna power full sized headphones that aren't sensitive 32ohm beaters. Just my two cents.

The E17k is a better choice if you have nothing else, as far as dacs and sources go. In terms of amping, don't rely on the E17 for anything but easy to power stuff.

So you´d recommend getting the E12 over the E17k?

Right now - and at this point I do not have any plans to buy new headphones - I will pretty much only use the amp with my Beyerdynamic DT990 pro headphones. Will be mainly connecting them to my Yamaha AVR (80% ?) and portable devices (iphone, ipod).

I tought it would be nice having the additional features of the E17k, but if the E12 is so much better as an amp - and that is what I will be using ig for mainly - then I´d rather go with the E12, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back