Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 4, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #41,686 of 48,566
Hooked up the G6 to my PS4 Pro for another quick test last night. Tried it via USB and also both USB & Optical. I could used the Party Chat 'Adjust Game/Chat Mix' in the PS4 software when just connected by USB but it was greyed out when connected by Optical and USB. Is this right?? If so, by connecting via USB I guess I'm missing out on Dolby Digital output?? Anything else??

Adjust Game/Chat should be grayed out (unfortunately) when the G6 is connected and the settings are correct. It is the same with MixAmp.

USB only should be stereo. I don't know how the sound quality is though.

The setting "Volume control (Headphones)" should somewhat affect the game/chat balance if I remember correctly. If it affects only the USB audio, it should only affect the chat volume (optical game and USB chat).

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #41,687 of 48,566
Adjust Game/Chat should be grayed out (unfortunately) when the G6 is connected and the settings are correct. It is the same with MixAmp.

USB only should be stereo. I don't know how the sound quality is though.

The setting "Volume control (Headphones)" should somewhat affect the game/chat balance if I remember correctly. If it affects only the USB audio, it should only affect the chat volume (optical game and USB chat).

Thanks for confirming - its greyed out when my GameDac is connected also from memory - that's where the on device controls come in.

At least I know I have the G6 setup correctly. Might just stick with USB only connection for a while in the hope that Creative bring some form of chat mix update to the device?

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #41,689 of 48,566
Wouldn't 5.1 via optical cable be better?

I'm sure it would but not if I lose all game/chat balance control in the UI. Besides, my gaming time is 95% Battlefield 5 right now and that has a 3D audio option in the settings which I guess is preserved via USB. It'll have to do for now I guess athough still not ideal. Really wish I had returned the G6 while I had the chance tbh.

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #41,690 of 48,566
The first page of this thread has a lot of helpful wiring diagrams for setting up various devices to consoles. I never had a Mixamp 5.8, but I did used to have a Mixamp Pro and Mixamp Pro 2013. Setup seems to be pretty similar.

Here's the diagram from the front page for the 5.8:

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/8265289.png
I should probably draw some more of these to cover new devices we use.

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #41,691 of 48,566
Might just stick with USB only connection for a while in the hope that Creative bring some form of chat mix update to the device?

I'm a bit pessimistic regarding this update but I sure hope that they would listen and do something. My pessimism is from Astro times :beyersmile:. They made a firmware update one year ago that made MixAmp TR to crash every time when starting PS4 Pro that has SSD in it. They blamed SSD, my console, my MixAmp... I did all the testing in the world with different consoles, different SSD:s, different MixAmp. In the end they agreed it is because of the firmware but won't do anything since not many people use SSD:s. Nice.

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #41,693 of 48,566
Well I finally recieved the Audio Technica ADG1X, but still waiting on the G6. The ADG1X is replacing my AD700 and I've read a lot of opinions from people who have never tried them, saying the ADG1x is just an expensive AD700x with a mic, totally wrong. These share the same drivers as the AD900X. Direct comparison between the AD700 and the ADG1X, plugged into mixamp pro (2013), the ADG1X murder the AD700. imaging is spot on. The depth to the sound is much fuller, warmer, and much less fatiguing. I love the little extra bass. Everything feels so much more natural. I think these are probably going to be the best headset option for a long time to come for competitive FPS without going to a HD 800 S plus mod mic. Can't wait to get the G6 and see the improvement over the mixamp for surround immersion.

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #41,694 of 48,566
You do realize that they were probably comparing the ORIGINAL ADG1, not the ADG1X to the ORIGINAL AD700. Audio Technica changes their headphones rather frequently. The newer M50X or whatever version is out now wouldn't be like the M50 of old.

Dec 8, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #41,695 of 48,566
It's entirely possible they assumed the ADG1x was the same as the ADG1 and didn't do the research, but from the hours upon hours of research and many threads on countless forums, YouTube comments etc I trawled, I saw that myth repeated several times in comments and answers to questions such as, 'should I go for the AD700X, AD900X or the ADG1X' and comments were the headset is probably just an AD700X with mic.

I just wanted to let anyone know who's interested and seen the same comments, the ADG1X is a very impressive unit. It's definitely the same drivers as the AD900X. I just read an analytical comparison between the AD900X and ADG1X where they tested the frequency response and the graphs are very similar, but the G1X looked slightly more linear according to their graph. So it appears there even a slight difference between the two? Definitely should be a consideration for anyone who's after a competitive FPS headphone. (they're currently 25% off where I am, so great value imo and the reason I finally upgraded)

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #41,696 of 48,566
Either way, no two headphones are the same, even the same model. That can be the discrepancy in graph differences.

Dec 8, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #41,699 of 48,566
So I just got my G6 today! Been using it on Xbox and it’s great so far, my only question is should I be outputting stereo, Windows Sonic, or Dolby audio from the Xbox settings?
you have many options

if you output stereo that is all you will get, do not enable the surround mode in stereo as it will sound funky. you can enable atmos or the sonic audio if youd like to trail them, they are software surround processors and pipe out a stereo signal so if you try them again ensure the g6 does not have the surround button enabled.

if you want to use the g6 surround, set the xbox to output dolby via optical 5.1. you will know you have done it correctly as the middle white light on the side back of the g6 will light up, the g6 is then ready to have that surround button turned on!

would be cool to try out all the options and see which lets you play best!

Dec 8, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #41,700 of 48,566
Not much point in the G6 with the Xbox unless you are using Dolby bitstream out to get 5.1 for SBX to virtualize. Otherwise you're just using it as an external DAC/amp without Xbox chat functionality.

Also regarding Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos: I've never seen a product feature launch with less explanation and as much confusion as these, but basically unless a game includes an Atmos mix or renderer (object based or sufficient channels) Sonic or Atmos do nothing. Sonic just uses the Atmos mix. It's also not clear what games have Atmos either. I've tried Sonic in random games and it's actually worse than stereo if it's not using Atmos, it just simulates surround using 2 channels which is always bad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back