Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 29, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #46,278 of 48,566
I've only used the Waves NX software alone without tracker or camera. It's like any other virtual surround in that regard.

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #46,279 of 48,566
That was it? I would have never figured that out in a million years, lol.

By the way, for WavesNX, can you use it without a camera and the head tracker? How does the tracker even work though? If I have my monitor in front of me, I can't imagine I'm going to look away from it just to determine the direction of a sound.
The tracker isn't a necessity, since you won't be moving your head much, tho for $59 it's not too bad. $99 is too much for what it does.

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #46,281 of 48,566
I updated my review with information on Movie watching, and why you should or shouldn't use which HRTF solutions.
Movie Watching

Most movies and TV programs use encoded audio, either Dolby or DTS, in some flavor. The 2 Windows Sonic plugins Dolby Access and DTS:X can decode those streams and do the HRTF encoding, as intended by the engineers. This can go beyond simple 7.1 as DTS:X and Atmos have speaker configs that have above and below satellites, essentially providing a full 360 degree experience. This is why it's important to set up your player to bitstream these, or you will lose these above/below cues.

You can use the other HRTF packages, but they will limit you to listening to 7.1 channels.

For Dolby Access, just use the Movie profile, as this profile matches the profile the engineers encoded for. DTS:X just does this automagically. Also note these plug-ins will decode earlier encoding technologies, like Dolby Digital + or ProLogic I or II, for example.

This is why I suggest to anyone watching movies or TV on their PC to have both plug-ins, in order to match encoded stream types. Not many releases have both, since the studio would have to license both, and why do the work twice?

For fun I tried out Waves NX with some 5.1 videos, and it does a nice job, however, I still prefer the other proprietary decoders. You just get better immersion, and the Center (Voice) channel is more prominant, as probably intended by the audio encoders.

And I was all ready to buy Redscape........ :rage:

@Chastity - any chance you could try Redscape specifically for TV / Movie watching and compare to the 2 Windows Sonic plugins Dolby Access and DTS:X?

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #46,282 of 48,566
Now that the EQ is turned off on DTS;X, I have to say that I like it again! I actually always liked it for FPS games because the rear cues are better, but had to stop using it because of how it affected the sound. Dolby drove me nuts because of the small sound space - I agree with everyone here.

Question for the SBX crowd - do you set your sound settings to 5.1 surround or 7.1 for gaming?

Redscape sounds very interesting, especially with the ability to adjust room size.

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #46,283 of 48,566
Now that the EQ is turned off on DTS;X, I have to say that I like it again! I actually always liked it for FPS games because the rear cues are better, but had to stop using it because of how it affected the sound. Dolby drove me nuts because of the small sound space - I agree with everyone here.

Question for the SBX crowd - do you set your sound settings to 5.1 surround or 7.1 for gaming?

Redscape sounds very interesting, especially with the ability to adjust room size.
1) People who I know who use SBX set it to 7.1 for one simple reason: actual rear channel info. 5.1 have side channels, so it's more of a U-shape sound field. My problem with SBX is that the rear cues aren't well defined, and are too similar to side channel cues.

2) Glad you are enjoying DTS:X more with better cue information. I guess VSS devs are also learning as we move on and feedback each other.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #46,284 of 48,566
1) People who I know who use SBX set it to 7.1 for one simple reason: actual rear channel info. 5.1 have side channels, so it's more of a U-shape sound field. My problem with SBX is that the rear cues aren't well defined, and are too similar to side channel cues.

2) Glad you are enjoying DTS:X more with better cue information. I guess VSS devs are also learning as we move on and feedback each other.

1) Yeah, that's what I figured too. Some were mentioning 5.1, and I guess they were focusing more on music than games

2) It's definitely much improved now that the EQ is gone. I wonder how it compares to Redscape

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #46,288 of 48,566
Probably just an additional indicator, and nothing that technically changed?

Is it something you can turn off? If so, then that's new, and maybe there if you just want to charge through usb instead of send data....

I was JUST messing with the G6 today to see if it'd be noisy when sending to the Modius through optical (it isn't). I should've checked the software. I also need to check if it's noisy as an analog out to the Jot 2.

I did end up getting a powered usb hub, which did help reduce noise from my usb ports.

I did find out that my TV's optical out to the Mixamp 5.8 and then the Mixamp's passthrough is really not great. I'll have to check if it's the tv or the optical passthrough of the Mixamp that's the issue. The G6 optical out is perfect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back