Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 17, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #45,572 of 48,564
Has anyone found a decent dac for xsx yet? My xsx got lost in transit, replacement arrives tomorrow, keen to avoid having to buy a audio extractor, but will do if that's the best short term solution

From the info I found XsX will only be able to be used with officially MS licensed USB audio devices.
For the moment the ones I know of are LucidSound (8 headsets), Audeze Penrose X, Astro (4 headsets/devices) .
Another digital option is via HDMI to TV and optical out from TV to an iFi Micro iDSD BL, xDSD or XDUOO XD-05 Plus just to name a few good ones IMO. That option will give you Atmos for HP or DTS HP X over digital.
Breakout cables (HDMI+optical or HDMI+HDMI audio) are an option but you will lose 4k 120. I happen to have 4k120 screens so am waiting fro HDMI splitters as well.
Analog you can use controller out to any HP amp, portable or desktop.

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #45,573 of 48,564
From the info I found XsX will only be able to be used with officially MS licensed USB audio devices.
For the moment the ones I know of are LucidSound (8 headsets), Audeze Penrose X, Astro (4 headsets/devices) .
Another digital option is via HDMI to TV and optical out from TV to an iFi Micro iDSD BL, xDSD or XDUOO XD-05 Plus just to name a few good ones IMO. That option will give you Atmos for HP or DTS HP X over digital.
Breakout cables (HDMI+optical or HDMI+HDMI audio) are an option but you will lose 4k 120. I happen to have 4k120 screens so am waiting fro HDMI splitters as well.
Analog you can use controller out to any HP amp, portable or desktop.

My monitor has 3.5mm output, maybe I should test out whether I can output dolby atmos over that

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #45,574 of 48,564
My monitor has 3.5mm output, maybe I should test out whether I can output dolby atmos over that

IMO you might as well output from your controller.
You'll never get "Dolby Atmos" (or "DTS:X) without a "Dolby Atmos" receiver with speaker setup, Smyth Realiser or so called pseudo "Dolby Atmos" TV or soundbar.
All the options I described concern "Dolby Atmos for Headphones" and DTS Headphone: X", which are not the same as "Dolby Atmos" or DTS:X".

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #45,575 of 48,564
IMO you might as well output from your controller.
You'll never get "Dolby Atmos" (or "DTS:X) without a "Dolby Atmos" receiver with speaker setup, Smyth Realiser or so called pseudo "Dolby Atmos" TV or soundbar.
All the options I described concern "Dolby Atmos for Headphones" and DTS Headphone: X", which are not the same as "Dolby Atmos" or DTS:X".

Sorry yeah should clarify, for headphones, but mainly I prefer to not have to leave my headphones plugged into the controller, rather not have them tethered

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #45,577 of 48,564
Isnt the orbit compatible with playstation through usb? You said that usb is only for pc
I updated that comment, I meant that to gain the full surround capability of waves nx, it's only possible on PC. PS4 would only expand stereo.

My bad, I mistook the Ibasso dac as something else. Edited out the statement I made.

As for Penrose, usb is only for CHARGING, and for changing settings in the software on pc. It doesn't have usb audio.

The wireless on the Penrose sounds just like a wired connection. I would not be able to tell.

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #45,578 of 48,564
Anyone have any insight on how X3 stacks up to X2HR? Im not a huge bass-head, but i still want bass

Also MLE, sounds like Phillips claims X2HR is just a slight revision, mostly on materials and such. Think it comes with velour and a hybrid fabric cushion for each ear

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #45,582 of 48,564
I just got a Arctis Pro Wireless and put it back in the box to sell after 15 minutes of head time. It sounds atrocious coming from a TH610. Was hoping the wireless convenience would out weigh the sound quality loss but it's such a drastic difference.

Besides the Arctis sounding super low resolution, there's 0 imaging or sound stage/depth which kills it's presentation. It sounds like what I imagine $3 earbuds do (best way I can describe it).

I have a Penrose on order and pray it's not another Arctis Pro Wireless. I really want to ditch the E30/L30 optical to my TV + USB for my PS5 + PC and go wireless but just don't think performance is there yet.

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #45,583 of 48,564

I'll let you guys in on review mic testing for the Penrose. Disregard the background noise. My room is not exactly a good testing area.

As you can hear, the Penrose sounds damn good. Had to do it via Aux, because I couldn't get my PC to pick up the mic loud enough through wireless and bluetooth. So this is all through the Schiit Hel which I can control much better.

The Penrose mic was made by Shure, and really improves ther quality vs the Mobius mic. Maybe they'll sell it separately in the future for Mobius users.

Ok, so Wireless does have limitations....

The roles have reversed, and now I feel the Mobius mic is better in wireless mode. Disregard the VOLUME output. Thats a setting problem I have.

Ideally you will want to let the mic work through aux, and main audio be wireless for best combination. The wireless mode mic ouput is simply too muffled for my liking. At least on PC, set the Penrose to wireless mode for the Main Audio device, and use an Aux cable to send mic audio, that way you don't limit the bandwith on the microphone. You'll be tethered when voice chatting, but it just sounds so much better. Like drastically so.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #45,585 of 48,564
I *think* they sent me a message before, but I was too busy at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back