Looking for a new pair of cans with bass
Aug 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

danquoc

Head-Fier
Hey, I'm lookin for a new pair of cans. I got the beats solo last year as a gift and were my first pair of on ear headphones. It wasn't long ago that my brother got te M50s and I couldn't believe the quality difference. I was going to buy the m50 as well but I did a last comparisson with that and the beats and came to the conclusion that I want more bass that the m50 offers but doesn't sacrifice quality. Obviously I will never go near the beats line as they are all disgustingly awful. What are a goo pair of can that are comfortable and have bass while doesn't sacrifice too much of everything else. The v-moda lp and m80 look comfortable, how are those? Are there any other headphones you guys can recommend? Its important that the headphones don't leak

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 10
You must accept the fact that you are what we lovingly refer to around here as a "bass-head." Don't be shamed. I went through my bass-head stage as well. Here is a list of hp's that you will enjoy:

-Denon d2k and d5k=they are discontinued but you can still find them on amazon and used here. The new line is out but it's too early to tell just how good there are.

-M audio Q40-clamp is very similar to the m50...pretty decent SQ with earthquake bass

-Beyer dt770...super comfy good bass and isolates well, German build quality

-Fostex t50 modded...there are premodded for sale by people like Mr. Speakers and LFF. They sound incredibly good. Not all flavors deliver that bass you are looking for. Mr. Speakers with the new dog pads I think feel deliver for you.

gL!!

Matt

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 10
If you don't mind getting an open pair of headphones, you should take a look at the HiFiMAN HE-400 paired with a Fiio E17 amp/dac. Great price/performance ratio, and amazing bass. Although, it would be of help if you specified your budget and what kinds of music you listen to.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just saw you didn't want an open headphone, so you can disregard my recommendation. That is, if you end up wanting an open pair of headphones, these are amazing.

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
If you don't mind getting an open pair of headphones, you should take a look at the HiFiMAN HE-400 paired with a Fiio E17 amp/dac. Great price/performance ratio, and amazing bass. Although, it would be of help if you specified your budget and what kinds of music you listen to.
Good luck!
EDIT: Just saw you didn't want an open headphone, so you can disregard my recommendation. That is, if you end up wanting an open pair of headphones, these are amazing.

Hey, the maximum I will spend is 200 USD (maybe 220 after taxes). I listen to pretty much all music, hip hop, rock, pop. If you can recommend a closed pair it would be great.

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 10
AKG K181DJ or K81DJ with digizoid ZO2.3 amp. Both headphones are bass heavy, and the 181DJ has a bass boost switch on the side ("large club" setting) the digizoid zo is a protable subwoofer with around 16 levels of bass boost. With this you could get all the bass you want.

http://www.amazon.com/HARMAN-K81DJ-Closed-Back-Folding-Headphone/dp/B000BDD56W/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1345427381&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=akg+k81+dj

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-High-Performance-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B000GHDQO4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345427392&sr=1-1&keywords=akg+k181+dj

http://www.amazon.com/Digizoid-ZO-2-Personal-Subwoofer/dp/B00747N5ZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345427515&sr=8-1&keywords=digizoid+zo

Total price should be under $200

(K181 + Digizoid = $190 or so, K81DJ + Digizoid = $140 or so)

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 10
I found that the Numark Red Waves match the M50 in SQ and bass in a side by side test at Guitar Center. The M50's have a slight advantage past 4khz, but the Red Waves have more bass potential when EQ'd. So, since I am a basshead myself, I find that I recommend the Red Wave more to bassheads than I do the M50. Just my opinion though.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #7 of 10
I don't know why the obvious choice hasn't been mentioned.

Audio Technica Pro700MKII

And if you can stretch your budget to around $260 you can find a pair of used M100 on amazon, and then you're in for a treat :)

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 10
Im going to put my vote in for the Creative Arvana Live, its a Denon D1001, it has good bass and is closed and pretty cheap.

May 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 10
Im going to put my vote in for the Creative Arvana Live, its a Denon D1001, it has good bass and is closed and pretty cheap.

Second that. Good deep extension, much better than the SuperLux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back