Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jan 8, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,216 of 1,852
Quote:
I've read a fairly large portion of this thread, and it seems that the HD595 and K701 get a LOT of hate.

This concerns me, because I had the HD598, and have the Q701, and between those two stands most of my experience with high-end cans. Is there something I'm missing?

IMHO, the HD598 is much better than the HD595, so don't sweat it.  

Quote:
Anyone saying the M50 sucks. Get a better DAC/amp..

The problem I had with the ATH-M50 was not its sound.  It was fine there.  What I didn't like was the discomfort.  It got a bit better when I put the pads for the Shure SRH-840 on it, but still not quite good enough.  It's more expensive, but I find the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm to be a much better headphone in terms of comfort and sound than either the ATH-M50 or the SRH-840 (though I think the SRH-840 had the best isolation of the three).

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,217 of 1,852
I don't remember the exact model number because it was many years ago, but the first "nice" headphones I ever bought were some Sennheisers that were in the 400 something range for model number. They may have been HD-429 but I'm not positive. What I do remember is the treble was almost non-existent. It sound like the music was being played through a blanket but I was excited to have paid about $75 for a pair of headphones and stuck with them for a long time. Those are the one's I regretted buying the most. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #1,219 of 1,852
Quote:
I don't remember the exact model number because it was many years ago, but the first "nice" headphones I ever bought were some Sennheisers that were in the 400 something range for model number. They may have been HD-429 but I'm not positive. What I do remember is the treble was almost non-existent. It sound like the music was being played through a blanket but I was excited to have paid about $75 for a pair of headphones and stuck with them for a long time. Those are the one's I regretted buying the most. 

HD418/428's? The 438/448's were very susceptible to bass and treble improvements based on a few mods myself and another head-fier compiled here in the review section until I took down my combinations of the bass mod because some other jackass was claiming ownership so I kept the secret recipe to myself.

The HD4"9 series came out just around Q2 of last year I think which improved the 4"8 series a bit more, but I find them to be more darker sounding than it's predecessors.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #1,220 of 1,852
Raze carcharias (or however you spell it). The sound was actually pretty phenomenal for 50 bucks, but the head band construction was crap. I always had to readjust them on my head. 

In the end I ended up buying some Q701s, so I should have just saved the money and gone straight for the q701s. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #1,222 of 1,852
Quote:
I've read a fairly large portion of this thread, and it seems that the HD595 and K701 get a LOT of hate.

This concerns me, because I had the HD598, and have the Q701, and between those two stands most of my experience with high-end cans. Is there something I'm missing?

Not really. In my opinion the HD598 are significantly better than the HD595, but not because the HD595 have some evident weakness, but because the 598 are way better in soundstage and a little better in everything else. Still, I don't get the hate; the price difference between both is larger than the improvement, but that's how things work as you increase the price of audio equipment. 

I have a new regret: XBA-3. Got them, then I found super discounted XBA-1s and bought 2 as gifts. I couldn't resist trying one of them and I ended up preffering the XBA-1 over the XBA-3. Now I'm trying to sell the XBA-3 but since the price difference between those models is astronomical I'm having a hard time : /

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #1,224 of 1,852
ATH PRO700

nothing bad with the sound, but the earpads and headband fake leather started peeling after a year of heavy use. Didn't care too much for the earpad, but the headband is not that easy to fix.

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #1,225 of 1,852
Quote:
Not really. In my opinion the HD598 are significantly better than the HD595, but not because the HD595 have some evident weakness, but because the 598 are way better in soundstage and a little better in everything else. Still, I don't get the hate; the price difference between both is larger than the improvement, but that's how things work as you increase the price of audio equipment. 

I have a new regret: XBA-3. Got them, then I found super discounted XBA-1s and bought 2 as gifts. I couldn't resist trying one of them and I ended up preffering the XBA-1 over the XBA-3. Now I'm trying to sell the XBA-3 but since the price difference between those models is astronomical I'm having a hard time : /

Will you feel worse if I tell you the MH1c is far better than the XBA-1?

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #1,226 of 1,852
Koss ESP-6.  Perhaps I show my age.  There was nothing good about these - heavy, vice grip the likes of which only my ESP-9 was ever able to equal, and oddly unreliable electronics in each cup.  If you see these cheap, and think a vintage electrostatic experiment might be a good thing, don't.  It isn't.  There is a dumpster somewhere in 1980's New Jersey that has my pair, if you want to go get them.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #1,229 of 1,852
Custom iems. They are not comfortable and do not "disappear" into my ears. It feels like somebody clogged my ears with a caulking gun...

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #1,230 of 1,852
 Of the phones I bought the grado rs1is are just the most uncomfortably fitting phones that I have owned.The headband design on this 700 usd headphone is a joke.It is very reminiscent of a basic cb radio headphone design of yore.You think grado would have taken heed by now and improved the design.When I use this phone I find that listening to this phone is torture even for short periods.The sound is ok but not great.It is not the most neutral sounding phone.It sounds ok on some amps but no so great on others.
  You think grado would pay more attention to user comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back