Headphones you regretted buying the most
Dec 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #841 of 1,852

Quote:
there's two i really regret buying.  in order:

1- Klipsch Image ONE:  totally my bad.  i didn't know what i was doing and bought them purely on looks.  these are one of the most horrible sounding hp's i have ever tried.'

2- Grado RS2i:  bought them to see what all the fuss was about with the Grado "sound" and boy did i find out.  all i can say is "not my speed".

So, I'm guessing you like warmth? 
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #842 of 1,852

Quote:
Why was it either HD650 or HD800?  They're such different headphones, about the only thing they have in common is that they are made by the same company, open back, comfy, and both have fast decay. 

The only one I could buy in store at the time was the HD650. I'd heard both the HD650 and the HD800 and I liked them both, despite them being so different. In the end, I think it was the looks of the HD800 that pulled me over, they just look so awesome.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #843 of 1,852

Quote:
The only one I could buy in store at the time was the HD650. I'd heard both the HD650 and the HD800 and I liked them both, despite them being so different. In the end, I think it was the looks of the HD800 that pulled me over, they just look so awesome.

Yeah, that silver look can't be beat. they do look quite modern, don't they?

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #845 of 1,852

Quote:
Sony XB500, good impact but could not get over the muffled mids and highs with no clarity. Even though I tend to like bassy headphones, I was very disppointed.

I've heard the XB700 and the '1000 are a lot better. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #849 of 1,852
Altec Lansing UHP106. They conked out on me twice, despite me treating them extremely gingerly. That's what I get for buying bottom of the rung earphones...

I'll be upgrading to TF10's soon enough anyways, maybe with a Westone ES cable. Hopefully the $180 splurge is worth it.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #851 of 1,852

Quote:
lol i have to laugh cause i just saw this thread and wanted to write how i regret buying the Klipsch Image ONE and the last post is regretting it to. I got em cause i love their speakers. thought maybe they will be kick ass HP but that wasnt the case.

I remember rushing to the nearest Apple store and giving them an extended listen.  Not only did they sound horrible in the rock/acoustic category, but it even missed the mark for hip-hop/dance/trance etc.

The only thing positive I could say about the headphones were that they were comfortable and looked sharp, but man, I can't believe they wanted 150 dollars for a 20 dollar sounding headphone (and even then I'd question if it's worth the purchase).

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #852 of 1,852

Quote:
Sony XB500, good impact but could not get over the muffled mids and highs with no clarity. Even though I tend to like bassy headphones, I was very disppointed.

dude!!!!!

Those headphones are meant to be EQ'd (and this is the only time I'll ever say that)!!!!

Don't listen to rock or jazz or anything else besides dance/rap/hip-hop/some pop.  That's all you need and you'll discover that those headphones are brilliant for their intended use (plus they're very comfortable).

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #853 of 1,852
I tried really hard to like my pair of Denon AH-D1000s, but ultimately found that the sound signature was just too lifeless to me. It really made me regret dumping my es7's for them. But I ended up picking up a set of AH-D2000s, which I enjoyed. But once again, I kept longing the "fun" signature of the es7. I ended up receiving a set of hfi-780's from my girlfriend last Christmas, and instantly knew that these were the headphones that I was looking for all along.

So I guess even though I didn't like the AH-D1000s that I picked up, I don't necessarily regret getting them because they ultimately redirected my headphone search towards the more lively Ultrasones.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #854 of 1,852
I can't believe this...I'm having second thoughts about my Stax SR-202 + SRM-212.

Even without the huge receiver + SRD-7/SB taking up space on my desk, something about it just sounds unrefined compared to the vintage Lambda, especially when it comes to vocal tracks. EQ helps, but it's not a perfect solution. There may still be too many variables with the Lambda in question (rebuilt drivers and all that), but I can't imagine the sound signature being dramatically different from a stock one.

This isn't to say it's a bad headphone system by any means, though.

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #855 of 1,852
Ultrasone Edition 10s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back