Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jul 29, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #693 of 1,852
Grado sr325is...

I had a pair of old 325s, and I thought they sounded pretty good, however, they eventually died a pretty slow death. I purchased a new set of sr325is, and didn't know how different they really were. I thought it was a break-in issue, but they are just waaaay too bright. They hurt my ears with how bright they are, and unlike the "Joe Grado" sounding originals, the new ones can't really be used for certain genres of music entirely. Admittedly, when used with a really well produced Post-Rock album, the experience is like no other... (Russian Circles - Station blows me away on the 325is, for example, but that's not enough to keep them, rather keeping them for a handful of records seems kind of silly to me)

I never use them, and I really wish I had the money to be used on something else. I think I will sell them or trade them for something that fits my tastes better, maybe a working set of "Joe Grado" sounding grados, or perhaps something entirely different.

We talk about buying, what about selling? I regret selling my Denon D1001s, since they no longer make them. They sounded just fantastic, probably one of the best closed headphones at their price and for a bit above. They had the largest headstage of any closed phone I have listened to yet. Sound projected way out of my head, it was indeed an eyebrow raiser.

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #697 of 1,852
Sennheiser HD205s.

My Skullcandy Smokin' Buds had the same sound quality. I can't believe it.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #698 of 1,852
Bose IE buds...boy oh boy was that a mistake. In my defense I hadn't had exposure to anything better at the time but I could still tell from the rolled-off highs and flat mids that I'd wasted £70. Worse, the darn things wouldn't even stay in my ears and the silicone bits kept falling off. I gather that Bose later released a modified design to address that but I'd got rid of mine by that point.

Aside: Since when did we have a language filter here and why is the 4-letter word that starts with d and rhymes with "jam" banned? Surely it's not going to make all the kids cry? I'm not advocating swearing but we always did alright with self-restraint and keen moderation before.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #699 of 1,852

Quote:
Aside: Since when did we have a language filter here and why is the 4-letter word that starts with d and rhymes with "jam" banned? Surely it's not going to make all the kids cry? I'm not advocating swearing but we always did alright with self-restraint and keen moderation before.

I think it's about preventing the site from being blocked by draconian work filters.  Those of us with such filters definitely appreciate it.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #700 of 1,852
Ultrasone Pro 900

Not because of bad quality.
I bought them last month for movies only and I tried out music with them which I only used to have as background noise. They made me really enjoy the bassier type music. One week later I ordered the E7/E9 combo.

Right now I have on the way to me the HD598, Grado 225i, Audio Technica ATHES55, and Brainwavz M2 .
The last two probably aren't on par with the others but will only be used while traveling or in the gym.

Now I will probably purchase another amp/dac. Which means another month of research, the E7/E9 was a quick purchase that normally don't make. I am happy with the E7/E9  it's just that when I leave Iraq and go home I want two setups.

Like I said it wasn't from lack of quality they just led me into so much more.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #701 of 1,852
My biggest regret has always been the Sennheiser HD448. Everything about it was a disappointment. The isolation was dreadful, which meant that the bass was always absent when out and about. The comfort was unbearable for me, my ears would hurt after only 30 minutes of listening. To add insult to injury, regardless of their specs, they were quite difficult to drive and required and extra headphone amp, which I didnt want to lug around with me all the time. I sold them very quickly.

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #703 of 1,852
it's a mystery to me, i can understand banning some of the seven dirty words, but that word you're talking about is used in PG movies.. 
Quote:

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #704 of 1,852
Yes, I was stunned the other day to have that "d" word that rhymes with "jam" edited out of my text. I tried to ask the forum about it, but in the process had it edited out again. Surely this is a joke, as I've seen the "f" word pop up several times and even reported it once or twice.  

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #705 of 1,852
we should just start using hifi brands as replacement words.

'what the grado were they thinking'

'holy fostex that's awesome'

'that's such a piece of stax'

'why would anyone buy that pile of schiit'

'that dude is acting like a total cardas'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back