Headphones you regretted buying the most
May 14, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #616 of 1,852

Quote:
Has got to be the Smeggy Thunderpants. Very expensive, hard to import, extremely underwhelming sound and shoddy build quality.
Couldn't get over the messy, congested sound. I am told I had a bad fit or may have had "leaky pants" -- which point to poor ergonomics (I don't want to have to work for my headphone fit) or poor build quality/lack of quality control.

At the price, I was expecting far more and a much better end-user experience.

I was so looking forward to these headphones but they disappointed terribly.

You realize these are not made by a company, but by a head-fier, who does it out of kindness more than to make money right?  He's not an MOT because he doesn't profit off of the TP's.  So clearly they're not expensive.  Hard to import is your problem.  And shoddy build quality?  They are made by hand, by a guy in his garage.  What were you expecting?  Regardless, The pair I borrowed and photographed were gorgeous, as can be seen in my sig.  They also fit me great, due to the angled headband rods and huge soft earpads.  Some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned actually, aside from the weight. 

It seems like you were expecting some mass produced item with a company backing them up. 

May 14, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #617 of 1,852
Did you buy them from Smeggy, or are your pants not thunderpants? I hardly think that the TPs have shoddy build.

May 14, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #618 of 1,852
I would say it would have been the RS1. Sure they sounded great, but ultimately aren't worth the price jump from a SR-325i. I sold them shortly after I got them in favor of my SR-325i (now a owner of a MAGNUM V2.5 SR-325is).

Another headphone I regretted buying is the DT250/80Ohm. They sound good and all but have a tad too much bass for my liking. Good thing they were used and also cheap :wink:

May 15, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #620 of 1,852
You realize these are not made by a company, but by a head-fier, who does it out of kindness more than to make money right?  He's not an MOT because he doesn't profit off of the TP's.  So clearly they're not expensive.  Hard to import is your problem.  And shoddy build quality?  They are made by hand, by a guy in his garage.  What were you expecting?  Regardless, The pair I borrowed and photographed were gorgeous, as can be seen in my sig.  They also fit me great, due to the angled headband rods and huge soft earpads.  Some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned actually, aside from the weight. 

It seems like you were expecting some mass produced item with a company backing them up. 

Oh, I'm sorry, did I strike a nerve?

Hard to import is true but you're just an apologist fooling yourself if you think Smeggy isn't profiting from each Thunderpants made. The fostexs are used to make these can be had for as low as $50. $80 tops. Wood at most $100, that's being supremely conservative. Cables are $20 tops plus say another $10 for the neutrik and the sleeving. If you think there isn't a sizable profit there selling it at $500 you're just deceiving yourself, or poor at math/doing overhead.

You also argue that since he doesn't profit from them (highly unlikely) they're not expensive? So if I sold a diamond for a million dollars, but it cost me a million to obtain it and polish it etc. It wouldn't be expensive? Sorry that's ridiculous logic. A $500 headphone is expensive for most people.

I have experience custom modding cans, I put my woody Grados together as well by myself and with two other craftsmen. I assure you I do not have a company behind me. The build was a lot better. and the costs are a lot smaller than you'd think.

And again your apologist logic is torn to shreds. Just because an item is made by hand, doesn't excuse poor build. Poor build is poor build regardless of how an item is made. There are hand-crafted items of good quality, and ones of poor quality.

May 15, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #621 of 1,852
haha you didn't strike a nerve, it's just a little sad to see them in this list, and I didn't agree with anything you said.   But fair enough. 
tongue.gif

May 17, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #623 of 1,852
Ultrasone HFI-780s, I bought them because I wanted alot of bass.But turns out I got tired of there bass ammount that I in up selling them for the AKG 702s. Which I happy that I did as I enjoying those over the HFI-780.

May 17, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #624 of 1,852
HD555

@Mochan-You never said if you bought them from Smeggy.  Some folks have been selling knockoffs using his name.  Oddly they were described the same way you have.

May 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #629 of 1,852
Bose Triport. Enough said 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #630 of 1,852

Users who are viewing this thread

Back