Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jan 3, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #1,757 of 1,852
ATH - AD900x just don't understand any praise for these. Yes there is "Air" but the sound is about the same size as an orange - with "Air" floating around it. No image queues, no depth. Just one soft, overly bright, smudged mid-centric sound with a tone that resembles a transistor radio playing through a rusty tin can.

Really comfy though :)   

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #1,758 of 1,852
I would have to say my M50x. They are not horrible but for the money I just don't find them worth it. I think it showed face for me after purchasing my HD558 for 1/3 the price & found them MUCH better. I do understand I'm comparing open to closed back. They have their place to a degree but don't live up to the hype IMHO....

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #1,759 of 1,852
AudioTechnia AD700's very disappointing for me.. 

look pretty awesome.. but felt like they were sliding down my head ever time I wore them.. which was only a handful of times because I was allergic to the earpads... also no bass.. at all..

I would also give a Honorable mention to the Takstar HD5500 and it little tiny earcups.. and meh sound.. I have no idea why I ordered this thing.. on the upside I got a "free" brainwavz headphone stand w/ purchase..sooooo ...yeah.. would have been better off just buying the stand.    I have no idea who's ears would fit inside the ear cups of the HD5500 but they would have tiny ears... I think I will give these headphones to my baby nephew when he gets a little older or one of my friend's kids..  cause I haven't used them basically since 3 days after I got them 2 years ago.

haters going to hate but I still like my ATH M50's pretty fun sound... I use them at work and out and about ... I do like my DT770's better but the DT770's don't travel well.

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,760 of 1,852
I would have to say my M50x. They are not horrible but for the money I just don't find them worth it. I think it showed face for me after purchasing my HD558 for 1/3 the price & found them MUCH better. I do understand I'm comparing open to closed back. They have their place to a degree but don't live up to the hype IMHO....

I listened to a pair of M50Xs and I did like them, but I found the hype completely unwarranted.

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,761 of 1,852
I listened to a pair of M50Xs and I did like them, but I found the hype completely unwarranted.

Yeah they aren't bad but for $180ish I know you can get better.

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #1,763 of 1,852
Mu biggest regret was buying Sennheiser HD 650. I could not believe my ears when I heard them - bloated, too strong midbass, no clarity, transparancy, nothing. I used it with well recorded CDs and Asgard 2 which is said to have been tuned for hd600/650. Now, I have concluded that I do not belong to what I call "Sennheiser audiofool community". Sennheiser used to be a serious company, making some very nice cans in 80s and 90s. But when they launched HD580 and later hd600 and 650, they started being ironic about the sound quality. My DT880 and AKG 550 are a hundred of light years ahead of these overrated and ridiculously overpriced phones.  

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #1,766 of 1,852
  ATH - AD900x just don't understand any praise for these. Yes there is "Air" but the sound is about the same size as an orange - with "Air" floating around it. No image queues, no depth. Just one soft, overly bright, smudged mid-centric sound with a tone that resembles a transistor radio playing through a rusty tin can.

Really comfy though :)   

I gotta say I have the same experience as you on the AD900X. Have you tried the A900X? It is significantly more fun sounding IMO.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #1,767 of 1,852
Ultrasone Pro 550s.

Not terrible but even used, they cost more than they were worth to me.

DSC_5646a1_zpsbbyb0ola.jpg

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #1,768 of 1,852
Denon D2000.

Bought brand new a few years ago and everyone praises it, but what a piece of **** it was. No soundstage, no bass, no middle, no nothing.

Really? I own a pair with Brainwavs angled pads and the bass is superb with a great soundstage(for closed cans). Mids are definitely not as clear but are by no means terrible.

But don't take my word for it. Here's some objective proof that they deserve their reputation: http://www.head-fi.org/a/the-best-bass-headphones-a-head-fi-wiki

Oh and on topic my worst purchase was not one, not two, but three sets of Bose on-ear headphones. Then I learned of the wonderful world of audiophile cans and I never looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back