Headphones you regretted buying the most
May 5, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #1,606 of 1,852
I regret buying the Sennheiser cx215

I can tell how its sound quality and aesthetics would appeal to some people but its just not for me.

I has good looks, great implementation of cable organizer, comfort is definetely good, fast hitting and accurate bass, warm voice, good detail production, but suckily tamed highs.

May 5, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #1,607 of 1,852
I also regret buying the Soundmagic ES10.

It is aesthetically pleasing, has very nice cables, very nice fit, nice sparkly highs, but the bass (despite having very pleasing level of weight and speed to it) lacks in detail, the voice is too recessed for my liking, and the straight jack both annoys and worries me when it come to durability and the way it bumps into everything

May 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,610 of 1,852
May 6, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #1,611 of 1,852
  Sennheiser HD 280. Not very high end, but anyone who is new to purchasing headphones should be steered away from these.

Agreed.

It was my first significant headphone purchase and, for a long time, I convinced myself they were good. And then I heard good headphones.

May 6, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,613 of 1,852
Hmmm that's a tough one... I guess it's a love hate relationship

but my Denon AH D2k, was my most regretted purchase,

It's a long story so here we go

I traded a working pair of HE 400s and New Sealed T50RPs + 100$ for a Denon D2k with Wood Cups [Colobolo Wood] I also paid to get them re termianted to XLR, well my seller insisted that before I get teh headphone he send them to the guy who put the wood cups on to have them reconiditioned, well that was a good thing but it lead to about a 3 month wait time, the first time I got the phones about 3 months after I paid for them the XLR wasn't terminated right and the headphones sounded Horrific

the second time I sent them again the headphones came back and sounded just as bad this was about a month later, but with a SE adapter, ironically the headphones sounded fine... so I sent them back a Third time 2 weeks later and the XLR was clear but it... was Mono. No differance in the left and right channels even with a stero amp... so then I sank about $250 into them to get a brand new cable and I paid to have the Lawton Driver Mods and ePads installed, so now another 2 months later and I get them and they are in full working order... HURRAY

I bought my D2k in Novemeber, and I think I've had it for about 2 months now so that's what... like a 6 month wait time :/... but they are a wonderful head phone and it was 100% worth the trouble, but for the first uhhh 6 month it was my most regretted purchase! Ofc first time I heard it with the mods and a fully working cable it was awesome! 

May 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,614 of 1,852
Akg k430's. Spent so much time with them trying to justify my purchase in hopes of making them sound at least decent that I went past the time in which I could return them. Now I keep them way out of sight as a constant reminder not to easily buy into anything CNET says in a review.

They're a bloated sounding, headache inducing, muffled and to cap off they're supposed to be enclosed, but the pads are too small I still hear noise from the world around me which is the only soundstage I hear out of them. I just really hate them so much that I wouldn't want to inflict that kind of pain on someone else even if I were to just gave them away.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

May 7, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,615 of 1,852
Ultrasone pro750. I actually bought them twice bc I saw them go on ridiculous sales on both occassions.

The Mad Dog 3.2 was also a startling disappointment as well as the grado sr225i and q701

May 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #1,616 of 1,852

The Mad Dog 3.2 was also a startling disappointment as well as the grado sr225i and q701

*sigh* yea the Mad Dog 3.2 was major case of HYPE TRAIN... I was always impressed with the quality of the headphone... but never a fan of it's DARK sound signiture 

May 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #1,617 of 1,852
  Sennheiser HD 280. Not very high end, but anyone who is new to purchasing headphones should be steered away from these.

I owned HD280s for 7 years until they broke. I never really liked how thin they sounded, but for some reason I put up with them because they were durable (except for the headband pad that would keep splitting apart) and fairly portable, and I found them reasonably comfortable. I would be interested to hear a pair again now that I own higher end phones like K702's to see just how bad they really were. I also didn't have a headphone amp at the time, and I wonder if that would have helped at all.

May 7, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,618 of 1,852

I owned HD280s for 7 years until they broke. I never really liked how thin they sounded, but for some reason I put up with them because they were durable (except for the headband pad that would keep splitting apart) and fairly portable, and I found them reasonably comfortable. I would be interested to hear a pair again now that I own higher end phones like K702's to see just how bad they really were. I also didn't have a headphone amp at the time, and I wonder if that would have helped at all.

Probably, they do have a high impedance. They are just cheap products though, and with such a good name. Just curious, has anyone ever bought sub $100 beyerdynamics, and regretted the purchase? I did not risk getting the DTX 910s, but I heard that beyerdynamics suffer a huge drop in sound quality in the lower end.

May 8, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #1,619 of 1,852
Fostex TH600.    The bass wasnt particularly impactful (compared to LCD2 or even HD650) and it was just a painfully bright and shrieky headphone that made me want to gouge my eyeballs out after 5 min of listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back