Headphones you regretted buying the most
May 13, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #1,636 of 1,852

I actually owned both of these as well and pretty much agree with you spot on. I know people like the HD800 because it's so analytical and spacious but the treble was pretty irritating to my ears and the midrange seemed too withdrawn. Also found the LCD-2 too dark and closed in.

If you're ever around a meet, try to give a listen to the HE-500 from hifiman. I used to own a K701 and HD650 duo and enjoyed the ying/yang on the pair. I think the HE-500 sits right between those two in terms of tonality. I'd easily pick it over the LCD-2 or HD800. Actually, I did end up picking it out of the flagships (HD800, HE-6, HE-5LE, LCD-2, T1).

Wow, at least there are two of us, now!  I have had exactly the same experiences with the HD800s.

I'll keep what I have for now.  HE-500s are a bit uncomfy for me and I already have two headphones with different sound signatures, both of which i like, depending on the music.  I'm at a resting point as far as cans are concerned

May 13, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #1,638 of 1,852
  Yes, I am in the minority.  The Audeze cans are too dark for me.  I didn't care for the treble or the mid-range of the HD850s.  I'm not sure what the story was with the HD800s.  A number of audio friends listened to the HD800s and agreed.  I've kept them, however, in the hope that it has something to do with extended break-in.

You should give the K812 a listen if you are able. I felt the same way about both the HD 800 and the LCD-2, although I could live with the LCD-2s sound, I rather have dark than treble oriented with a recessed midrange like the HD 800. My favorite flagships have been discontinued and there are only a few current flagships I would consider owning, with the K812 being the top of my list. The HE-6 being another but I don't want to have to buy an amp to power it properly and the comfort wasn't as good as I would like.

May 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #1,639 of 1,852
Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, at least there are two of us, now!  I have had exactly the same experiences with the HD800s.

I'll keep what I have for now.  HE-500s are a bit uncomfy for me and I already have two headphones with different sound signatures, both of which i like, depending on the music.  I'm at a resting point as far as cans are concerned

There's a few others too 
wink.gif
. I think Sennheiser's marketing is also a major factor. The general perception is the HD800s are amazing, pretty much flawless. There was a good number of "old time" headphone enthusiasts that found the same flaws with the HD800s

I also find myself reaching for my Q701 more often than the Hifimans. The mid-fi phones really have a lot going for them in terms of both SQ and long term comfort. 

May 13, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #1,641 of 1,852

There's a few others too 
wink.gif
. I think Sennheiser's marketing is also a major factor. The general perception is the HD800s are amazing, pretty much flawless. There was a good number of "old time" headphone enthusiasts that found the same flaws with the HD800s

I also find myself reaching for my Q701 more often than the Hifimans. The mid-fi phones really have a lot going for them in terms of both SQ and long term comfort. 

That is true, I think a lot has to do with marketing as well. It's worrisome that the HD 800s flaws are downplayed so much, it has some obvious sound balance issues, it's not a balanced sounding headphone to me but rather a treblehead and soundstage lovers headphone.

I think the mid-tier headphones is where the value is at. I think I will be happiest with my K712 and maybe an HD 600 as a second pair of headphones. The flagships are generally less comfortable than many of the mid-tiers in my experience and while the flagships are more refined sounding in general, they are not really worth the extra cost.

May 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,642 of 1,852

That is true, I think a lot has to do with marketing as well. It's worrisome that the HD 800s flaws are downplayed so much, it has some obvious sound balance issues, it's not a balanced sounding headphone to me but rather a treblehead and soundstage lovers headphone.

I think the mid-tier headphones is where the value is at. I think I will be happiest with my K712 and maybe an HD 600 as a second pair of headphones. The flagships are generally less comfortable than many of the mid-tiers in my experience and while the flagships are more refined sounding in general, they are not really worth the extra cost.

Sorry to keep on this OT, but when I had my K712 and a pair of HD600, I found them to have nearly identical tonalities. Really similar sounding overall, but the K712 edged the HD600 in basically every category: soundtage, detail retrieval, transparency. May not be a really "different" sounding headphone. 

D7000 hands down no contest.  Way below average sound quality for the price those jokers ask for it.

I don't think the D7000 were super off, but I guess I might be influenced because I purchased it new for a fraction of MSRP. I don't really think the D7000 ever sold near the MSRP though.

May 13, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #1,643 of 1,852
Sorry to keep on this OT, but when I had my K712 and a pair of HD600, I found them to have nearly identical tonalities. Really similar sounding overall, but the K712 edged the HD600 in basically every category: soundtage, detail retrieval, transparency. May not be a really "different" sounding headphone.

I thought they sound quite different. What do you think is a good complimentary headphone with the K712?

May 13, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,644 of 1,852

I agree with everything, but i would add that some "ravers" may have more money than experience.  

May 13, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #1,645 of 1,852

I thought they sound quite different. What do you think is a good complimentary headphone with the K712?

That's tough because I found the K712 to really sit in a neutral spot. If you have a headphone that's dark its easy to find a complement in a brighter headphone. 

I agree with everything, but i would add that some "ravers" may have more money than experience.  

Shots fired, shots fired! 

A lot of those same people also will defend their latest purchase to the bitter end. I think the HD800 hype is dying off a bit though. Only took 5 years. 

May 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #1,646 of 1,852

You should give the K812 a listen if you are able. 

The reviews of the K812s by members have been very mixed, the last time i looked. There is no substitute for auditioning headphones with one's own gear.  However, I haven't looked in Denmark. My experience is that flagship headphones are not generally stocked and it takes a long time, for example, to even order an HD650.  (I bought my HD800s in the US).  Valuing information on head-fi is difficult, for me at least, and yet this is THE major source of headphone information on the planet...in English.  High-end headphones can be a major source of economic "regrets" (comparing your ex post experience after you buy them with your ex ante expectations, when you buy them).  I've experienced two such "mistakes" so far, so for me the downside risk is pretty high, compared to the upside of more moderately priced headphones.  

I have had much better luck with sources, speakers, amps, preamps and headphone amps.  I wonder if the risk with high-end headphones isn't systematic in some way? 

May 13, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #1,647 of 1,852

That's tough because I found the K712 to really sit in a neutral spot. If you have a headphone that's dark its easy to find a complement in a brighter headphone. 

Shots fired, shots fired! 

A lot of those same people also will defend their latest purchase to the bitter end. I think the HD800 hype is dying off a bit though. Only took 5 years. 

It is quite neutral, but it's not K612 neutral though. I may just stick with the K612 being the complimentary phone. I am thinking about an ortho such as the HE-500 though.

I think the hype may be dying down a little as well. I'm curious what the next overly loved headphone will be.
  The reviews of the K812s by members have been very mixed, the last time i looked. There is no substitute for auditioning headphones with one's own gear.  However, I haven't looked in Denmark. My experience is that flagship headphones are not generally stocked and it takes a long time, for example, to even order an HD650.  (I bought my HD800s in the US).  Valuing information on head-fi is difficult, for me at least, and yet this is THE major source of headphone information on the planet...in English.  High-end headphones can be a major source of economic "regrets" (comparing your ex post experience after you buy them with your ex ante expectations, when you buy them).  I've experienced two such "mistakes" so far, so for me the downside risk is pretty high, compared to the upside of more moderately priced headphones.  

I haven't had much better luck with sources, speakers, amps, preamps and headphone amps.  I wonder if the risk with high-end headphones isn't systematic in some way? 

True, but the HD 800 also has near raving reviews by most members but many other headphones have very mixed reviews. Most mixed reviews are about it not being as good as the HD 800 which I found the opposite, the K812 was the better headphone without a doubt to my ears, much better balanced and musical sounding. True, it can be hard to audition headphones, I only heard them because a friend has a pair as there is no decent audio stores where I live. Audio is a very fickle hobby and can be rife with disappointments. I would personally only buy a flagship if I had the chance to audition them but sadly it's not always possible.

I've had mixed luck with dacs, amps, etc. as well. I haven't explored much into speakers yet. Won't for a while.

May 14, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #1,648 of 1,852
With a lot of the HD800 lovers, if you tell them the HD800 have flaws, they will tell you that's because you don't have the right amp/DAC/cable etc. which to me is such BS, if you follow their logic, in theory any headphones can be flawless with the right synergy.

May 14, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #1,649 of 1,852

I have had MUCH BETTER LUCK (edited) with sources, speakers, amps, preamps and headphone amps.  I wonder if the risk with high-end headphones isn't systematic in some way? 

Wow...I can see that I was writing far too quickly last night.  I have edited my post, which should have said: That I have had much better luck with my other gear than headphones.  Sorry about that.  Be kind.

May 14, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #1,650 of 1,852
iems for my case.. didnt know why i even did it but i got bose qc20i and returned it after 1 hour. lol... oops just realized i am in full sized-headphones section - I regretted buying a blaupunkt headphones - very uncomfortable even for the cheap price point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back