Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 16, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #290 of 4,994

Quote:
Are those the Jaben cups? How did you get the red color and the threads off? I just received a pair and set them up with my 125 drivers. the red is unique but ugly. Although now that I look at the picture I may get used to it.

Oven cleaner did not do a good job in my case. Finally I came to use caustic soda, which worked perfectly. The result was a kind of dull, matte alu finish, which I turned into that sort of brushed look by using a simple scouring pad brushing the shells in cirles et voila. I also cut the profile a little in order to reduce the somewhat exaggerated depth of the cups.

Quote:
Will it work on the new 325is (silver matt finish back to brushed aluminum). 

After I removed the red color from my Jabens with caustic soda, the result was not really nice.  Don't know if the Grado alu differs from the Jaben one in durability, but the Jabens quickly responded to the scouring pad treatment by showing the brushed look.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #291 of 4,994
Hi everyone,

It's been years since I last visited this forum and as such I'm trying to catch up on this mod.  Just to make sure I understand what's going on, the Magnum mod takes any Grado and revamps them either or all of the drivers, cups, and gimbal?

Also as far as the sound is concerned, I've read some comments but I'm still unclear as to how these would compare to the other Grado mods out there like adding wood cups or doing the MS1000 mod.  Would some one please give a brief explanation?  Thanks.

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #292 of 4,994
After completing the full alu setup yesterday, I installed my second set of V4's into my Zebrawood rs1-clones today.
Both setups are burning in. Comparing both to my Cocobolo V3.5s, I can definitely say that the V4's have MORE BASS. Another thing I can say, we Grado modders did not go wrong when we chose the wood way. The Magnums pair extremely well with wood, both the V3.5 and the V4's, the first being more on the neutral side and making the highs sparkle and shine, the latter bringing out the lower end more while not losing on transparency and instrument separation.
I can never wait for burn-in to complete. So I always put on the new setups right away. And I can say one thing for sure. Even at the beginning of burn-in and right from the start I fell in love with the sound of the wood setup and, at the moment, I would prefer it over the alu version. The V4's in wood shells sound absolutely fantastic to my ears, they do everything right, nothing is missing. I do not want to say more about the alu setup, I have the feeling that I can only draw any conclusions after I give them more burn-in time.
I will report back once the drivers are fully burnt in. Just thought I should share my initial impressions. When I read that Rhydon had been trying to work on the highs to reduce sibilance I never noticed I was not expecting that he had tweaked the lower end as well. I definitely like what I am hearing. Good job, Rhydon!

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #294 of 4,994

Quote:
just wondering,,,,,,,,,I'm sure wood species affects tone here. Cocobolo vs zebrawood vs mahogany would likely all have different signatures. Cupping the hands on a grado, the tone changes greatly. This can only mean that there is alot of sound bouncing around in there and the wood species is what it's bouncing around in/on/off.......maybe that's where the extra bass came from?

Sure, wood will affect the sound. I have several wood setups, the sound varies, but ever so slightly. What I am hearing in the V4's then, is not an ever so slight difference, it is quite noticeable. Even in the alu cups. It is easy for me to notice since I use the same source on all setups, the same amp, the same pads.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #296 of 4,994
I sent rhydon a message and asked him to invoice me for the drivers and chambers. Im not certain I want to go through with the purchase but did just want to have it ready to go if/when I did decide.

So your liking the all wood and not the aluminum?

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #297 of 4,994

Quote:
So your liking the all wood and not the aluminum?

I wouldn't put it that way. Yet, I can't say I liked something in the alus better than in the wood setup, soundwise. Sure, the alu phones are an eye catcher, yet they are significantly heavier than wood shells. In addition, the Jaben outer shells are larger than 325s or similar, so with bowls they tend to kind of sway back and forth a bit.
IMHO going for wooden inserts in alu outers would basically make you end up with the sound of a woodie with alu outers just for aesthetics. Which is not a bad reason to go for this setup, but the alu outer will probably have very limited effect on the sound. Just my 2 cents.
I have everything at my disposal to find the best setup. Single piece wood shells, wooden outers for Rhydon's alu air chambers, wooden inners for the alu Jaben shells ...
It will just take some time and testing to find the perfect setup, FOR ME. At the moment my vote for Nr 1 option would go to the V4 Magnum woodies. Although I must say that the somewhat more neutral V3.5 have really grown on me lately. Nice to have them both :wink:

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #298 of 4,994

Are the jaben cups larger than standard 325 cups? I guess thats another link in the chain. The only thing Im nnot sold on is the gold grado cups and silver housings. I know you can take the gold off but it leaves a nasty unfinished dull grey look on the grado cups.
Quote:
I wouldn't put it that way. Yet, I can't say I liked something in the alus better than in the wood setup, soundwise.
Sure, the alu phones are an eye catcher, yet they are significantly heavier than wood shells. In addition, the Jaben outer shells are larger than 325s or similar, so with bowls they tend to kind of sway back and forth a bit.
I have everything at my disposal to find the best setup. Single piece wood shells, wooden outers for Rhydon's alu air chambers, wooden inners for the alu Jaben shells ...
It will just take some time and testing to find the perfect setup, FOR ME. At the moment my vote for Nr 1 option would go to the V4 Magnum woodies. Although I must say that the somewhat more neutral V3.5 have really grown on me lately. Nice to have them both :wink:

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #299 of 4,994

I can see that the weight being an issue. The Jaben cups are  looking heavy. Maybe they would be best with G-Cush pads + Distancer???. Funny you finish your last sentence saying that the 3.5 neutral signature were growing on you because would you say that the V4 with the chambers are also more Neutral? I would think the Wood cups would accentuate the Bass a little as per my experience with my past Wooden MS2i. One way or the other you have all the options in front of you  (it's like a personal Harem of headphones) so however you feel one day you'll have the proper phone to your liking. 
tongue.gif
 What a tough position your are in my friend.

Quote:
I wouldn't put it that way. Yet, I can't say I liked something in the alus better than in the wood setup, soundwise.
Sure, the alu phones are an eye catcher, yet they are significantly heavier than wood shells. In addition, the Jaben outer shells are larger than 325s or similar, so with bowls they tend to kind of sway back and forth a bit.

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #300 of 4,994

Quote:
Funny you finish your last sentence saying that the 3.5 neutral signature were growing on you because would you say that the V4 with the chambers are also more Neutral? I would think the Wood cups would accentuate the Bass a little as per my experience with my past Wooden MS2i.

The V4's have their stronger bass impact in the alu setup as well. Noticeably stronger than the woodied V3.5's. The woodied V4's bass response to my ear has a little less punch but is still full-bodied, defined and just mellower. Do not know if mellow is the right word, but I'll let it stand that way and hope that you will understand what I mean.
To my ears and my personal preferences, this is just the right balance if I feel I am in the mood for a little more bass and less clean and neutral sound, which I prefer in other situations and tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back