Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 15, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #271 of 4,994
Quote:
Hey Nick. Got the G-cush pads today and I made some distancer from Grado plastic rings from liberated driver and I have to say that I'm very impress with the sound on the MS-Pro. I do not understand how come they sound so gound because logically adding distance between ears and the driver should just get them brighter and thin in the lower region but no. The mids are just as engaging and maybe even more on the MS-Pro, the High are just perfect no sibilance and the bass are detail, punchy and thigh. But the cream of the cream is the AMAZINNNNNNNNNNNNG
eek.gif
 S-O-U-N-D-S-T-A-G-E. The instrument separation get even better with all that space. I'm listening to Dave Matthews -Some Devil album and it's just very very good. Just wanted to share this new discovery for me.  Cheer 
biggrin.gif

*Update* The are now MS-Ultimate as per Nickchen mod.

Can you take some pics of your MS Ultimate for us please?
happy_face1.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #273 of 4,994

Quote:
Very nice and unique Wayne. Martin always come with a new design. Looking forward to see them finish and assembled with the magnum. 

Thanks.  And, yes, working with Marty is great.  Actually, our e-mail conversation was very simple.  I just asked for Mahogany, a cup design that wasn't using simple lines like the RS1/RS2 cups ... and his mind started working, while 100% of my trust was placed into his hands.  In the end, this really worked out well.  I meant that I never had to worry for a second how they they would turn out.  Then, I received the note from him that they were done and on their way.  He did tell me that I could either wait to see them in 2-3 days in person when they arrived, or that he had posted pictures on his blog.  Well, the temptation was too great, so I screamed over to his blog site and the rest is history ....

However, for someone who is looking to get a custom pair of cups built, Marty has amassed quite a large number of different cuts and materials as pictured on his blog site.  It would be very easy for the buyer to point to a specific cup that they would like.  Then, I'm sure that Marty would make that design of a cup for them - to the similarity of 90 - 95% of the cloned cup.  I indicate the percentage that I do because since the previous cups have been sold off, it's hard to just take a caliper and collect precise measurements of the other cups to cut the new pair to an exact point.  However, that last 5% to 10% is the customization that Marty will add to make your pair of cups unique to you.  You'll be well assured that no two are alike and yours was customized for you.

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #274 of 4,994

Quote:

If I hadn't got hold of the Magnums, I would also have tried the MS Ultimate mod, since I was really impressed by the sound of my MS1000's. Now that I am waiting for V4 Magnums I am looking forward to finding out how 'Magnum Ultimates' will sound.

you will be amazed

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #275 of 4,994
I have decided to go with the FWJ and have paid just now. Also I'll keep the aluminum shells, cable, etc with the exception of the headband which I'll use on the FWJ since my headband is pretty good already according to Martin. Hopefully that will save me some costs since I'll sell that when i get them back.

I was told a 2-3 week turnaround and hopefully closer to 2 weeks so maybe 6-7 weeks until I get mine back since i'm goign to send them to a few head-fi members before I get them back. Luckily my HE-500, HE-300 and T50RP will keep me company until then :)

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #276 of 4,994
Seeing all this discussion is making me extremely anxious to receive my Magnums.. International shipping, why are you choosing this moment to take so long?

@wje: How did you manage to get that little message under your username!

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #278 of 4,994
I`ll do that tonight (if I fine the time) and got to say again that after typing my last post last night I just lay back and browse my library trying to put the MS-Ultimate  at fault and could not. Everything I tried just sounded very good. From acoustic Spanish solo guitar to full orchestra movie score to Newage & DubStep they all spread across the new play ground and gave me a rendition of beautiful music. 

Quote:
Can you take some pics of your MS Ultimate for us please?
happy_face1.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #280 of 4,994

Quote:
The first set of V4's have found their home. Full aluminum. Burn-in time! Just to comlete the setup I will add wood gimbals and rod blocks.

why not keep it this way? you would have everyone fooled that its a pair of ps1000's =) What a beauty!! =)

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #281 of 4,994
Are those the Jaben cups? How did you get the red color and the threads off? I just received a pair and set them up with my 125 drivers. the red is unique but ugly. Although now that I look at the picture I may get used to it.
I originally bought these for the magnum drivers but once I saw Martin's work I had to have a set of his cups. So while I wait for the new drivers, shells and cups the frame is kept busy with these.

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #283 of 4,994
stratocaster thats a nice looking set right there :)

A bit OT but does anyone know how long it takes for your bank to show a payment on paypal if paid via bank account and through an invoice? I paid for my FWJ this morning and it isn't showing up on my bank or changing my available balance online and it kinda is making me nervous. Hopefully it's just one of those needs a day to show in my bank account thing.

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #285 of 4,994
I haven't done this to Jaben's cups specifically, but for other colored anodized aluminum parts... I use Easy-Off over cleaner.

Quote:
Sounds dangerous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back