Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 14, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #256 of 4,994

Quote:

How do your 225's compare to the Magnums via your Sansui?

The SR-225i woodies woke up quite a bit when using the Sansui.  I really like the sound - and I still consider that level / model to be a nice price point.  However, the Magnum drivers as each day goes by leave me much more impressed.  Had I never heard the Magnum drivers, I probably would still be standing on the other side of the fence - convinced that my SR-225i was essentially the best I could achieve in that price league.  However, the Magnums are a much better eye opener ... or, should I say ear opener?  As we'd say, it's all in the details and that's where I notice the beauty of the Magnums.  The clean, yet detailed sound.  Pair this with a vintage receiver and you have bliss.

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #257 of 4,994
So it looks like marty got my magnums finally :)

I just have to decide if I want a FWJ or just the cups + cable..

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #259 of 4,994

Quote:
Don't you already have the full aluminum chambers?

It's just a 325i cups to my knowledge. I'm the second owner so not quite sure but regardless of the fact it is HEAVY. It makes every other headphone I've used seem light such as a LCD2 and HE500 which are not that light. Also I was advised to go woody by some members who have opinions that I trust so sounds like a plan. I just have to see how much I am willing to spend and if I can get the costs down a bit since it is not cheap to go FWJ.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #260 of 4,994
Marty has just shipped the Mahogany cups for my 2nd pair of Magnums.  They're a bit bare looking at the moment, but don't expect them to stay that way for very long after I receive them.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #261 of 4,994

Quote:
Marty has just shipped the Mahogany cups for my 2nd pair of Magnums.  They're a bit bare looking at the moment, but don't expect them to stay that way for very long after I receive them.

Those things are awesome looking Wayne. You're definitely going to have to post some impressions in the woody thread too. If you're putting the Magnums in those I'll be interested to know how they compare and contrast with Stefan's Cocobolo Magnums. On another note Martins blog always makes me want to drool.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #262 of 4,994
I love how Marty's shells are almost all unique, it makes them a bit more special and personalized.  I don't know how much head time my woodied SR-60s will get once I build my magnum pair, but I still cannot imagine getting rid of them.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #263 of 4,994

Hey Nick. Got the G-cush pads today and I made some distancer from Grado plastic rings from liberated driver and I have to say that I'm very impress with the sound on the MS-Pro. I do not understand how come they sound so gound because logically adding distance between ears and the driver should just get them brighter and thin in the lower region but no. The mids are just as engaging and maybe even more on the MS-Pro, the High are just perfect no sibilance and the bass are detail, punchy and thigh. But the cream of the cream is the AMAZINNNNNNNNNNNNG
eek.gif
 S-O-U-N-D-S-T-A-G-E. The instrument separation get even better with all that space. I'm listening to Dave Matthews -Some Devil album and it's just very very good. Just wanted to share this new discovery for me.  Cheer 
biggrin.gif

*Update* The are now MS-Ultimate as per Nickchen mod.
Quote:
Quote:

I tried the G cush with the MS Pro. It was a no no.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #264 of 4,994
Very nice and unique Wayne. Martin always come with a new design. Looking forward to see them finish and assembled with the magnum. 

Quote:

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #265 of 4,994

Quote:
Those things are awesome looking Wayne. You're definitely going to have to post some impressions in the woody thread too. If you're putting the Magnums in those I'll be interested to know how they compare and contrast with Stefan's Cocobolo Magnums. On another note Martins blog always makes me want to drool.

Thanks & will do.  As you can see, there are not any gimbal holes nor wire holes in them, yet.  Too many thoughts are up in the air to decide on that before he shipped them.  I working through some thoughts on unique stain (slight stain) color that will be a contrast to the regular Mahogany cups that have been clear coated and also a contrast to those from Grado in the same wood.  

More updates will follow.  Though it seems like the work never ends, I'm able to carve out a nice slice of my time to enjoy the music and what some fine headphones are all about ... paired up with some of my favorite artists that make beautiful music.  To me, that's how I can recharge my batteries.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #266 of 4,994

Quote:
Hey Nick. Got the G-cush pads today and I made some distancer from Grado plastic rings from liberated driver and I have to say that I'm very impress with the sound on the MS-Pro. I do not understand how come they sound so gound because logically adding distance between ears and the driver should just get them brighter and thin in the lower region but no. The mids are just as engaging and maybe even more on the MS-Pro, the High are just perfect no sibilance and the bass are detail, punchy and thigh. But the cream of the cream is the AMAZINNNNNNNNNNNNG
eek.gif
 S-O-U-N-D-S-T-A-G-E. The instrument separation get even better with all that space. I'm listening to Dave Matthews -Some Devil album and it's just very very good. Just wanted to share this new discovery for me.  Cheer 
biggrin.gif

*Update* The are now MS-Ultimate as per Nickchen mod.

If I hadn't got hold of the Magnums, I would also have tried the MS Ultimate mod, since I was really impressed by the sound of my MS1000's. Now that I am waiting for V4 Magnums I am looking forward to finding out how 'Magnum Ultimates' will sound.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #267 of 4,994

Yes I will be trying the salad bowl & distancers on the Magnum too. I'm very impress by the result and a bit surprise that it's not being talked about more. Maybe the funny look??
Quote:

If I hadn't got hold of the Magnums, I would also have tried the MS Ultimate mod, since I was really impressed by the sound of my MS1000's. Now that I am waiting for V4 Magnums I am looking forward to finding out how 'Magnum Ultimates' will sound.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #268 of 4,994

Quote:
Yes I will be trying the salad bowl & distancers on the Magnum too. I'm very impress by the result and a bit surprise that it's not being talked about more. Maybe the funny look??

Cool that you will be able to compare the MS Ultimates to Magnum Ultimates.
Nickchen  argues that the depth of the cup does not affect the sound, so I have made very low profile olive cups I am planning to use on my Magnum Ultimates.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #270 of 4,994
After reading all those posts about magnum, I'm thinking of emailing Rhydon to buy a driver and ask marty to assemble it up! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back