Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #316 of 4,994

Quote:
I like the last option the best, actually, because I like the bass response the Jaben cups are giving, which if I'm correct would give a better lower end than the original grado cup dimensions.  And now I feel stupid for buying the cups alone because they're just sitting there along with the jumbo pads doing nothing... :p

It's not the Jaben cups that are responsible for the bass response. It is adding the MS1000 concept of a distancer in combination with the G-cushions that does the trick! IMHO the depth of the cups and their weight are comparably unimportant.

Quote:
I have just received my Magnum drivers courtesy of Wayne, and installed them almost right away with hot glue. All I can say is. Wow.

It's quite an experience, isn't it Night? Enjoy and let us know your impressions.

Quote:
Finally received my donor SR-60i for the Magnum v4 drivers/chamber and would be doing the asembly later tonight but I'm currently working from home so I decided to try the SR-60i. My experience with Grado started with a short session with 125 and then I was hooked and bought the SR-325i, MS2i, MS-Pro and the story goes but WOW! I put a set of bowl on them (I can stand the sound with the softy) and I'm loving it. I feel a bit sad of putting them a part but it's for a good cause
very_evil_smiley.gif
 MAGNUM Baby!

Let us know how your Magnum setup compares to the MS-Pros/MS Ultimates.
BTW, found the pic with your girlie just so sweet. I have made custom woodies for both of my daughters. Now they are listening to their favourite tunes, one goes for Indie, the other one is a Metal girl, through Gradessandro woodies. Now that is doing your kids something good, isn't it. I love it when I look at them with the funny wooden antennae on their heads and losing themselves in the music.

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #318 of 4,994

Quote:
Don't know if I am imagining things. But I  notice that the V4's have a somewhat deeper soundstage than any Grado I have ever heard. As if the listener moves 1 or two rows away from the stage.

Not imagining things, these drivers are expansive. That is perhaps the most suitable word I could use to describe them. Perhaps it's a case of new-toy syndrome, but this is a supremely enjoyable experience.

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #321 of 4,994
All right. I have to brag out loud that I have the best sounding Grado SR-60i IN THE WORLD on my head.
L3000.gif
 For those who's been on this thread for a while knows what I'm talking about. (I could not wait until later tonight
biggrin.gif
)

Here's some low res pictures:

The Magnum chambers fit like a glove in the slip-on plastic cup of the Grado.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #323 of 4,994
Have you tried the V4 yet?  I personally ever heard the other version but I think what is perceive as further back is the result of the better instrument separation and the extra air and space in the presentation.It's less confine as the Grado house sound.  I do not find them laid back at all. I'm listening to Lateralus album from Tool and it's just rock and sound soooo goood.

Do not make your decision yet a don't be afraid to try them. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
How come no ones' posting any pics of their dis-assembly/assembly process? I'd like to see how easy/difficult it is to tear into a sr80 and swap drivers alone, or drivers/alum chambers..........I'm torn because I want to get some woody inserts, put them into stock sr80 plastic outer housings, but not sure how difficult that process is........Sounds like I'd also prefer the 3.5 version.Where can a guy get those? anyone want to sell and upgrade to the v4, shoot me a pm. I for one, like the stock grado, inyourface soundstage that the 3.5v has?  sounds like the v4 is further back and bassier.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #327 of 4,994

Quote:
Finally received my donor SR-60i for the Magnum v4 drivers/chamber and would be doing the asembly later tonight but I'm currently working from home so I decided to try the SR-60i. My experience with Grado started with a short session with 125 and then I was hooked and bought the SR-325i, MS2i, MS-Pro and the story goes but WOW! I put a set of bowl on them (I can stand the sound with the softy) and I'm loving it. I feel a bit sad of putting them a part but it's for a good cause
very_evil_smiley.gif
 MAGNUM Baby!

Trust me, once you've had the experience of the Magnums, it is very, very hard to go back to something like the SR-60 or SR-80 Grados.  I have my SR-60s that I received with the bloodwood cups and holes punched in the drivers on for a bit last evening.  It was kind of a retrospective view that I experienced.  I basically let me know how far my position in the Grado scene has progressed by finally graduating up to the Magnum driver level.

I think I need to be careful with my comments on the Magnums.  Yes, they are very fine - but, I'd hate to see Rhydon raise his driver prices.
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #328 of 4,994

Quote:
How come no ones' posting any pics of their dis-assembly/assembly process? I'd like to see how easy/difficult it is to tear into a sr80 and swap drivers alone, or drivers/alum chambers..........I'm torn because I want to get some woody inserts, put them into stock sr80 plastic outer housings, but not sure how difficult that process is........Sounds like I'd also prefer the 3.5 version.Where can a guy get those? anyone want to sell and upgrade to the v4, shoot me a pm. I for one, like the stock grado, inyourface soundstage that the 3.5v has?  sounds like the v4 is further back and bassier.

The process of moving to the Magnum drivers is similar to the process of moving to woody cups.  If  you are not going with the aluminum chambers from Sympohones, then the drivers will have to be liberated.  We have this process documented in the SR60 II Mod thread.  Also, there are some soldering tips in that thread where you'll have to read up on desoldering the wires from the old drivers and solding the wires to the new drivers.

Again, lots of great information is historically there - and, well worth the time to read through it versus us having to go through those steps again in this thread.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #330 of 4,994
I know Wayne. I did actually and honestly enjoyed the Raw soundof the SR-60i this afternoon but now. They have been pack in a box minus the headband assembly and the slip-on plastic cup (For now) and listening to my Magnum V4 and I'm with you there is no way back. My head is spinning this week with all the new toy that I got. The Ultimate are also quite an experience an I think both the Magnum & Ulti will compliment each other very well. It's still early but I can see myslef selling my trusty HD-650 and maybe other headphones in very near future. The other CAN that keep me busy these days is the Fostex T50rp and I encourage the modder at heart to have a look in this thread. They are inexpensive and react very well to modding. There is a contest on Innerfidelity with three nice price to win. Who doesn't like a level of friendly competition?? 

Quote:

Trust me, once you've had the experience of the Magnums, it is very, very hard to go back to something like the SR-60 or SR-80 Grados.  I have my SR-60s that I received with the bloodwood cups and holes punched in the drivers on for a bit last evening.  It was kind of a retrospective view that I experienced.  I basically let me know how far my position in the Grado scene has progressed by finally graduating up to the Magnum driver level.

I think I need to be careful with my comments on the Magnums.  Yes, they are very fine - but, I'd hate to see Rhydon raise his driver prices.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back