Grado modders go Magnum
Aug 6, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #4,201 of 4,994
Alright, received some good impressions from fellow members at a recent Seattle meet.  Sadly, the GS2000e wasn't there for comparison.  A member asked about the impact(s) with the L-cushions.  Below are my impressions with both cushions, but for simplicity and time sake, I've reserved my impressions around three tracks (all lossless and above):
  1. "Hotel California" live by the Eagles
  2. "Brasilia" by Robert Len
  3. "Like a Stone" by Audio Slave

I've owned everything from RS1i on down, with extended listening sessions with the GS1000i.  Despite positive reviews with the "e" series, I've ignored them all together.  I only have the RS2i that's six years old and I can confidently say that the V7 magnum build trumps it across all areas explained in the proceeding sections:

G-cushions (aka salad bowls):
Hotel California - Great acoustic string decay.  Kick drums has deep impact - love it.  Positioning of the maracas has nice space and position, and even when they fade in the background, they are easily heard through out - same can be said with the vocalized fans in the audience.  Overall sound stage is very wide and airy, and if I had to identify the row where I'm sitting, it would be about 3-5 rows back from the stage.  Incredible depth is presented, especially at the guitar solos.  The ending is very three-dimensional, extends far to the back rows, and the crowd energy sounds so realistic with aplomb delivery.

Brasilia Suite - Smooth yet textured and refined best describes this experience.  The musical layers have enough space with no hint of congestion.  Bass cello is very nice with impact and texture. Wonderful sound stage in both width and depth - nothing overly stretched that could take away the natural and most musical presentation.

Like a Stone - One of the best male vocals, IMO.  And you thought the RS1 was king of toe tapping nirvana, well, this one takes it up a notch with a smoother top end that's never hot even when Cornell's voice reaches the highest registers, AND without sacrificing any energy.  The bass guitar has wonderful texture and impact.

L-cushions: (note: I listened for about 15 minutes to get acclimated; same volume level as before)
Before I pressed play, I approached this iteration surmising a much more in-your-face or being on stage experience due to the drivers being closer to my eardrums as well as shrunken stage that will yield a more intimate experience.

Hotel California - More intimate, perhaps a little too much.  On a positive note, the bass hits harder, much harder.  A little sense of space around the crowd is lost, which is a negative, IMO with live tracks in general.  Same goes with the on-stage vocals; they sounded a little too close together.  The middle and ending of the track sounded too aggressive and borderline bright (recalling the SR325).

Brasilia Suite - Sounded wonderful, but prefer the wider stage and 3-dimentionality that I got with G-cushions.  Noticed a little loss of air surrounding the instruments, but the note textures made up for it. Not bad, not bad at all.

Like a Stone - The musical layering is still there, lost a lot of width, but gained a little in depth - not too bad, but it does lose some on the 3-dimentionality.  There appears to be a perception of greater treble extension and with that, the upper registers sounds slightly harsh.  Bass lovers will love it with these pads as it makes the bass impact much more.  Volume needs to be lowered by 10 steps to move the sound down a little for the overly aggressive presentation, yet by doing so there is no lost of details.

Summary:
Including every stock Grado I've heard and owned, I find the V7  Symphone drivers with the G-cushions the most balanced and transparent, and really matches my ears.  If you desire a very refined, smooth, and balance sound, this setup is for you.  However, if you like the more in-your-face, aggressive Grado sound that I found with the SR325 on down, the L-cushions will suit your fancy.  If you like the PS500e bass, the V7 drivers has the quantity, but much tighter and less bloom (why I dislike the PS500e). 

Despite this being my first DIY Grado mod, I'm glad I went down the path as I found it very satisfying.  I'm confident that I saved a pretty coin to get the performance level I'm hearing with the V7 drivers and build.  Thanks to fleasbaby for providing the wood housing.  I highly recommend him.  The only thing I may change down the road is converting it with a removable cable.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #4,202 of 4,994
Alright, received some good impressions from fellow members at a recent Seattle meet.  Sadly, the GS2000e wasn't there for comparison.  A member asked about the impact(s) with the L-cushions.  Below are my impressions with both cushions, but for simplicity and time sake, I've reserved my impressions around three tracks (all lossless and above):
  • "Hotel California" live by the Eagles
  • "Brasilia" by Robert Len
  • "Like a Stone" by Audio Slave

I've owned everything from RS1i on down, with extended listening sessions with the GS1000i.  Despite positive reviews with the "e" series, I've ignored them all together.  I only have the RS2i that's six years old and I can confidently say that the V7 magnum build trumps it across all areas explained in the proceeding sections:

Hotel California - Great acoustic string decay.  Kick drums has deep impact - love it.  Positioning of the maracas has nice space and position, and even when they fade in the background, they are easily heard through out - same can be said with the vocalized fans in the audience.  Overall sound stage is very wide and airy, and if I had to identify the row where I'm sitting, it would be about 3-5 rows back from the stage.  Incredible depth is presented, especially at the guitar solos.  The ending is very three-dimensional, extends far to the back rows, and the crowd energy sounds so realistic with aplomb delivery.

Brasilia Suite - Smooth yet textured and refined best describes this experience.  The musical layers have enough space with no hint of congestion.  Bass cello is very nice with impact and texture. Wonderful sound stage in both width and depth - nothing overly stretched that could take away the natural and most musical presentation.

Like a Stone - One of the best male vocals, IMO.  And you thought the RS1 was king of toe tapping nirvana, well, this one takes it up a notch with a smoother top end that's never hot even when Cornell's voice reaches the highest registers, AND without sacrificing any energy.  The bass guitar has wonderful texture and impact.

L-cushions: (note: I listened for about 15 minutes to get acclimated; same volume level as before)
Before I pressed play, I approached this iteration surmising a much more in-your-face or being on stage experience due to the drivers being closer to my eardrums as well as shrunken stage that will yield a more intimate experience.

Hotel California - More intimate, perhaps a little too much.  On a positive note, the bass hits harder, much harder.  A little sense of space around the crowd is lost, which is a negative, IMO with live tracks in general.  Same goes with the on-stage vocals; they sounded a little too close together.  The middle and ending of the track sounded too aggressive and borderline bright (recalling the SR325).

Brasilia Suite - Sounded wonderful, but prefer the wider stage and 3-dimentionality that I got with G-cushions.  Noticed a little loss of air surrounding the instruments, but the note textures made up for it. Not bad, not bad at all.

Like a Stone - The musical layering is still there, lost a lot of width, but gained a little in depth - not too bad, but it does lose some on the 3-dimentionality.  There appears to be a perception of greater treble extension and with that, the upper registers sounds slightly harsh.  Bass lovers will love it with these pads as it makes the bass impact much more.  Volume needs to be lowered by 10 steps to move the sound down a little for the overly aggressive presentation, yet by doing so there is no lost of details.

Summary:
Including every stock Grado I've heard and owned, I find the V7  Symphone drivers with the G-cushions the most balanced and transparent, and really matches my ears.  If you desire a very refined, smooth, and balance sound, this setup is for you.  However, if you like the more in-your-face, aggressive Grado sound that I found with the SR325 on down, the L-cushions will suit your fancy.  If you like the PS500e bass, the V7 drivers has the quantity, but much tighter and less bloom (why I dislike the PS500e). 

Despite this being my first DIY Grado mod, I'm glad I went down the path as I found it very satisfying.  I'm confident that I saved a pretty coin to get the performance level I'm hearing with the V7 drivers and build.  Thanks to fleasbaby for providing the wood housing.  I highly recommend him.  The only thing I may change down the road is converting it with a removable cable.

This was a fun and unique project to help you with. Thanks for the opportunity to participate! :)

Aug 6, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #4,205 of 4,994
This was a fun and unique project to help you with. Thanks for the opportunity to participate!
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed it was.  I don't have a lot of experience with the other drivers and versions mentioned on this thread to give the V7 a more in-depth comparison.  I look forward to your impressions next week in both sound and build. 
beerchug.gif

beyersmile.png

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #4,206 of 4,994
@alpha421: thanks for taking the time to listen with the L cush pads

I've read similar reviews/ comparisons between L & G cushions & without actually having listened to the G cush myself, think I have found a way to improve the problems many have with bass impact & soundstage. Others have used something under the cushion or pushed the driver back into the chamber. I found some packaging foam & cut a shape that will fit behind the ear & stay in place while wearing the cans. It gives a little more soundstage & takes some of the punch out of the bass. The idea was to distance the driver from the ears while not extending or shortening the dimensions of the driver chamber– also, it returns the ears to close to their normal shape & relieves some of that discomfort Grados are known for (extending listening time).

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #4,207 of 4,994
  • "Hotel California" live by the Eagles
  • "Brasilia" by Robert Len
  • "Like a Stone" by Audio Slave

Summary:

This was a fun and unique project to help you with. Thanks for the opportunity to participate! :)

I'm sure a lot of members would be interested in a comparison between the V7 and the ypsilon driver, l certainly would..

Aug 8, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #4,208 of 4,994
I'm sure a lot of members would be interested in a comparison between the V7 and the ypsilon driver, l certainly would..

I have pulled my Ypsilon out and swapped them for some prototype drivers from a fellow Head-Fier (very interesting stuff that I'll share when they are comfortable with me doing so), so I'll be operating from memory, but I'll give it a shot when they come in. 

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #4,210 of 4,994
So with Rhydon out of the picture who is continuing the work on magnums?  Is the whole complete custom in-shop grado upgrade thing gone?  (and now no one's making the new gimbals and all that?)

I'm still using my magnum 3.5's and didn't realize they work was continuing (I did know about the v4 models).  I have the complete upgrade done by Rhydon with all the new parts.  I'm wondering if just moving up the to v7 is a no brainer and I should do it or if I need to get another set up headphones, update those and see how I like them.

Has the sound signature changed a lot thru the newer versions?  I really like the ones I have now.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #4,211 of 4,994
  So with Rhydon out of the picture who is continuing the work on magnums?  Is the whole complete custom in-shop grado upgrade thing gone?  (and now no one's making the new gimbals and all that?)

I'm still using my magnum 3.5's and didn't realize they work was continuing (I did know about the v4 models).  I have the complete upgrade done by Rhydon with all the new parts.  I'm wondering if just moving up the to v7 is a no brainer and I should do it or if I need to get another set up headphones, update those and see how I like them.

Has the sound signature changed a lot thru the newer versions?  I really like the ones I have now.

what do you mean with Rhydon out of the picture?

He still designs and makes the Magnum drivers and 3-d printed cups AFAIK ,did you by chance mean Martin (Custom Audio) ?
or has something happened very recently I'm unaware of?

as far as gimbals,rodblocks,cups,headbands and so forth there is always http://www.rholupat.com/  though you may have to wait awhile for certain items to come back into stock though they have a great reputation and very reasonable pricing.

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #4,212 of 4,994
I've been off head-fi for a couple years.  I looked in the original Magnum thread and there was an old post about Rhydon no longer working with these - which came up after a few people noted that they could no longer get in touch with him (and his web page went down).  so nothing new and I have no idea what I'm talking about, but from the other thread it looked like he moved on.  When I saw where the v7's were for sale, I didn't see anything about the cups listed.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #4,213 of 4,994
@tme110 Okay I see why you thought that then thanks for clearing matters up 

it seems the C6 cup's Rhydon designed aren't listed on Symphones page any longer, (I believe because they were designed with the V6 in mind) though i'd imagine they would work fine for the V7 Magnum  as well since the V6 and V7 are the same dimensions

here is a link for the C6 cups from Symphones page on Shapeways http://www.shapeways.com/product/FHXXSMGN9/c6?optionId=58384719
it appears as though you can still order a few variations of them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back