Grado modders go Magnum
Jul 6, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #4,171 of 4,994
Wich amplifier use with v7 drivers?

Enviado do meu ALE-L21 através de Tapatalk

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #4,172 of 4,994
I'm a relative new comer to the headphone world, so no dedicated amp yet. I mainly use a Yamaha Natural Sound receiver for it's phono input and headphone jack, and run the preamp from that into a Yamaha M45 powering some JBL L80T's. I love the physical presence the JBL's add to the headphone experience and they are a really good match up, sound signature wise.

However, I understand that this isn't up to par for the headphones I've currently got. I have a pair of hp1000's and 2 pairs of sr200's with hp1000 drivers in them, that fate has been extremely generous enough to bestow on me. Plus the RS-1's and a set of DT-770's. Given what I've read about the hp1000's, I'm waiting for a Melos SHA-1 or SHA Gold to pop up within the realm of affordability to compliment those. I'm sure you guys have some opinions about going this route, please feel free to educate me if there is a better one. :wink:

Full disclosure: My interest in building these isn't necessarily about moving up the ladder sound wise, it's more about the opportunity to learn metal casting and wood working techniques to build the cups, with the prospect that the end result could rival or better the extremely good headphones I already have. I look at the results of what you guys have built with these and I'm extremely inspired to do the same. :) 

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #4,173 of 4,994
Thank you. You have a fantastic collection of headphones. Never tried melos. I remember that was a great combo, on head-fi, woth hp-1000.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #4,175 of 4,994
Because non-audiophile perspectives are good.

My wife while listening to the song Went Too Far by AURORA using my Magnums: "It's like starlight beaming directly into my ears."

I had V5 before the temporary stop of symphones. I have a beautiful memory

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #4,176 of 4,994
So, here are all the parts minus the solder and heatshrink.  This is my attempt to make a GS2000e clone with the V7 drivers and a few unique modifications.  Summary of parts from left to right.  I hope to have it completed by end of next week.

1. Turbulent Labs leather band on stock Grado band and rod blocks, but with aluminum gimbles
  2. Walnut and maple sleeves/cups by fleasbaby.  The GS2000e uses mahogany, but I'm striving for a tighter tone with walnut.
  3. Symphones V7 drivers
  4. Walnut block to be made into a Y-splitter
  5. Grado G-Cushions (aka Salad Bowls)
  6. Grado conductors x12 (yes, overkill but that's what the GS2000e has) with black parachord sleeves for 6ft cable

Jul 16, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #4,179 of 4,994
  So, here are all the parts minus the solder and heatshrink......

wow, nice!
popcorn.gif

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #4,180 of 4,994
  So, here are all the parts minus the solder and heatshrink.  This is my attempt to make a GS2000e clone with the V7 drivers and a few unique modifications.  Summary of parts from left to right.  I hope to have it completed by end of next week.

1. Turbulent Labs leather band on stock Grado band and rod blocks, but with aluminum gimbles
  2. Walnut and maple sleeves/cups by fleasbaby.  The GS2000e uses mahogany, but I'm striving for a tighter tone with walnut.
  3. Symphones V7 drivers
  4. Walnut block to be made into a Y-splitter
  5. Grado G-Cushions (aka Salad Bowls)
  6. Grado conductors x12 (yes, overkill but that's what the GS2000e has) with black parachord sleeves for 6ft cable

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on those cups. Was loathe to ship them out when they were done
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #4,181 of 4,994
Here's my completed project.  The walnut y-splitter wasn't meant to be, so I purchased and metal one and that took a while to receive; wasn't going to pay more for shipping than the price of the item, which is what took so long (thanks to delayed shipping and UPS Ground).  The 12 conductor wire isn't too bad in weight due to the 6ft length, but if I had to do it again, I would stick with 8 conductors and call it good.

For sound, I'm still trying to find the time for a good listening session and compare it to my RS2, which probably won't be for another week.

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #4,182 of 4,994
Here's my completed project.  The walnut y-splitter wasn't meant to be, so I purchased and metal one and that took a while to receive; wasn't going to pay more for shipping than the price of the item, which is what took so long (thanks to delayed shipping and UPS Ground).  The 12 conductor wire isn't too bad in weight due to the 6ft length, but if I had to do it again, I would stick with 8 conductors and call it good.

For sound, I'm still trying to find the time for a good listening session and compare it to my RS2, which probably won't be for another week.

Damn! That is a gorgeous set of headphones!

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #4,183 of 4,994

awesome...I like the detail on the shrink-wrap.

can you make an evaluation with l-cush pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back