Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 31, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #3,902 of 4,994
I love these V6 Magnums with TTVJ Flats paired with Chord Mojo.  
I recently purchased a pair beautifully made by joeq70 and I got to say, they are the best pair of Grados or Magnums to my ears. Uber refined and musical. 
But I must add and note that it is because they are sonically perfect with Flats.  And I love Grado with Flats. 

The Super Vintage RS1 came with Flats. it's what drew me to the Grado sound. Warm and engaging.
After Grado moved to Bowls, I felt Grado lost the sound I loved.
And Flats with other Grados were always a hit and a miss.  Trust me I tried almost every Grado "non i", "i" and "e" series and few of the magnums (V4, V5 aluminum and wood). 

The Hit: 
More bass
Warmer mids
More in your face mids
Tamed upper treble, sibilance and sizzle

The Miss:
Somewhat mushy or bloated midbass without definition and tightness
Congested mids
Shrill or shouty upper mids and lower treble
Upper treble roll off, loss of airiness. Sounds dull and flat

The Magnum V6 with TTVJ Flats has all the Hits and none of the Misses to my ears. It's why I feel it's perfect.
Now your V6 build might be different than joeq70's so I can't speak for all V6 magnum builds or you might have a different dac or amp but for me, my particular V6 magnums with Chord Mojo is simply perfect. I would not change anything.  The bass is ample and tight, mids smooth and warm without congestion, and treble shimmers with subtle air without edge, harshness or sibilance. 

Want to thank Rhydon and joeq70 for this treat. 
posted in grado fan and modders go magnum

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #3,904 of 4,994
  @sling5s  Glad you are enjoying them man! I believe that the V6 is the ultimate expression of the Grado-style headphone. I will certainly be back with another build in the future!

beerchug.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #3,905 of 4,994
Hi All...I got several treats in the mail over the last few days...my Shapeways cups for the V6, my next pair of V6 drivers and something else a little O/T for this thread, but I thought you might be interested in hearing about:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/793136/grado-modders-go-ypsilon-elleven-acoustica-drivers-and-builds-thread

I am just waiting patiently on some cables now to make a couple more builds. In the meantime I'll be happily listening to my SR80 pinks in African Blackwood. My cup runneth over.

Happy New Year.

DIY or Die.

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #3,906 of 4,994
Hello-
  Just another suggestion & then I'll keep my keyboard shut– there is also the option of dampening a cup from the outside. I am thinking of a thick rubber band or a molded piece of thick rubber to stretch over the cup at a critical area, like an outer ring or– from what I can gather– similar to the higher end Grado models that use an aluminum cup over a wood sleeve. This probably would not be a great idea for absorbing vibration(s), but might reduce them.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #3,907 of 4,994
  Hello-
  Just another suggestion & then I'll keep my keyboard shut– there is also the option of dampening a cup from the outside. I am thinking of a thick rubber band or a molded piece of thick rubber to stretch over the cup at a critical area, like an outer ring or– from what I can gather– similar to the higher end Grado models that use an aluminum cup over a wood sleeve. This probably would not be a great idea for absorbing vibration(s), but might reduce them.

That would be interesting. I have seen a few folks try different woods for inner sleeves and outer sleeves. Larry at Headphile uses Korina sleeves on all of his Grado woodies I believe, and only changes up the wood for the outside sleeve.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #3,908 of 4,994
@FLEAS....you sure do like your hot glue! It does have many uses and this one is probably fine too as it does serve its purpose in that it sets up semi soft......If you can ever try the same set of drivers in this cup compared to another of same wood, and with the same driver mounting method, Would be interested in your impressions...

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #3,909 of 4,994
  @FLEAS....you sure do like your hot glue! It does have many uses and this one is probably fine too as it does serve its purpose in that it sets up semi soft......If you can ever try the same set of drivers in this cup compared to another of same wood, and with the same driver mounting method, Would be interested in your impressions...

...I have anough Mahogany and Bubinga leaft to make some live twins....will see after I have finished all the fussing about with the stock V6 build and the Ypsilon builds....so many cans! Only one set of ears! My life's dilemma! Hahahahaha

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #3,910 of 4,994
new cable in black and chocolate brown coming from impact cables, a grado headband from headphile, and a "vintage brown" leather strap coming from plussound, i'm staying with the mahogany cups for the v6
going for a classic, vintage look

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #3,911 of 4,994
new cable in black and chocolate brown coming from impact cables, a grado headband from headphile, and a "vintage brown" leather strap coming from plussound, i'm staying with the mahogany cups for the v6
going for a classic, vintage look

Nice! Going to look awesome :).

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #3,913 of 4,994
Got my stock V6/C6 build together a couple of days ago. Been switching between it and the Ypsilon drivers in Black Limba/Rosewood...

So far...warmer than the Ypsilon, more forgiving (funny, I never thought of the V6 as warm before.....). As a result, a bit less detailed, but this might just be perception on my part comparing them to the Ypsilon's more neutral signature...

A few thoughts on the cups: the mesh is too fragile, and can get broken easily and having the cable feed through the mesh and that eyelet isn't actually bad at all.

For both the Ypsilon and the V6, I wish driver makers would go back to putting cloth over the driver holes. I am don't like the idea of getting dust and hair getting in there that easily...

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #3,914 of 4,994
Just a heads up, my Turbulent X drivers and wood cups are up for grabs if anyone is interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/794999/turbulent-x-cups-and-drivers-with-ear-pads-grado-style-no-headband-included

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #3,915 of 4,994
just waiting on my cables now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back