Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 28, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #3,886 of 4,994

Just purchased one from sale forum. 
biggrin.gif

So how do these compare to the Grado GH1 or Grado RS2e?

i haven't heard either of those yet
when i was thinking about selling the parts, it was to raise funds for the the rs2e or ps500

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #3,887 of 4,994
Arty, doing fine looking work. Seems every one is looking for suitable grille replacement material. If Rhydon's C6 is designed to be as sonically neutral as possible would a grill as open as the C6 not be close to ideal? Would you (speaking to Arty though open to any with a facility with CAD) be willing to edit the first cup version (1.1 I believe, that Rhydon freely released) into a piece that could be 3d printed (either from shapeways or those lucky enough, from home) & slipped into a pre-exisitng cup as a grille?  sorry about the ramble of that last sentence, sort of got away from me. Does that make sense or is this a pointless exploration? [Talking about this line of thought, not this thread, which has been really enlightening & educational]. thx

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #3,888 of 4,994
  Arty, doing fine looking work. Seems every one is looking for suitable grille replacement material. If Rhydon's C6 is designed to be as sonically neutral as possible would a grill as open as the C6 not be close to ideal? Would you (speaking to Arty though open to any with a facility with CAD) be willing to edit the first cup version (1.1 I believe, that Rhydon freely released) into a piece that could be 3d printed (either from shapeways or those lucky enough, from home) & slipped into a pre-exisitng cup as a grille?  sorry about the ramble of that last sentence, sort of got away from me. Does that make sense or is this a pointless exploration? [Talking about this line of thought, not this thread, which has been really enlightening & educational]. thx

...the thought makes perfect sense actually. When I read Rhydon's site and the thought behind going with that grill design, I started wondering if its possible to buy grill material like that. You can, but it makes more sense to 3D print it to fit.

@Arty McGhee Would it be simple enough to make just the grill, with a thin, short cylinder attached to it so it could be dropped into a pair of cups like a normal grill would be? The cup could also be made to take the grill from the outside face instead of requiring the grill be dropped in from the driver side. A little hot glue and it would stay in place nicely...

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #3,889 of 4,994

...the thought makes perfect sense actually. When I read Rhydon's site and the thought behind going with that grill design, I started wondering if its possible to buy grill material like that. You can, but it makes more sense to 3D print it to fit.

@Arty McGhee Would it be simple enough to make just the grill, with a thin, short cylinder attached to it so it could be dropped into a pair of cups like a normal grill would be? The cup could also be made to take the grill from the outside face instead of requiring the grill be dropped in from the driver side. A little hot glue and it would stay in place nicely...

Sounds like a good Idea. Even going way off Rhydon's design ...you could make some snazzy looking grills with more tuning possibilities.  

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #3,890 of 4,994

Sounds like a good Idea. Even going way off Rhydon's design ...you could make some snazzy looking grills with more tuning possibilities.  

i have thought about doing the grill separately, it wouldn't be very hard, my cad skills aren't that good but i'm learning
the filled in center was a tuning decision for the sennheiser driver, its sounding great, the real surprise is the huge soundstage i'm getting from the plastic cup, i don't want to appear to be ripping off rhydon in any way so i'm hesitant to distribute anything related to his design but as i come up with my own i will make them available, i'm waiting for a heated bed for my printrbot so i can make stuff a little look a lot cleaner , thanks for the words of encouragement i will keep you guys posted

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #3,891 of 4,994
@fleas

the material is 3/32" foamrubber (on left).....the other is 1/8" harder rubber. Either or any similar could be used at this point since we don't know it's affects but the theory is that we just want to introduce something in there to break the cup up.....whatever you have around the house that is similar would work. Use appropriate glue (gorilla) that bonds such materils of course. I've got extra if needed......

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #3,892 of 4,994
  @fleas

the material is 3/32" foamrubber (on left).....the other is 1/8" harder rubber. Either or any similar could be used at this point since we don't know it's affects but the theory is that we just want to introduce something in there to break the cup up.....whatever you have around the house that is similar would work. Use appropriate glue (gorilla) that bonds such materils of course. I've got extra if needed......

Thanks...will have a dig about at home and see what I can find...

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #3,893 of 4,994
  @fleas

this is really getting interesting, do i have this correct, you're making a slice in the wood and filling it with rubber
to make it as sonically dead as possible?

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #3,894 of 4,994
  this is really getting interesting, do i have this correct, you're making a slice in the wood and filling it with rubber
to make it as sonically dead as possible?

Not to deaden it completely, just stop it from resonating as much as it did before...

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #3,895 of 4,994
Hello-
  I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks & these new cup designs are interesting. I assume the less resonant (wood) approach should only be considered for the v6 driver? Will choice of wood matter as much, in this case?
Also- a possible contribution: What about materials designed specifically for reducing noise? I had to build a "soundproof" barrier & found several sites with products such as these: http://www.soundproofcow.com/Dampening-and-Deadening/. I chose a very dense, flexible vinyl from this site. Home Depot has a lighter version online. I'd like to see how this all works out, since I haven't decided if the v6 will be my next project.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #3,896 of 4,994
  Hello-
  I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks & these new cup designs are interesting. I assume the less resonant (wood) approach should only be considered for the v6 driver? Will choice of wood matter as much, in this case?
Also- a possible contribution: What about materials designed specifically for reducing noise? I had to build a "soundproof" barrier & found several sites with products such as these: http://www.soundproofcow.com/Dampening-and-Deadening/. I chose a very dense, flexible vinyl from this site. Home Depot has a lighter version online. I'd like to see how this all works out, since I haven't decided if the v6 will be my next project.

@matchbox Rhydon has asserted the V6 driver is designed to be as enclosure independent as possible, so wood choice shouldn't matter. We're all in the process of testing that theory as much as we can though
evil_smiley.gif
. Creating a dead strip that goes the length of the cup is a brand new idea, so no material is deemed "the best" yet. There's soon to be plenty of great fun experimenting.

@thelostMIDrange I finished up some other work today, and start getting prepped for more trials...for my dead strip I couldn't find any foam, and was worried about it ripping as I worked the cup on the lathe anyway, so I thought I would try Hot glue. Below my blanks drying out (they are resting on some Burmese Blackwood blanks I also cut this morning...that's a new wood for me, keen to try it out). Will most probably cap the ends with something harder tomorrow and then start making the cups this coming weekend/week:

I also started gluing some nice layered blanks...this is the last of my Black Limba for now, capped with Rosewood. No dead strip in these. More Black Limba coming in this week though for another project. Its a great wood to work with:

These were the cups I finished this morning. They are for a workmate who specifically said they wanted woodies for their SR125i Grados because they look "...so darn pretty..." so I obliged with a monstrously impractical but showy shape in Walnut:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back