Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 4, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #3,601 of 4,994
  what is the difference between REAN and Amphenol? as i say it will be plugged into my iBasso D-Zero MKII portable amp/dac sometimes or directly into one of my Sony Walkman DAPs otherwise and they all have 3.5mm inputs.i just wanted to be certain it was stereo so i can hear the channel separation on old Beatles albums recorded in stereo etc..

edit: i just noticed on his page for the 1/4" connectors which are what they come with usually it states edit 2: okay i think i know now, REAN in Neurtrik which is a brand and Amphenol is another brand/manufacturer .i'll get all this stuff down,still learning 
smile.gif

Canare Quad Mic cable with Amphenol black/gold 1/4" connector. Wrapped in soft nylon cable wrap. Made with Cardas solder and cable comes with the ends already tinned.

They both do the same thing, they just look different. Do a Google image search on Amphenol 3.5mm jack and another on REAN 3.5mm jack.

*edit* Just saw your edit :)

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #3,602 of 4,994

They both do the same thing, they just look different. Do a Google image search on Amphenol 3.5mm jack and another on REAN 3.5mm jack.

*edit* Just saw your edit :)

As always, thanks very much for your help.this is why i love this site. i can google most of my questions ,but i feel more confident hearing from someone who has hands on experience.
beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #3,603 of 4,994
I've spent a lot of time this morning going back through all of my pads, hoping to find the One True Pad. I've enjoyed my Sunflower Pad quite a bit this last week or so, but volume creep has been setting in as I try to get that tactile bass response in a larger array of genres. I'm off work today, so I may put together some comprehensive findings in a bit.

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #3,604 of 4,994
apologize if any of ya'll have seen my post in related theads.

i just ordered the chord mojo rather impulsively.. getting ridiculously glowing reviews.
this after placing an order for the aune x1s maybe a week ago. returning that sharpish. it is supposed to arrive tomorrow lol.

i'll be pairing these with modded grados:
new symphones magnum v6s and hopefully the 3d cup models specifically intended for the v6 as well.

this coming from a person whose only ever owned (for the past five years)
ath-ad700s
and
hotusb1

the unanimity of the reviews just had me by the scruff of the neck.

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #3,605 of 4,994
it just occurred to me i have no idea of the impedance of the Magnum V6 drivers,does anyone know?
edit - okay just realized 'why not check http://symphones.com/ (facepalm) 
redface.gif
and they are 32Ω .

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #3,606 of 4,994
Post 3452 http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum/3452 updated with summary of information from latest posts.

Ordered two sets of Alessandro MS1's for headband gimbal assembly.  There was only $20 difference in cost compared to SR60, and I wanted to check the MS1 out since reviews seem to match my listening preferences.  Whatever MS1 drivers I don't use I will make available to HeadFi member who makes suitable donation to The Mission Continues https://www.missioncontinues.org/ or Team Rubicon http://www.teamrubiconusa.org/ to assist veterans.

Ordered second set of Magnum V6 Drivers.

Also ordered Cocobolo cups from Yew Woodworks. Symphones-designed 3D cups to be ordered via shapeways.com upon release of 3d drawing. This will allow to directly compare V6 in wood cup vs. the 3d cup optimized by Rhydon for the driver.

Ordered Grado L-Cush pad, since V6 drivers were designed to be used with these pads.   

Still considering whether to order cables or build my own as time allows. 

Should be interesting.
darthsmile.gif

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #3,607 of 4,994
 Whatever MS1 drivers I don't use I will make available to HeadFi member who makes suitable donation to The Mission Continues or Team Rubicon organizations to assist veterans.

wow
thats really nice of you, my buddy's a wounded warrior
i'll make a donation

and make your own cables, you'll be glad you did

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #3,609 of 4,994
So, I have been finalizing my V6 build, and below you will find measurements. It certainly can't get any better for me.

I have tried the usual approach, having them in an open cup with (aftermarket) L- cush. For me, unmodded there is too much of a U-shape, although the mids and highs are really great and the driver is extremely resolving. But I have been moving into the direction of a more neutral response, and this is the reason why I am having these with modded (p)leather pads and internal damping. And, I am really happy with these.

Frequency response of modded V6 in damped wood cups and modded pleather pads:

CSD:

V6 compared to Sennheiser HD600 on my measurement rig:

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #3,610 of 4,994
  So, I have been finalizing my V6 build, and below you will find measurements. It certainly can't get any better for me.

I have tried the usual approach, having them in an open cup with (aftermarket) L- cush. For me, unmodded there is too much of a U-shape, although the mids and highs are really great and the driver is extremely resolving. But I have been moving into the direction of a more neutral response, and this is the reason why I am having these with modded (p)leather pads and internal damping. And, I am really happy with these.

Wow, thats impressive, very impressive.  Especially since I decided to build V6 Magnums instead of buying an HD600. Can you provide more detail on:
1) your modded (p)leather pads, and
2) what you did to internally damp the cups?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3,611 of 4,994
  Wow, thats impressive, very impressive.  Especially since I decided to build V6 Magnums instead of buying an HD600. Can you provide more detail on:
1) your modded (p)leather pads, and
2) what you did to internally damp the cups?

Thanks

I am using (p)leather pads (which come with MiHeadphones by Xiaomi) glued on a foam ring cut off a used L-cush:

Using pleather pads instead of leaky Grado ones I have to use internal damping to balance out the FR. Below you will find a pic with the damping materials I am using. I start with the coffee filter paper on the left as the first layer behind the driver and then work myself outward by applying layer after layer to the right.
Coffee filter paper, felt (~ 2mm thick), cotton, foam (~5mm thick, working as a spring that presses the damping against the driver), felt disk (~4mm thick), plastic mesh (this is flexible, so I can put it in, listen, measure, take it out again, change the damping .....)

This is how you start:

The pad consists of a Grado L-cush, with the top centimeter or so cut off, leaving a foam ring. This is glued on a felt pad, which is then mounted on the pleather pad:

You will eventually have to bring down the region between 5 and 10 kHz a bit, and what I am using is this: A disk of less air-permeable cloth (~1cm diameter) is fixed on a thin felt piece. This thing will be placed directly in front of the driver and the cloth disk will just cover the driver dome, resulting in the desired treble reduction.

Finally, I put the felt/cloth disk into the Grado/pleather hybrid pad and mount the pad on the cup:

That's about all.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #3,612 of 4,994

I am using (p)leather pads (which come with MiHeadphones by Xiaomi) glued on a foam ring cut off a used L-cush:

Using pleather pads instead of leaky Grado ones I have to use internal damping to balance out the FR. Below you will find a pic with the damping materials I am using. I start with the coffee filter paper on the left as the first layer behind the driver and then work myself outward by applying layer after layer to the right.
Coffee filter paper, felt (~ 2mm thick), cotton, foam (~5mm thick, working as a spring that presses the damping against the driver), felt disk (~4mm thick), plastic mesh (this is flexible, so I can put it in, listen, measure, take it out again, change the damping .....)

This is how you start:

The pad consists of a Grado L-cush, with the top centimeter or so cut off, leaving a foam ring. This is glued on a felt pad, which is then mounted on the pleather pad:

You will eventually have to bring down the region between 5 and 10 kHz a bit, and what I am using is this: A disk of less air-permeable cloth (~1cm diameter) is fixed on a thin felt piece. This thing will be placed directly in front of the driver and the cloth disk will just cover the driver dome, resulting in the desired treble reduction.

Finally, I put the felt/cloth disk into the Grado/pleather hybrid pad and mount the pad on the cup:

That's about all.

Great work! Thanks!

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #3,613 of 4,994

This is how you start:

That's about all.

Do you think these would work?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OM21W1I/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1446835287&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=grado+pads&dpPl=1&dpID=41HjeeidOfL&ref=plSrch

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #3,614 of 4,994

This is how you start:

That's about all.

Brilliant work, as always...the section in red I am particularly fascinated by...so this acts as a treble-reducer? (Sorry, I might be misunderstanding, I am not to familiar with frequency responses.)

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #3,615 of 4,994
Do you think these would work?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OM21W1I/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1446835287&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=grado+pads&dpPl=1&dpID=41HjeeidOfL&ref=plSrch

Honestly, I do not know. I would be sceptical though. Mine absolutely needed the foam ring below the pleather in order to get the bass boost under control. The foam ring has the effect that it ensures a slight leak, which is necessary to ensure bass extension as linear as possible.

I have found that pads and pad modding have an absolutely dramatic effect on the sound. I have tried HM5 pleathers (non-angled, rather soft through heavy use), and they have a similar effect to the ones I am currently using. But then you have to adjust the damping. And without measurement rig to assist you in the process, it would be really difficult to get right.

Tried alpha pads, HM5 velours, Beyer Dt250 velours, Hifiman Focus pads, He500 velours and several noname ones I had lying around. None of these did the job as well as the Xiaomi ones. They all had more issues, some boosted the mid bass too much, some had pronounced peaks, some were too trebly, some were just unbalanced. So, there is no easy answer, I am afraid.

Brilliant work, as always...the section in red I am particularly fascinated by...so this acts as a treble-reducer? (Sorry, I might be misunderstanding, I am not to familiar with frequency responses.)

Yes. These bring down the treble, beginning at about 5khz,  10kHz is brought down about 4-5db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back