Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 2, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #3,571 of 4,994
good news for those waiting on the v6 cups from symphones:

hello,

i'm planning on purchasing a set of v6 driver.
i'd also heard that ya'll are planning on releasing a model of cups intended specifically for these drivers that i could get 3d printed somewhere.

do ya'll have a timetable on when you will be making that model available?

rhydon's response as of this morning:

We’re working on it. Probably late this week/early next. 

my final piece to the puzzle!
just a matter of finding a place to do the soldering/assemble it all together.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #3,572 of 4,994
Hi y'all,

I've been 'lurking' for a while, but this is my first post.

I went straight from a pair of SR60's into a custom build: a pair of Turbulent X drivers in a pair of Vibro Classic cups with a decent 8-core copper cable and L-cush pads. They've had a decent run-in, but not hundreds of hours. Unfortunately, whilst they do some things better than the SR60's, it isn't all great: they're sibilant and very light at the low end. It's worse than a lack of bass - the lack of bottom end robs them of all their depth. I'm listening to them using a Marantz HD-DAC1, but the their negative qualities were even more pronounced when using my other DAC, an Audiolab Q-DAC. They're not exactly "worse" than the SR60's, but the entry-level Grados definitely sound weightier and are not sibilant.

The only thing I can think of is my hasty build: the drivers are hot-glued into the cups, rather than holding out for some double-sided tape as per Vibro's builds. Consequently there's no seal between the inside and outside of the cups, air can move around the drivers.

I'm thinking of cutting my losses and buying a better off-the-peg set of cans. Before I do this, does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or clues?

Alistair

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #3,573 of 4,994
  Hi y'all,

I went straight from a pair of SR60's into a custom build: a pair of Turbulent X drivers in a pair of Vibro Classic cups with a decent 8-core copper cable and L-cush pads. They've had a decent run-in, but not hundreds of hours. Unfortunately, whilst they do some things better than the SR60's, it isn't all great: they're sibilant and very light at the low end. It's worse than a lack of bass - the lack of bottom end robs them of all their depth. I'm listening to them using a Marantz HD-DAC1, but the their negative qualities were even more pronounced when using my other DAC, an Audiolab Q-DAC. They're not exactly "worse" than the SR60's, but the entry-level Grados definitely sound weightier and are not sibilant.

The only thing I can think of is my hasty build: the drivers are hot-glued into the cups, rather than holding out for some double-sided tape as per Vibro's builds. Consequently there's no seal between the inside and outside of the cups, air can move around the drivers.

I'm thinking of cutting my losses and buying a better off-the-peg set of cans. Before I do this, does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or clues?

Alistair

The Turbulent X were a lot better than you seem to be experiencing with them. With the hot glue, are you able to maneuver them out without destroying the cups? I have a bunch of the foam tape and with be happy to ship you some.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #3,576 of 4,994
  Hi y'all,

Alistair

Your experience with the Magnum X is very different than mine. My pair was housed in aluminum chambers and was extremely detailed with nice, tight bass. There was definitely no sibilance and the SR-60 by comparison sounded grainy and severely lacking in detail. By comparison, the V6 is warmer and fuller sounding (perhaps more to your liking).

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #3,577 of 4,994
  Your experience with the Magnum X is very different than mine. My pair was housed in aluminum chambers and was extremely detailed with nice, tight bass. There was definitely no sibilance and the SR-60 by comparison sounded grainy and severely lacking in detail. By comparison, the V6 is warmer and fuller sounding (perhaps more to your liking).

... it certainly isn't what I had in mind!
What chambers were you using?

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #3,578 of 4,994

... it certainly isn't what I had in mind!
What chambers were you using?

They were housed in black anodized aluminum chambers that Rhydon supplied for a limited time. I sold those headphones a few months ago because I needed the money. I recently tried to buy them back from the buyer but...no luck. I def regret selling them! The V6 is improved over the X in some important ways, though. The V6 has more bass and is smoother or "sweeter" sounding if you will. My V6s are housed in Chakte Viga chambers made by Vibro Labs. By the way, I find that my enjoyment of the Magnum X depended a lot on the DAC and amp I was using. I would not recommend them out of a cell phone, for example. 

Edit: One more thing--the SR60 uses flat comfy pads, the Magnum X is made to be used with L-Cush pads. Make sure you use L-Cush--that was my preferred pad for the X.

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #3,579 of 4,994
  Hi y'all,

Alistair

Did you check your soldering...positive ...negative. I once had a problem like yours and one of the driver wired up wrong. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,580 of 4,994
  They were housed in black anodized aluminum chambers that Rhydon supplied for a limited time. I sold those headphones a few months ago because I needed the money. I recently tried to buy them back from the buyer but...no luck. I def regret selling them! The V6 is improved over the X in some important ways, though. The V6 has more bass and is smoother or "sweeter" sounding if you will. My V6s are housed in Chakte Viga chambers made by Vibro Labs. By the way, I find that my enjoyment of the Magnum X depended a lot on the DAC and amp I was using. I would not recommend them out of a cell phone, for example. 

Edit: One more thing--the SR60 uses flat comfy pads, the Magnum X is made to be used with L-Cush pads. Make sure you use L-Cush--that was my preferred pad for the X.

can't wait to compare my stuff to yours joe.
same headphone mod, same driver.. but variation in the cups and dac/amp (aune x1s)
i'd bite on the chakte viga pads if they weren't sold out. they are absolutely beautiful.

but, i'm going to try my luck with symphones cups specifically designed for the magnum v6 when the model releases hopefully this week.

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #3,581 of 4,994
can't wait to compare my stuff to yours joe.
same headphone mod, same driver.. but variation in the cups and dac/amp (aune x1s)
i'd bite on the chakte viga pads if they weren't sold out. they are absolutely beautiful.

but, i'm going to try my luck with symphones cups specifically designed for the magnum v6 when the model releases hopefully this week.

Yeah definitely! I'll also be doing 3d printed cups because curiosity :)

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #3,582 of 4,994
Yeah definitely! I'll also be doing 3d printed cups because curiosity
smily_headphones1.gif

+1 i wonder if someone like shapeways can print the cups in different mediums (i.e. aluminum,acrylic,wood) or is it just limited to some sort of plastic? because it would be awesome to have head fi members sharing designs and seeing one you liked (or even designing your own) and being able to print it in any material you want.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #3,583 of 4,994
+1 i wonder if someone like shapeways can print the cups in different mediums (i.e. aluminum,acrylic,wood) or is it just limited to some sort of plastic? because it would be awesome to have head fi members sharing designs and seeing one you liked (or even designing your own) and being able to print it in any material you want.

I am pretty sure Shapeways will be able to make the cups in any of their materials they stock (unless the design has some sort of complicated element that can only be done using a specific material). I thought it would be nice to try them in aluminium or stainless steel...might not be practical though.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #3,584 of 4,994
shapeways.com lists these materials:

Plastics
  1. Strong & Flexible Plastic
  2. Metallic Plastic
  3. Frosted Detail Plastic
  4. Acrylic Plastic
  5. Elasto Plastic

Full color
  1. Full Color Sandstone

Ceramics
  1. Porcelain Ceramics

I believe the Strong and Flexible Plastic is a nylon type material which would be very durable and likely very inert acoustically. As far as visual aesthetics, the Frosted Detail Plastic could be interesting, as does the Metallic Plastic, but not so sure about the durability.
It would be great to have something as durable and stable as say the frame of a Glock pistol.

Metals
  1. Steel
  2. Precious Plated Metal
  3. Platinum
  4. Gold
  5. Silver
  6. Brass
  7. Bronze
  8. Castable Wax

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3,585 of 4,994
Has anyone directly compared the Magnum V6 to the SR225e?  The 225 is my favorite of the Prestige SR line, but I am getting the feeling that the V6 may well be superior and the money might be better spent in that direction.

I am torn between getting a set of the SR225e for reference to the Grado sound and then later modifying them with wood cups, versus getting a second set of Magnums V6's to be able to directly compare the V6 in wood cup to a V6 in the 3D cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back