Grado modders go Magnum
Oct 30, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #3,541 of 4,994

Edited post 3452 on page 231 to summarize relevant responses as reference resource.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum/3452

good job brother, I appreciate your efforts. perhaps more of the regular peeps can chime in and see if we should just stick to this thread or open a new one, or a Magnum V6 dedicated thread, I feel these drivers are certainly worthy!

That's a good idea..  Maybe someone could send one off to tyll to get measured.

If someone does make a dedicated thread for the Magnum V6.....please don't make it an appreciation thread. In appreciation threads you never feel you can make a criticism.  

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #3,542 of 4,994
  I'm not using aluminium cups, I'm using cups I made myself that will hold a SR60i quite snugly. I don't like to use tape to hold the driver in place, I like it to friction fit without the need for for adhesives or anything else to hold the driver in place, I pushed the Magnums into the cups and they're holding firmly in place. 

Thank you for your feedback,everyone here on the forum has been really helpful. those cups you designed are incredible. i'll be going with wood cups as well,I considered ordering the Jaben aluminum cups http://jaben.net/shopping2/Alu-Mod.html as they look great but the way they are designed the driver sits too far back in the chamber and i want my driver flush not recessed.

I especially love the wooden cups that Turbulent Labs offer http://turbulentlabs.com/vibro-cups/ but they are sold out, so i found a pair of cups i like from Yew Woodworks and the owner Clinton is willing to install the V6 drivers (a service he offers for no extra charge with the purchase of any of his cups), and that for me is a big deal because I'm just not confident enough yet with a soldering iron and don't want to ruin my V6's.

I need to find an old pair of cans to practice on though because i do want to do some of my own mods in the future (specifically a pair of Senngrados). thanks again for all your help.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #3,543 of 4,994
  l because I'm just not confident enough yet with a soldering iron and don't want to ruin my V6's.

I need to find an old pair of cans to practice on though because i do want to do some of my own mods in the future (specifically a pair of Senngrados). thanks again for all your help.

I had an old motherboard laying around that I practiced on for a week or so before I tried soldering my SR60s. I'm still am a little nervous when soldering my headphones. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #3,544 of 4,994
  That's a good idea..  Maybe someone could send one off to tyll to get measured.

If someone does make a dedicated thread for the Magnum V6.....please don't make it an appreciation thread. In appreciation threads you never feel you can make a criticism.  

The primary reason to start a new thread would be to make the current information on the subject more focused and easy to find, however it could also slow or end the constructive discussion (and legacy) here on this thread.  wormdriver suggested that the OP might put a reference in the first post to the summary for those who don't have time to digest the whole thread, and/or for a quick reference.  I can update the summary as I have time, and even if I couldn't continue at some point the information could be picked up by someone else and summarized periodically. Whatever is best for the thread and community is fine as far as I am concerned. I'm just having fun learning.

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #3,545 of 4,994
hey all,

another newb.
my current setup dates back five or six years: a $50 dac/amp and ath-ad700.
long story short, i'm planning on pairing some grados with an aune x1s. just ordered the dac/amp yesterday.

it had been my intention to pair the x1s with some a 325e.
but the more and more i read into all of this stuff, i'm considering a different possibility. i'm seeking some clarification

if the modding that goes on in grado headphones entails replacing the driver (v6), cups and pads amongst other components,
does that mean that modding a more expensive headphone like the 325e would be a bit of a waste?
shouldn't i be investing in the 60e or 80e, a less expensive base, if i plan on delving into modding?

also, is modding apt/simple enough for someone with no experience at all with this sort of stuff?

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #3,546 of 4,994
  hey all,

another newb.
my current setup dates back five or six years: a $50 dac/amp and ath-ad700.
long story short, i'm planning on pairing some grados with an aune x1s. just ordered the dac/amp yesterday.

it had been my intention to pair the x1s with some a 325e.
but the more and more i read into all of this stuff, i'm considering a different possibility. i'm seeking some clarification

if the modding that goes on in grado headphones entails replacing the driver (v6), cups and pads amongst other components,
does that mean that modding a more expensive headphone like the 325e would be a bit of a waste?
shouldn't i be investing in the 60e or 80e, a less expensive base, if i plan on delving into modding?

also, is modding apt/simple enough for someone with no experience at all with this sort of stuff?

IMO you should put yourself together a Magnum V6. You can find all the information you need right here.

Look through Synesis thread here and if there's any info lacking....just ask.  

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #3,547 of 4,994
  IMO you should put yourself together a Magnum V6. You can find all the information you need right here.

Look through Synesis thread here and if there's any info lacking....just ask.  

thanks for that response 7keys,

to be redundant, i want to echo all the gratitude that has been put forth.
having reread the past ten or so pages, if i understand things correctly, my best bet is to buy me a 60e or 80e and customize my components from there. why splurge for the 325e if i won't be using the majority of its parts, yeh?

so it looks like this might be my investment, but i'd like some critiques as i still feel ever so slightly wary about diving into all of this. i'd like to pull the trigger on the v6 and 60e first, but i just want a few last bits of information first.

sr60e
__

convinced about splurging on

v6
cup (though i'm open to hearing what everyone has to say about cups. seems like this may be an expenditure i can save on. turbulent featured some less expensive cups)
pad
senn pad (i may just for the hell of it try the aforementioned sunflower mod)
__

less so regarding

cable (this one was linked as well, but again, cost cutting is predispoing me towards the stock sr60e cables)
headband - stock grado

if people could help enlighten me on how crucial some components are versus others to generating top quality sound, i'd really appreciate it. like, i'd prefer to save by putting $70 on cups versus $125... i'd like to get a sense of just how people feel about this sort of stuff. 7, you linked to piece that spoke to subjectivity around the issue. maybe i should take my cue from that story? or would ya'll suggest i wait for symphones:

Details are evolving but its looking like if you don’t have access to a 3d printer simply upload to Shapeways and they print it for about $20 each. This cup, we’re calling it the C1 (unless we come up with something better in the mean time) will be specifically designed for use with the V6 driver. It will also have a few sonic benefits that are unique to 3d printing all of which will be published once its ready. We’re all very excited about this one, will have more on this shortly.
[regarding optimal dimensions for V6] Good question, we do have optimal dimensions- they have been designed into the 3D cup “C1” which i spoke about earlier. You are welcome to extract dimensions from it, last i checked its 44.5mm diameter by 27.8mm length

hopefully one of the vendors would be willing to put this all together for me as well! i was pretty positive about it all until i realized i'd have to solder the cable onto the drivers. never done such a thing.

is it really the case that integrating all these pieces will produce a superior product than the 325e i had been planning to buy? wild, if so.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #3,548 of 4,994
  Made a pair of Magnum's for a friend of mine.
These are 0% Grado.

Those look great. Good friend. Grado lineage certainly if not direct audio genealogy. Is that headband/gimbal assembly mdr-75xx?

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #3,549 of 4,994

They seem to be the same size.

Thanks! i just found that post it was from wormsdriver post #3503 who said  "The drivers are not properly seated yet. They seem to be smaller than the Grado drivers (like the V4 Magnums). I had very little time to put them together, so I just used some scotch tape that I happened to have right in front of me at the time and used the tape to temporarily hold the drivers in place"

but i'm sure that Clinton (from Yew Woodworks) could use some sort of double sided tape or something more permanent to make them fit if they don't already. 

also wondering if the drivers would sit further back in a full sized cup than a slip on? because i noticed in post post #3508 jerrikko said "I understand I may have to use slip-ons instead of full length cups in order to keep the alu air chambers rhydon eq'd his drivers to"   - and i want the V6 drivers to sit flush with the inner cup (just as the original grado drivers do in the SR60i plastic cups) . sorry for all the noob questions. I could order a pair of slips ons and have the V6 put in the original plastic Grado cups but I would prefer the cups to be all wood since i think that they would look and sound better.

My apologies, I just compared the V6 drivers to regular Grado drivers and they are in fact the same size. I will go back and edit my post to reflect this mistake.  

The reason why I thought they were smaller was because the previous Grado drivers I had on my aluminum sleeves fit very snug and the magnums didn't. I went to check back the Grado drivers and the reason is because the Grado drivers still had glue/residue from when I liberated them from the sleeves.

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #3,550 of 4,994
  thanks for that response 7keys,

to be redundant, i want to echo all the gratitude that has been put forth.
having reread the past ten or so pages, if i understand things correctly, my best bet is to buy me a 60e or 80e and customize my components from there. why splurge for the 325e if i won't be using the majority of its parts, yeh?

so it looks like this might be my investment, but i'd like some critiques as i still feel ever so slightly wary about diving into all of this. i'd like to pull the trigger on the v6 and 60e first, but i just want a few last bits of information first.

sr60e
__

convinced about splurging on

v6
cup (though i'm open to hearing what everyone has to say about cups. seems like this may be an expenditure i can save on. turbulent featured some less expensive cups)
pad
senn pad (i may just for the hell of it try the aforementioned sunflower mod)
__

less so regarding

cable (this one was linked as well, but again, cost cutting is predispoing me towards the stock sr60e cables)
headband - stock grado

if people could help enlighten me on how crucial some components are versus others to generating top quality sound, i'd really appreciate it. like, i'd prefer to save by putting $70 on cups versus $125... i'd like to get a sense of just how people feel about this sort of stuff. 7, you linked to piece that spoke to subjectivity around the issue. maybe i should take my cue from that story? or would ya'll suggest i wait for symphones:

hopefully one of the vendors would be willing to put this all together for me as well! i was pretty positive about it all until i realized i'd have to solder the cable onto the drivers. never done such a thing.

is it really the case that integrating all these pieces will produce a superior product than the 325e i had been planning to buy? wild, if so.

A few things:​

1) You seem to have the gist of it down. The two biggest determinants as to how these will ultimately sound is the cup that you use and the pads you use (and of course the dac and amp you use). Headband and cable are moreso comfort and aesthetic choices. The cups you linked to are fine. Rhydon sent out an email to V6 buyers explaining that he was coming up with a free file for 3D printed cups that can be printed at any 3D printing provider. I don't know when this will be offered, but it would certainly become the cheapest option cup-wise.

2) I think the V6 sounds a lot better than the SR325e.

3) You should def try the sunflower pad mod. I am still using it and loving it.

Edit: I have access to an SR325e and perhaps will post a detailed comparison soon, once I can get to the store to have a listen.

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #3,551 of 4,994

A few things:​

1) You seem to have the gist of it down. The two biggest determinants as to how these will ultimately sound is the cup that you use and the pads you use (and of course the dac and amp you use). Headband and cable are moreso comfort and aesthetic choices. The cups you linked to are fine. Rhydon sent out an email to V6 buyers explaining that he was coming up with a free file for 3D printed cups that can be printed at any 3D printing provider. I don't know when this will be offered, but it would certainly become the cheapest option cup-wise.

2) I think the V6 sounds a lot better than the SR325e.

3) You should def try the sunflower pad mod. I am still using it and loving it.

Edit: I have access to an SR325e and perhaps will post a detailed comparison soon, once I can get to the store to have a listen.

thanks a lot for that joe. super helpful.
i suppose i can go ahead and pull the trigger on the 60e, driver and pads.

the cup is something i think i'll wait on. impatient as i am to get this going!
hopefully reviews of the 3D printed cups come sooner than later. then again, my impulsivity tends to overrule discipline. :) so... i may splurge on some cups. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #3,552 of 4,994

I especially love the wooden cups that Turbulent Labs offer http://turbulentlabs.com/vibro-cups/ but they are sold out, so i found a pair of cups i like from Yew Woodworks and the owner Clinton is willing to install the V6 drivers (a service he offers for no extra charge with the purchase of any of his cups), and that for me is a big deal because I'm just not confident enough yet with a soldering iron and don't want to ruin my V6's.

I managed to get some of those turbulent batch 001 cups, will be putting a v6 in them shortly. Looks like you can get in on the batch 004 now, shipping nov8

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #3,553 of 4,994

I managed to get some of those turbulent batch 001 cups, will be putting a v6 in them shortly. Looks like you can get in on the batch 004 now, shipping nov8

oh god. already.
the more and more people post links to options, i don't know that i'll be able to wait for the 3d printing option!

daaamn.. just ordered
l pads, senn414 pads, v6 drivers..
it's coming together. just the cups and sr60s now.

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #3,554 of 4,994

oh wow thanks...but would turbulent labs if i purchased their cups (and v6 driver of course) let me mail them my SR60i then would they disassemble them and then replace the SR60i cups and drivers with their cups and drivers?  not sure this is a service they offer.does anyone know? suppose i could always ask them (or learn to solder my damn self) ....
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #3,555 of 4,994
  oh wow thanks...but would turbulent labs if i purchased their cups (and v6 driver of course) let me mail them my SR60i then would they disassemble them and then replace the SR60i cups and drivers with their cups and drivers?  not sure this is a service they offer.does anyone know? suppose i could always ask them (or learn to solder my damn self) ....
confused_face(1).gif

yeah.. i'd love to know this myself as well.
between turbulent and the cup vendor, i'm unsure as to whether either would be willing to assemble the whole deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back