Grado Fan Club!
Jul 28, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #55,231 of 65,581
Thinking about ordering some deluxe pads in September for my Hemps. Mainly for improved comfort.

Also: hey guys just contacted Grado about replacing a rubber tip that goes on the metal rods and they sent me a set for free. Gotta love Grado.
Hemp and your ears will really thank you for deluxe pads: comfort & sound 😀 !!

About two months ago, I needed one gimbal screw for the PS2000e. It came loose, fell off, and (I believe) rolled into a floor vent 😳🤦🏻🤬. Within a week of an embarrassing request, I received from Grado a complete set for free. Five Stars !!!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #55,232 of 65,581
I think that the F-cushions / TTVJ Deluxe Flats are fantastic with PS500e: great detail, impact, sculpting of midrange. Bass is deep, not exaggerated, satisfying !!

Nice. I'll have to try them anyway. See what I like best. I have a new pair of flats coming.

You should try them I honestly think you would like them because of your taste in music... rock, Indie sound awesome on 325x

I really wish I had somewhere around me to demo headphones. Would be great to try them out.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #55,233 of 65,581
I think these are what I recommend to @mbwilson111 ... Maybe she can confirm as I can't remember if these are the exact ones? But the link I sent her fitted pretty well if anyone need spares...
100 Pcs Screw Thread Protectors Rubber Round Cap Cover Tube Caps Tubing Tip for Metal Chair Tips 15 mm Long (Inner Dia 3mm) https://amzn.eu/d/2QLgHU9
I ordered a set of assorted sizes instead just in case the 3mm was not quite right. 3mm was in fact perfect but I am happy that my leftovers are not all the same size. Plus these were next day delivery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08Y1TKLXJ

Apparently the SR80e that had belonged to my husband @HungryPanda was missing an end cap from the beginning because he mentioned in a post somewhere that when he took them out of the box a cup fell off into his hand.

When I put the new pads and headband covering on it, I had to replace that missing end cap...urgently!
20220728_202143-1.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #55,234 of 65,581
I really wish I had somewhere around me to demo headphones. Would be great to try them out.
Have you looked into Q Audio? They are located at 5 Brookline Street, Cambridge, MA 02139. They are a Grado (and other great / highend brands) dealer, have been in business in different locations since the early 1970s - I remember them from my college days (!).

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #55,235 of 65,581
Have you looked into Q Audio? They are located at 5 Brookline Street, Cambridge, MA 02139. They are a Grado (and other great / highend brands) dealer, have been in business in different locations since the early 1970s - I remember them from my college days (!).

I have not. Thanks for the heads up. And it looks like it's right off the Red Line. Will be pretty easy for me to get there.

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #55,236 of 65,581
Thinking about ordering some deluxe pads in September for my Hemps. Mainly for improved comfort.

Also: hey guys just contacted Grado about replacing a rubber tip that goes on the metal rods and they sent me a set for free. Gotta love Grado.
yes, they are good about that. I called a couple years ago for the same thing. John Grado answered the phone and dropped the rubber tips in the mail that very day. Good company!

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #55,237 of 65,581
yes, they are good about that. I called a couple years ago for the same thing. John Grado answered the phone and dropped the rubber tips in the mail that very day. Good company!
One of the rod blocks on my PS500 is broken. I emailed Grado asking if I could get a replacement, and they told me to super glue it. Terrible customer service. I've never had decent or even acceptable service from Grado.

P.S. I had done the super glue "fix" multiple times before. It doesn't work long term. What would work is having some repairability after some 20 years to perfect their design. NOPE. They stick with the same old plastic crap forever.

Jul 28, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #55,238 of 65,581
Jul 28, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #55,241 of 65,581
One of the rod blocks on my PS500 is broken. I emailed Grado asking if I could get a replacement, and they told me to super glue it. Terrible customer service. I've never had decent or even acceptable service from Grado.

P.S. I had done the super glue "fix" multiple times before. It doesn't work long term. What would work is having some repairability after some 20 years to perfect their design. NOPE. They stick with the same old plastic crap forever.
They're not cheap, but if you have a Grado you're particularly fond of I find it well worthwhile to get the Shipibo aluminum rodblocks. They're gorgeous, work better, and don't rely on glue so they'll last forever. For that matter you might get the metal gimbals too. I put their classic silver gimbals & rodblocks on a PS500e and they look HAWT :)
1659063800229.jpeg

PS500 wins hands down. Not sure about the PS500e, but it probably does as well.
I definitely prefer PS500e over PS500, but not so sure I prefer PS2000e over PS1000 anymore (the old PS1000 are just more fun). It's weird like that, and likely to vary from person to person. I have the Shipibo gimbals on PS1000 and PS2000e too. Just can't figure out how that 396A plugs into my Dynalo :thinking:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #55,242 of 65,581
They're not cheap, but if you have a Grado you're particularly fond of I find it well worthwhile to get the Shipibo aluminum rodblocks. They're gorgeous, work better, and don't rely on glue so they'll last forever. For that matter you might get the metal gimbals too. I put their classic silver gimbals & rodblocks on a PS500e and they look HAWT :)
1659063800229.jpeg

I definitely prefer PS500e over PS500, but not so sure I prefer PS2000e over PS1000 anymore (the old PS1000 are just more fun). It's weird like that, and likely to vary from person to person. I have the Shipibo gimbals on PS1000 and PS2000e too. Just can't figure out how that 396A plugs into my Dynalo :thinking:
What pads are best for PS500? I have all of them.

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #55,243 of 65,581
What pads are best for PS500? I have all of them.
Flat pads for 500e. TTVJ Deluxe Flats seem best, but admittedly I haven't spent much effort comparing to the regular TTVJ Flats. Did you mean 500 not-e? I still haven't decided lol. I just can't get them to sing for me like the 500e. Flats, Bowls (L), and reverse-Bowls are all OK but none stand out as a clear victor there. On the 500 non-e the bass does get a bit boomy & sloppy with flat pads, so maybe avoid those.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #55,244 of 65,581
Flat pads for 500e. TTVJ Deluxe Flats seem best, but admittedly I haven't spent much effort comparing to the regular TTVJ Flats. Did you mean 500 not-e? I still haven't decided lol. I just can't get them to sing for me like the 500e. Flats, Bowls (L), and reverse-Bowls are all OK but none stand out as a clear victor there. On the 500 non-e the bass does get a bit boomy & sloppy with flat pads, so maybe avoid those.
Ok. I just bought a used Ps500 knowing that they are not coming back, so kind of felt like a LE purchase. I like flats on GH3, actually amazing. My friend said that PS500 are a big step up from 325x, stating that I will have to sell them once I realize how good the 500 really is... is that true in your experience?

Jul 29, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #55,245 of 65,581

They do look nice I must admit and tempting but half of me likes to keep things original too, bit like classic car's ...I'm not knocking the changes in anyway they look and are excellent indeed! and god Grado need better gimbals for sure! ....hence my dilemma ....if mine broke though then definitely

Really nice though my friend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back