Grado Fan Club!
Jul 28, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #55,216 of 65,693
After pad swapping a bit with my RS1x, I can definitively say that the Grado flat pads are the best sounding on this headphone. Should have come with it instead of the l cush pads. It just sounds so much better. More detail, better sounding bass, a little less shrill on the highs. All around great.

Jul 28, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #55,217 of 65,693
After pad swapping a bit with my RS1x, I can definitively say that the Grado flat pads are the best sounding on this headphone. Should have come with it instead of the l cush pads. It just sounds so much better. More detail, better sounding bass, a little less shrill on the highs. All around great.
That’s great to hear! Probably a bit easier to drive this way as well.

Jul 28, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #55,218 of 65,693
Hey, this my second post here and I wanted to share my adventures in attempting to repair a blown RS2e driver from a pair I recently received from a pawn shop sight unseen.

First thing was checking the resistance between of the driver and unsurprisingly, it was open.

So, that means I had to remove the driver which was a pain to say the least; I even caused a 1 mm long crack in the cup which I promptly repaired with CA glue.

Once removed, it was clear that the soldering work was not up to IPC so I reflowed the solder joints hoping it was simply a cold solder joint. Unfortunately, this was not the issue but it did clear enough flux away to show that the left coil lead was broken off.

After a lot of cleaning up of the white coating over the coil wires, I exposed enough of them to melt of the enamel and attempt to solder them to some copper jumpers I previously soldered to the pads. But, as anyone who's attempted this sort of repair before knows, these wires are fragile and don't like to be worked with after they've already had years of flexing with the driver and so; after each attempt to solder the wires to my jumpers, it would still read open on the DMM and then would then promptly break off causing me to try again with the ever shorter coil wires.

In the end, it was a fun but fruitless project. I'm thinking of sending them to Grado for the full repair...the one good side did sound surprisingly good even with extensively deteriorated pads.

Here's some pictures of the attempted repair with an X-ray of the driver just for fun.

Attachments

• PXL_20220728_022252181~2.jpg
    PXL_20220728_022252181~2.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220728_110157773.jpg
    PXL_20220728_110157773.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220728_110421813.jpg
    PXL_20220728_110421813.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220728_111017579.jpg
    PXL_20220728_111017579.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 28, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #55,219 of 65,693
To be honest, I had an almost similar experience, although my recollection of volume range was somewhat wider. But at low levels, I heard a channel imbalance, turning up it went away, but quickly it became too loud. Maybe my hearing is weird. Despite the nice sound, I eventually sold the RA-1.
I came close to making an offer on the battery version that sold on eBay quite recently. Glad I didn't, although my offer would have only been $50. An AC version sold for $300(!) recently. Wow. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #55,220 of 65,693
That’s great to hear! Probably a bit easier to drive this way as well.

I did find myself turning the volume down a bit compared to where I had the amp set with the l cush pads. I still haven't tried these headphones on any source besides my desktop amp though. I really should try it with my FiiO M11 Plus DAP.

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #55,221 of 65,693
I did find myself turning the volume down a bit compared to where I had the amp set with the l cush pads. I still haven't tried these headphones on any source besides my desktop amp though. I really should try it with my FiiO M11 Plus DAP.

With the F-cushions, the drivers will be a few millimeters closer to the ears than with the G-cushions. This makes a difference! For me, F-cushion ‘10 o’clock’ volume setting ===> G-cushion ‘1 o’clock’ setting.

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #55,222 of 65,693
With the F-cushions, the drivers will be a few millimeters closer to the ears than with the G-cushions. This makes a difference! For me, F-cushion ‘10 o’clock’ volume setting ===> G-cushion ‘1 o’clock’ setting.

Yeah I can tell the difference. Plus it improves the sound drastically with this headphone specifically.

I wonder how the f pads would sound on the PS500e. Have you tried them on it @majo123?

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #55,223 of 65,693
Yeah I can tell the difference. Plus it improves the sound drastically with this headphone specifically.

I wonder how the f pads would sound on the PS500e. Have you tried them on it @majo123?

The f pads are what I use with my PS500e, really fun. The imaging (centre of the soundstage) does suffer a bit, and you lose maybe 5-10 % detail, but the upside is great bass, thick mids that really beef up power chords/overdriven guitars and overall pleasing impact.

The Geekria LL (I *think* that’s the model name, pic below of the donut style shape) are the safe choice between the F and L pads, you get those nice bass vibrations still, slightly lighter weight mids and better imaging + detail. There’s a big difference for me, even at that halfway point, between the Grado L pads (which are just too lightweight sounding for me) and the Geekria ones, so I tend to switch between the latter and the F pads depending on mood.

C5F3DA0C-F6F2-44F8-A847-E31349B2CC3C.jpeg

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #55,224 of 65,693

Personally I didn't like them as much with f pads preferred stock or equivalent, I use a copy that sit a little more from the ear, not much but opens up the sound a little more and they are a bit softer and denser which creates a better seal on my ears ....
My ears are pretty small so on ears cover my ear pretty much ....I think with on ears and grado it depends on your ear size and shape which works best ..

Put the mojo2 on with hemp plugged in one side and 325x in the other ... started with 325x ...not taken them off! Lol
What a fantastic pairing, they sound awesome on the mojo2, really great and fantastic cans.
And here is an excellent deal for all you UK headfiers.
https://petertyson.co.uk/chord-elec...dphone-amplifier-with-grado-sr325x-headphones

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #55,225 of 65,693
The f pads are what I use with my PS500e, really fun. The imaging (centre of the soundstage) does suffer a bit, and you lose maybe 5-10 % detail, but the upside is great bass, thick mids that really beef up power chords/overdriven guitars and overall pleasing impact.

The Geekria LL (I *think* that’s the model name, pic below of the donut style shape) are the safe choice between the F and L pads, you get those nice bass vibrations still, slightly lighter weight mids and better imaging + detail. There’s a big difference for me, even at that halfway point, between the Grado L pads (which are just too lightweight sounding for me) and the Geekria ones, so I tend to switch between the latter and the F pads depending on mood.

Hey thanks for that. Super helpful. I've only ever used the stock L pads on the PS500e. And it's been a while since I've used them. So I was wondering what I should try with them. Since I need to buy new pads for them anyway, I'll give those a go. Plus might also try the fenestrated sheepskin Dekoni pads that I hated on the RS1x.

Personally I didn't like them as much with f pads preferred stock or equivalent, I use a copy that sit a little more from the ear, not much but opens up the sound a little more and they are a bit softer and denser which creates a better seal on my ears ....
My ears are pretty small so on ears cover my ear pretty much ....I think with on ears and grado it depends on your ear size and shape which works best ..

Put the mojo2 on with hemp plugged in one side and 325x in the other ... started with 325x ...not taken them off! Lol
What a fantastic pairing, they sound awesome on the mojo2, really great and fantastic cans.
And here is an excellent deal for all you UK headfiers.
https://petertyson.co.uk/chord-elec...dphone-amplifier-with-grado-sr325x-headphones

Thanks. I'm gonna try a few pads with them, I think. Just to see what I like since I need new pads anyway.

The 325x sounds like such a good headphone. I want a pair.

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #55,226 of 65,693

I think that the F-cushions / TTVJ Deluxe Flats are fantastic with PS500e: great detail, impact, sculpting of midrange. Bass is deep, not exaggerated, satisfying !!

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #55,227 of 65,693
I think that the F-cushions / TTVJ Deluxe Flats are fantastic with PS500e: great detail, impact, sculpting of midrange. Bass is deep, not exaggerated, satisfying !!
Thinking about ordering some deluxe pads in September for my Hemps. Mainly for improved comfort.

Also: hey guys just contacted Grado about replacing a rubber tip that goes on the metal rods and they sent me a set for free. Gotta love Grado.

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #55,229 of 65,693
Thinking about ordering some deluxe pads in September for my Hemps. Mainly for improved comfort.

Also: hey guys just contacted Grado about replacing a rubber tip that goes on the metal rods and they sent me a set for free. Gotta love Grado.
I think these are what I recommend to @mbwilson111 ... Maybe she can confirm as I can't remember if these are the exact ones? But the link I sent her fitted pretty well if anyone need spares...
100 Pcs Screw Thread Protectors Rubber Round Cap Cover Tube Caps Tubing Tip for Metal Chair Tips 15 mm Long (Inner Dia 3mm) https://amzn.eu/d/2QLgHU9

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #55,230 of 65,693
I think these are what I recommend to @mbwilson111 ... Maybe she can confirm as I can't remember if these are the exact ones? But the link I sent her fitted pretty well if anyone need spares...
100 Pcs Screw Thread Protectors Rubber Round Cap Cover Tube Caps Tubing Tip for Metal Chair Tips 15 mm Long (Inner Dia 3mm) https://amzn.eu/d/2QLgHU9
Yeah not a major expense or anything. Pretty cool they covered shipping though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back