Grado Fan Club!
Jul 26, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #55,201 of 65,693
No discrete transistors are in the circuit.
Right, but I think the gain can be altered by changing the resistors in the circuit. (though not 100% sure)
Having said that, at least with the genuine RA-1, that is all buried under the big blob of glue!! So unfortunately modding this little guy requires overcoming a big mechanical hurdle!

Jul 26, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #55,202 of 65,693
1658802504158.png

So I have just tested it with an old DAP (FiiO X3II) line out, and now I can play with 325x all the way to 9 o'clock which is loud but not quite too loud...
Maybe the amp is fine, and the Schiit Modi MB is a little hot with its output? 🤷‍♂️
Are those electrolytic caps in the center there, hard to tell with all the glue? If so, it's possible they're starting to go bad. It seems in many retro electronics issues, it's the caps and just swapping in new will fix issues. Not sure if that's the case here, but could be.

Jul 26, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #55,203 of 65,693
You can periodically soak/clean the pads with very light dish soap / ivory / ??, towel damp / air dry ===> lengthen pad life & reduce pad scratchiness.

Yeah I've heard that before. But I just forget with ones I don't wear for a while. And it sucks having to replace them so often regardless even if you can extend their life a bit. I've had plenty of headphones longer still on their original pads with no issues.

Jul 26, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #55,204 of 65,693
Has anyone compared GH3 vs Hemp yet? And like others said, i’m still on the train waiting for GH5/6 to drop… just wish GH3 had more soundstage, but not a big one, i love their immediate and full bodied characteristic thanks to the Pine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 27, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #55,206 of 65,693
I have the HPA-1 and both battery and AC versions of the RA-1. My only beef with the RA-1’s is that it’s very difficult to enjoy low level listening with Grado’s because of the high gain. When you get down below 7 o’clock (near the very bottom) on the volume pot, mistracking leans toward the left channel and sound is just too light and insubstantial. Turn it up and it’s suddenly a bit too loud. The HPA-1 does not have this ‘problem’.
+1 Thanks for confirming this. I had the RA-1 some time ago, and it was driving me nuts, that I had to play at a higher level that I really liked.....But beautiful it is:)

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #55,207 of 65,693
OK - got my 9V batteries in, plugged to a Schiit Modi MB as DAC, and let it roll...
First impression: NO VOLUME RANGE AT ALL.
What I mean by that: the RA-1 goes from almost silent (it is never totally silent even at minimum volume) to WAY TOO LOUD very VERY fast!!!!
If minimum volume is at 7 o'clock position, then 8 o'clock is already too damn loud!!!
That is with the 325x, BTW.

RA-1 owners: am I missing something?! Did Grado build the RA-1 for MUCH harder to driver headphones?! Does not make sense to me... :confused:
To be honest, I had an almost similar experience, although my recollection of volume range was somewhat wider. But at low levels, I heard a channel imbalance, turning up it went away, but quickly it became too loud. Maybe my hearing is weird. Despite the nice sound, I eventually sold the RA-1.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #55,208 of 65,693
20220727_184008.JPG
look what turned up:relaxed:...(mojo2) had the 325x in for 5 mins and already I think this is a fantastic dac ...very pleased.

I've always wanted one of those, but they're just too expensive for me to justify.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #55,209 of 65,693
I've always wanted one of those, but they're just too expensive for me to justify.
Justify it .... honestly so far it seems brilliant and worth every penny imo ...I will give it a few days use before I make any exact judgements though but I have just put ps500e on and wow it's awesome very smooth clean and detailed, really good depth and Layering too with excellent transients ..maybe narrower staging than my cayin though but so far very impressed and it's definitely a step up from the original which I owned.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #55,210 of 65,693
Justify it .... honestly so far it seems brilliant and worth every penny imo ...I will give it a few days use before I make any exact judgements though but I have just put ps500e on and wow it's awesome very smooth clean and detailed, really good depth and Layering too with excellent transients ..maybe narrower staging than my cayin though but so far very impressed and it's definitely a step up from the original which I owned.

It looks awesome and I've heard nothing but great things. But since I already have a FiiO M11 Plus ESS DAP for portable audio, I think my next upgrade is going to be on the desktop side. I'm still rocking an old Magni 2U/Modi 2U Schiit stack. And it's great. I love it. Amazing sound for like $300. But I'd like to also be able to do balanced audio on at my desk through my PC, too.

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #55,211 of 65,693
It looks awesome and I've heard nothing but great things. But since I already have a FiiO M11 Plus ESS DAP for portable audio, I think my next upgrade is going to be on the desktop side. I'm still rocking an old Magni 2U/Modi 2U Schiit stack. And it's great. I love it. Amazing sound for like $300. But I'd like to also be able to do balanced audio on at my desk through my PC, too.
I understand. .. I haven't heard the m11 plus so can't comment , but I will say that possibly (early days) this could be one of the best things I have heard in quite some time

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #55,212 of 65,693
I am enjoying my Fiio M11 Pro 4.4mm balanced out to SR325 (2014?). An easy mod with in-line 3.5mm mono plugs/jacks. Meze cable.

I reverted to the new flat pads however. I feel that the closer the drivers are to your ear the better.
I can live with the comfort issues by adjusting them a bit every 30 mins. or so.

Attachments

• Grado SR325 DSCF3255.JPG
    Grado SR325 DSCF3255.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jul 27, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #55,213 of 65,693
To be honest, I had an almost similar experience, although my recollection of volume range was somewhat wider. But at low levels, I heard a channel imbalance, turning up it went away, but quickly it became too loud. Maybe my hearing is weird. Despite the nice sound, I eventually sold the RA-1.
See my later updates. With a different source (old FiiO X3II DAP line out) - I get a much wider volume range. Ideally, for supporting Grado's own headphones - they should have designed it with lower gain for sure!
I will keep it since I got it relatively cheap, but I need to test it with less sensitive Grados (and other headphoes) than the 325x...

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #55,214 of 65,693
I am enjoying my Fiio M11 Pro 4.4mm balanced out to SR325 (2014?). An easy mod with in-line 3.5mm mono plugs/jacks. Meze cable.

I reverted to the new flat pads however. I feel that the closer the drivers are to your ear the better.
I can live with the comfort issues by adjusting them a bit every 30 mins. or so.

I don't think I want to deal with cable modding for any of the Grados I use regularly. The Hemps and RS1x are wood cups and harder to get open while keeping them in tact. I'd rather have options. I have a few IEMs that have 4.4mm balanced cables on them. My go to now is the 7Hz Timeless. Also have a pair of Moondrop Blessing2's that have a balanced cable on them.

A desktop option to use 4.4mm balanced, XLR, and 6.35mm single like I am now would be good so I don't need to change sources or cables depending on where I listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back