Grado Fan Club!
Jul 29, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #55,246 of 65,698
PS500 wins hands down. Not sure about the PS500e, but it probably does as well.
I wouldn't necessarily say hands down, as I have said before ps500e and hemp are different animals imo, both good at what they do in different ways and think it comes down to tastes.
I do prefer my ps500e because I find them more resolving and better imaging but the hemp are more forgiving and can understand why some would prefer over ps500e as they always sound good .
I am thinking of selling my hemp though to fund some rs2x or 1x ...I have a few Grado more than I need lol so I will part with one or two eventually as I have other can's too .
This is still only a thought though as i advertised before then took them off after listening again ...they are very good and genuinely hard to part with.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #55,247 of 65,698
Grado Hemps (with Dekoni Velours) make me catch feelings.

But I digress....

So for my on the go use, I've decided I want to switch the headband on my SR60x to the old style, I find it more comfortable than the new padded headband (now that I've worked out how to bend it to fit my head).

How difficult or easy is it to switch out the headband?

Any tips or guidance anyone can share?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
I figured it out...

20220729_181250.jpg

I've ordered an Accessory House replacement headband which should arrive tomorrow. One of the reviews said give the metal a wiggle and firm pull. I noticed a gap at the bottom of the plastic on the right hand side so chose to go with that side instead of the left side. It came out easily.

Tomorrow operation "pimp my on-the-go SR60X" continues.

One day I may learn how to solder. At that point I'll shorten the wire and maybe even re-terminate to 4.4. or balanced mini-XLR female (so I can use it with Hart Audio interconnects).

Baby steps...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #55,248 of 65,698
Ok. I just bought a used Ps500 knowing that they are not coming back, so kind of felt like a LE purchase. I like flats on GH3, actually amazing. My friend said that PS500 are a big step up from 325x, stating that I will have to sell them once I realize how good the 500 really is... is that true in your experience?
Can't speak to the 325x...my experience in SR series goes back to circa early-2000s SR-225 and SR-325. That said, from what I have heard across SR, RS, GS, and PS series - I like PS series by far the best! PS series jams for me.

Historically I've tired of the other Grado series much more quickly. For example I thought RS-1 sounded amazing the first few times I heard it, but I've never been able to recapture that magic. Just heard a vintage RS-1 with replacement "e" drivers again recently - nah, not my thing. Old SR-225: blah. Old (silver) SR-325: wow those were fun for first 5 minutes, wow they also made my ears bleed! Sad times that PS series is not in active production :frowning2:

I feel like Grado got it "right" with the Mahogony / Aluminum hybrid cups of PS-series. I'm not convinced the Maple / Al cups of PS2000e are the right direction.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #55,249 of 65,698
Grado Hemps (with Dekoni Velours) make me catch feelings.

But I digress....

So for my on the go use, I've decided I want to switch the headband on my SR60x to the old style, I find it more comfortable than the new padded headband (now that I've worked out how to bend it to fit my head).

How difficult or easy is it to switch out the headband?

Any tips or guidance anyone can share?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. The Dekoni Velour pads have stayed on my Hemps since I got them. They sound fantastic and improve comfort significantly.

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #55,250 of 65,698
Got my new Grado replacement pads in. A pair of l cush and f cush pads. Put the f pads on my PS500e. Going to compare the 500e to the RS1x when they both have flats on after the baseball game tonight. Excited to give it a go.

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #55,251 of 65,698
Flat pads for 500e. TTVJ Deluxe Flats seem best, but admittedly I haven't spent much effort comparing to the regular TTVJ Flats. Did you mean 500 not-e? I still haven't decided lol. I just can't get them to sing for me like the 500e. Flats, Bowls (L), and reverse-Bowls are all OK but none stand out as a clear victor there. On the 500 non-e the bass does get a bit boomy & sloppy with flat pads, so maybe avoid those.

Flats are wonderful on 500e and RS1x. That being said, the G are also quite nice and good change of pace when seeking larger stage.

Jul 29, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #55,252 of 65,698
Got my new Grado replacement pads in. A pair of l cush and f cush pads. Put the f pads on my PS500e. Going to compare the 500e to the RS1x when they both have flats on after the baseball game tonight. Excited to give it a go.
You put nine innings ahead of Grado comparions?! 😳😤. What kind of ‘GFCer’ are you 😮? You could get sent to the dugout with an eight-track tape machine with only Captain & Tenille material…😏😈

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #55,253 of 65,698
You put nine innings ahead of Grado comparions?! 😳😤. What kind of ‘GFCer’ are you 😮? You could get sent to the dugout with an eight-track tape machine with only Captain & Tenille material…😏😈
But I thought, "Love will keep 🎶 us together ❤ 🎶 🎵 🪕 🎼 "

Jul 29, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #55,254 of 65,698
But I thought, "Love will keep 🎶 us together ❤ 🎶 🎵 🪕 🎼 "
Not even 325x, GS3000e, PS500e etc can make that piece of saccharine schlock musically coherent and exciting!!…

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #55,255 of 65,698
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #55,256 of 65,698
Oh well…

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #55,257 of 65,698
Flats are wonderful on 500e and RS1x. That being said, the G are also quite nice and good change of pace when seeking larger stage.

I wasn't really a fan of the G pads on the RS1x. Tried them out and I think I like both the L and F pads better.

Yes. Baseball is life. I watch almost every single Red Sox game (162 per season). Baseball and music are what I spend most of my time on regularly.

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #55,258 of 65,698
So I compared the PS500e to the RS1x - both with f pads. The RS1x is definitely a better headphone. The highs are more present. Detail is better. The PS500e has more bass and is darker, but its bass is muddier.

That said, I'm happy to be trying the PS500e again for the first time in a while. Gonna give them a go with more music and see if I can find a use case for them as my go to for specific kinds of music.

Jul 30, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #55,259 of 65,698
I must admit I was captivated during the last month with the new Raal system. It was the only one which had something to give besides my Grados. At a much-much higher price!

Nevertheless I bought last week the RS-1x because I needed a smaller can than my GS3000e and my Hemp is terminated with a 6.3mm. So, essentially for the holidays, travels to go along with my fiio q5s.

I agree it needs the F pads...much more confortable as the stock L (and I always used the factory pad before). It really balances out the sound. Very smooth, probably the smoothest Grado I have, still punchy, nuanced...really like it! It is not as resolute and boundless as the Raal but I could totally live with it. It needed however in my home system a bit more powerful amp as the RA-1 to open completly up.

After reading some reviews I feared there will be no bass, but no problems with the F pads. A very well made, beatiful can! (And it smells good too!)

Ps: plus I am probably the only one, but I think the new cable is better as the old. It looks, feels more high value for me.

E9433215-B0D9-4997-A58C-1DDD6E2F2527.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back