Grado Fan Club!
Jul 31, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #55,277 of 65,913

Hide your wallet...GS3000x inbound :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Hm… new 8 core cable, white stitching, no blue back plate on driver.
I guess this really is a prototype and may differ from final product.
I expect it to have the newer diffuser first seen on the white edition, then PS2000e, GS3000e.
And thanks to warning by Rebel Chris - yes, I better search a good place to hide my wallet.
(Especially since I now have lost a bet - really expected a GS1000-x only. Followed by PS1000-x.)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #55,279 of 65,913
I've recently found my Sr60i that I had stored away for many years that I forgot I owned and my goodness they are so fun to listen to. Fantastic for rock and metal.
Forgot you had them lol ... You need to get all your best headphones together, take s photo. And store ghem away neatly in good boxes or cases . Then rotate them for a change of sound. I have all my SR grado in cases with a coloured sticker so I know what's in each one lol . But I still use my first grado the sr60 for YouTube, or if outside in yard etc . Keeping the better ones clean and mint.

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #55,280 of 65,913
Forgot you had them lol ... You need to get all your best headphones together, take s photo. And store ghem away neatly in good boxes or cases . Then rotate them for a change of sound. I have all my SR grado in cases with a coloured sticker so I know what's in each one lol . But I still use my first grado the sr60 for YouTube, or if outside in yard etc . Keeping the better ones clean and mint.
…or use the same colour sticker on all cases for a Grado surprise!!…😄

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #55,281 of 65,913

Ps: plus I am probably the only one, but I think the new cable is better as the old. It looks, feels more high value for me.
Wait, let me have short but hearty knock on wood… ok, done.
The first thing is for all random readers, not necessarily the members of this fan club.
I never had or have personally seen any broken old style Grado cable RS - GS.
On a GH2, yes, but admittedly self-inflicted. Gave me a funny night with heated ‘X-ACTO‘ to fix.
And 2 even more funny weeks with that phone. (Hey, serious testing is part of sustainable quality management. 😗 🎶 )
No broken rodblock, gimbal or housing. And I do have several friends with at least one Grado headphone. Some with travelling jobs, most with at least one kid.
This doesn‘t mean it can‘t happen, because some fellow members here had this misfortune(?).
But please, dear head-fier, do not think of or expect bad quality in Grado products. Especially not in terms of sound quality. Of course bad luck happens. And of cause a support answer ‚Superglue it‘ is not a convincingly professional way to handle a request. But in my experience it is the exception not the standard with Grado.
Needed to write this, sorry guys.
Back to topic. I, personally, don‘t have the ‘standard’ problems with the Grado garden hose.
I prefer the old over the new in terms of microfonics.
Of course fixed cables … no point in recapping.
So this is directed to Grado team:
1. Point I don’t get is this: 6 feet?!
So these Phones are designed for people sitting directly front of the headphone amp?!
For watching TV we need extension cables. uhm, ok. (Edit: I am actually doing this right now!)
What about outdoors? Cramming 2-3 spare feet into our jackets?! Ok, what do we do in late spring/summer? Or California, Arizona,… Morocco?
2. Point I don’t get: 3.5mm SE/TRS plug?!
I could understand hesitation while mobile balanced was realized by 2.5 mm TRRS, cause nearly no company did 2.5 in their stationary gear (thanks, Questyle). But now you have Pentaconn 4.4mm in every price level 100.- to 7000.-
So let me make a propos… nomination, where you can keep the fixed cables.
Build them with 4 feet cables ending in Pentaconn plugs. Add a standard Pentaconn to 6.3 mm 1/4(?) extension to the box. So you can offer prepared Pentaconn to whatever extensions. In whatever length.
Of course, exchangeable cables would be even better.
Split the cable work from the headphone making.
Your cables are good, so get into the cable market too.

Another thing, you guys put XLR4 plugs to your phones. So you know how, especially Grado headphones midsection and soundstage, scale with balanced amps!?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #55,282 of 65,913
Good idea. They were stored away in my HD600 case 😄

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #55,283 of 65,913
I really don’t like the cables on the X series, I recently bought a pair of sr80x and a pair of gs1000e before they are out of stock. I much prefer the old cable. The new one feels cheap, and looks cheap.
I will stick with my gs1000e for as long as they work as I don’t want to upgrade to the new stuff Grado are putting out ☹️
Kev

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #55,284 of 65,913
I really don’t like the cables on the X series, I recently bought a pair of sr80x and a pair of gs1000e before they are out of stock. I much prefer the old cable. The new one feels cheap, and looks cheap.
I will stick with my gs1000e for as long as they work as I don’t want to upgrade to the new stuff Grado are putting out ☹️
Kev
I'm with you as well. They are doing it to attract new customers I believe. Such as making them more comfortable and "trying" to improve the cable. The X Series don't even sound as good either, like what...

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #55,285 of 65,913
I’m waiting till Grado update the PS2000, I may then be tempted to go try one in a store. I can’t afford one and need to get a few years use of myGS1000e 1st
Kev

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #55,287 of 65,913
My lazy Grado tip for today:

Grado SR60X with Yaxi pads through a Qudelix 5k using the preloaded "Grado The Hemp Headphone" EQ profile by Crinacle...

I feel like I'm listening to headphones worth 5-10 times the price of the SR60X.

If anyone here tries this out too, do let me know what you think...even if it's to shoot me down. Want to know whether I'm going mad?!

...but right now this sounds fantastic! Clarity throughout the frequency range, lovely imaging and spaciousness. Lush!

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #55,288 of 65,913
On the new cable, the sweet spot IMO is to (carefully) strip off the braiding above the Y splitter with a carpet knife. Best of both worlds... No jankiness along most of the cable, but the top part is freed and relaxed... And less microphonics reaching the driver.

I'm reluctant to buy an expensive model with the new cable because the idea of me putting an expensive set of headphones under the knife scares me. But it's definitely enhanced my enjoyment of the SR60X. My Hemps are the OG version with the thick vacuum chord cable. Not a fan of that either, super janky.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #55,290 of 65,913

Users who are viewing this thread

Back