Grado Fan Club!
Aug 2, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #55,291 of 65,914
I love the new cable. Way better than the old one. It's not as soft, sure. But it doesn't twist around or kink up as much as the old one. And it just looks nicer.

Aug 2, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #55,292 of 65,914
Both cables have there weaknesses imo.
I also agree I prefer the wood Grado to the multi hemp variants of X series but there is nothing wrong with any of the X series and as far as audio gos I think again this is a preference nothing more...the hemp are one of the best looking grado, I had rs2e here and I used to think they were one of the best visually but the hemp looked better and sound better IMO.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #55,293 of 65,914
I also agree I prefer the wood Grado to the multi hemp variants of X series but there is nothing wrong with any of the X series and as far as audio gos I think again this is a preference nothing more...the hemp are one of the best looking grado, I had rs2e here and I used to think they were one of the best visually but the hemp looked better and sound better IMO.

Hemp and RS1x are the two best looking Grado headphones available right now IMO.

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #55,294 of 65,914
Hemp and RS1x are the two best looking Grado headphones available right now IMO.
A plug here for GS3000e…☝️
3D87119E-883D-4A4A-A9F0-6013C6FE484B.jpeg

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #55,295 of 65,914
Aug 2, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #55,296 of 65,914
Aug 2, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #55,297 of 65,914
I'm with you as well. They are doing it to attract new customers I believe. Such as making them more comfortable and "trying" to improve the cable. The X Series don't even sound as good either, like what...

Both cables have problems, I like how the e are malleable, but I have good will regarding the x series, feels more modern and that will last for 30 years.

As for sound quality, have been thinking about this since my 80e is putting so much raw power in a unbelievable amazing way, it not feels right for the price. My 80x hasn't even come close to it yet, and that made me think how much burn in the Grado really needs, because I compare my super old 80e with a new one and very little used from my girlfriend. They are very different, her doesn`t have the punch and big bass as my and the highs are agressive in a bad way. I died laughing searching for this because I read someone saying that the Grado takes from 2 to 5 years to really reach it's maximum performance, but I begain to think that might actually be the case.

Have the 80e, 80x and 325x and I`m loving that I can switch between them depending on my mood. But, damn, my super old 80e has magic. Hope the all the x series goes in this directing through the years.

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #55,298 of 65,914
Aug 3, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #55,301 of 65,914
I also agree I prefer the wood Grado to the multi hemp variants of X series but there is nothing wrong with any of the X series and as far as audio gos I think again this is a preference nothing more...

I fully agree to all of that.
I like both cables but they all have their advantages and disadvantages compared to the other.

And I prefer solid one wood over the hybrid two or even three wood models.
This is meant from how they look and not regarding sound.
And of course you may think different about that.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #55,302 of 65,914

Hmmmmm.
I agree that the Hemp really looks good and it is good that only hemp wood is visible because the maple is hidden under the pads.

But for my eyes the RS1x is one of the ugliest Grado headphones I have ever seen.
I don't want to offend anyone here, please don't get me wrong.
It is fine for me if you all love the RS1x looks and it is good that we all have different tastes or preferences.
I just don't like this three wood look and I am not a big fan of cocobolo wood from its look either.
But I am nevertheless happy to see that many people really like the RS1x - from looks - and especially from sound of course.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #55,303 of 65,914
Hmmmmm.
I agree that the Hemp really looks good and it is good that only hemp wood is visible because the maple is hidden under the pads.

But for my eyes the RS1x is one of the ugliest Grado headphones I have ever seen.
I don't want to offend anyone here, please don't get me wrong.
It is fine for me if you all love the RS1x looks and it is good that we all have different tastes or preferences.
I just don't like this three wood look and I am not a big fan of cocobolo wood from its look either.
But I am nevertheless happy to see that many people like RS1x - from looks - and especially from sound of course.
I thought the same about the looks of the RS1x. But...it is a different story if you have it in your hands. And I think it is one of the best Grado's I ever heard (with F Cushion).

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #55,304 of 65,914
I thought the same about the looks of the RS1x. But...it is a different story if you have it in your hands. And I think it is one of the best Grado's I ever heard (with F Cushion).

I did never hear the RS1x myself, but I have no doubt that it sounds fantastic.
Whenever I have the possibility to take it in my hands, I will rethink my opinion about it's looks for sure.

But for now I think it is really good for me that I don't like how the RS1x looks.
Knowing how good it probably (probably because I did not hear it myself yet) sounds, I could be too much tempted if I also would like how it looks. :wink:

I did buy too many Grado headphones this year already and the year is still young.
Better not be tempted too much by the RS1x for now. :wink:
Just yesterday my Grado family again did grow.

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #55,305 of 65,914
I did never hear the RS1x myself, but I have no doubt that it sounds fantastic.
Whenever I have the possibility to take it in my hands, I will rethink my opinion about it's looks for sure.

But for now I think it is really good for me that I don't like how the RS1x looks.
Knowing how good it probably (probably because I did not hear it myself yet) sounds, I could be too much tempted if I also would like how it looks. :wink:

I did buy too many Grado headphones this year already and the year is still young.
Better not be tempted too much by the RS1x for now. :wink:
Just yesterday my Grado family again did grow.
Although I do have some doubts how long this three-composite will hold. We will see. Single wood is inherently more robust I think.

Plus yesterday I peaked with a light into the cup from the grill side, because the cable behaves differently from older Grados. I mean it does not move at all the cup size. Older Grados I had had a simple plastic cable binder inside which protected the drives soldering, you could not pull the cable too much out. But, I was able to tuck the cable inside the cup a bit. Plus the cable could be slightly rotated. It was free in the bored hole. Now, the RS1x has this melted plastic glue inside the cup, holding the cable in fix position at the hole. Well...that's anoter point where I am wondering...how long will it last? This glue bob is too big to come through the grill holes (ones it becomes free) remaining inside the cup, plus then there is no protection for the soldering at the membran.

Time will tell.

But it sounds bloody good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back