Grado Fan Club!
Aug 6, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #40,171 of 65,581
Comparison of Grado RS2e, GH2, and HF3

Having just received both the HF3 head-fi.org Limited Edition (with charitable contribution) and the GH2 Limited Edition (cocobolo!), I had to compare these on-ear Grados to my favorite on-ear Grado, the RS2e.

Here they are, in their beautiful glory...

Grado RS2e, GH2, and HF3 compared

The three headphones were so close in performance as to be nearly indistinguishable... if I were given one in isolation, I would not be able to tell which of the three it was. Only by rapid sequential one-after-the-other could I start to find differences, and those differences were slight.

The RS2e was the most sensitive of the three; the HF3 was the least sensitive. The HF3 has a thinner body than the RS2e and the GH2.

Here are the results, using the systematic listening comparison that I have used for over 100 pairs of headphones, described here. For each of the 10 acoustic features, the headphone that had the most of that feature was first prize (blue, 3 points), the middle headphone was second (red, 2 points), and the headphone with the least of that feature was third (yellow, 1 point). Ties were permitted (indeed, encouraged, if I could not robustly tell a difference with respect to a feature), and were award 2.5, 2, or 1.5 points, based on the type of tie.

The GH2 slightly (and insignificantly) outshone the RS2e, with better fine detail but less transparency, and the RS2e was a bit ahead of the HF3 in total score, with stronger transparency and soundstage width. Surprisingly, despite the reputation of the GH2 as a subbass powerhouse, all three scored equally on this feature.

They are all three great and generally indistinguishable headphones!
Haha, that was awesome!:smile::point_up_2:

One thing though, the Rs2e retails for $495 not $399:money_mouth:

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #40,172 of 65,581
Haha, that was awesome!:smile::point_up_2:

One thing though, the Rs2e retails for $495 not $399:money_mouth:
Ha! Fake news on this liberal-media reporter’s part.

You are right... the RS2e is indeed $495. Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #40,173 of 65,581
I had the Alessandro ms2i many years ago and regretted selling them off. I recently bought an ms2e from a head-fier, purely out of sentimental value.

One thing I did not miss about them was their comfort level (or lack thereof). Is it possible to use the larger grado sponge cups with these headphones? Or any other aftermarket sponge cup for that matter? I would like to have them over the ear rather than the on-the-ear feel.
by grado sponge cups i assume you mean the earpads. if so, it certainly going to change the sound. your preference going to play big part on it whether the change is good or not. you could try the original g-pad although that's rarely gave a positive experience on the sound, i heard the the fake g-pad give great experience ( i haven't try ), and there is also the nz earpads but it's really expensive not sure how it sound i haven't try that one either

if you mean cups, i have no idea.i haven't seen people mod their sr325 into ps1k/ps2k style

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #40,174 of 65,581
Hi All,

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times so I apologise for this (and I've been through this thread quite a bit too - some very useful and very insightful information) but I've got the opportunity to get some real deals on some RS2e or GH2, there is an approx $300 NZD price difference between the two as there is quite a heavy discount on the GH2.

I've recently acquired some SR-225e (yes very late to the party!) and like the sound, but do find them a bit bright at the top end and from what I read the two above are a bit less so in that department and have deeper bass.

I've also got some Audeze LCD2, but am finding them a bit too recessed and lack the energy I am getting from the Grados. I mainly listen to rock/metal

Appreciate any advice from other Grado users that might have done the same, or have (or had/or compared) both and if the difference in price (for sound only - as I'm not worried about the looks).

Thanks again
A little late to the party but since you already decided to get the GH2 I'd suggest trying different ear pads, both OEM and generic ones. For me the stock L-pads that came with my SR225e was just way too uncomfortable so I tried out both OEM and generic G-pads, both will alter the sound but I find that I prefer generic G-pads since they tend to be a bit softer feeling, bring up the bass a touch, give a slightly better soundstage and slightly reduce the brightness. With that said you might have to try a few different generic G-pads from different vendors since the QC is not the best with the generic pads but if you find a pair that you like I'd order a few spares from the same vendor. I was also lucky to have another Head-Fi member let me try the BA pads which were quite comfortable but altered the sound a bit too much for my tastes.

I liked the changes that the generic G-pads made to my SR225e that I also got a RS2e, PS500e and older SR80i, SR60 and have built some Grado RS type builds using drivers from a few different vendors and wood cups of different styles and wood. I've also modded all of them to have removeable cables (can't stand the stock cables since they are way too heavy and stiff) and added dynamat in the cups and either sorbothane or dynamat on the back of the drivers. I've since sold the PS500e and SR80i (drivers were placed in wood cups). I've posted a few pictures of my RS2e on this tread but you can also see them in my gallery which I've linked to in my signature at the bottom of my post.

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #40,175 of 65,581
A little late to the party but since you already decided to get the GH2 I'd suggest trying different ear pads, both OEM and generic ones. For me the stock L-pads that came with my SR225e was just way too uncomfortable so I tried out both OEM and generic G-pads, both will alter the sound but I find that I prefer generic G-pads since they tend to be a bit softer feeling, bring up the bass a touch, give a slightly better soundstage and slightly reduce the brightness. With that said you might have to try a few different generic G-pads from different vendors since the QC is not the best with the generic pads but if you find a pair that you like I'd order a few spares from the same vendor. I was also lucky to have another Head-Fi member let me try the BA pads which were quite comfortable but altered the sound a bit too much for my tastes.

I liked the changes that the generic G-pads made to my SR225e that I also got a RS2e, PS500e and older SR80i, SR60 and have built some Grado RS type builds using drivers from a few different vendors and wood cups of different styles and wood. I've also modded all of them to have removeable cables (can't stand the stock cables since they are way too heavy and stiff) and added dynamat in the cups and either sorbothane or dynamat on the back of the drivers. I've since sold the PS500e and SR80i (drivers were placed in wood cups). I've posted a few pictures of my RS2e on this tread but you can also see them in my gallery which I've linked to in my signature at the bottom of my post.

I would also second this. I bought some cheapie G pads and they worked out well. When I wear the stock pads for a long time they were hurting my ears. I then changed over to G-Cush knockoffs and everything thing was good for a few months. I just recently changed back to the stock pads and have not worn them enough to have a problem yet.

Variety is the spice of life and these are cheap. I think I paid $14.00 for one pair and $19.00 for the other in Canada.

Shane D

Aug 7, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #40,176 of 65,581
I would also second this. I bought some cheapie G pads and they worked out well. When I wear the stock pads for a long time they were hurting my ears. I then changed over to G-Cush knockoffs and everything thing was good for a few months. I just recently changed back to the stock pads and have not worn them enough to have a problem yet.

Variety is the spice of life and these are cheap. I think I paid $14.00 for one pair and $19.00 for the other in Canada.

Shane D
Is the $14 and $19 in Canadian currency? I've been getting mine from E-B for $4-7 US but I haven't bought any in the last year since I stocked up (5 pairs) when I found a decent set from on seller for $5.50 including shipping to Hawaii and they did take almost 3 weeks to get here.

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #40,177 of 65,581
Is the $14 and $19 in Canadian currency? I've been getting mine from E-B for $4-7 US but I haven't bought any in the last year since I stocked up (5 pairs) when I found a decent set from on seller for $5.50 including shipping to Hawaii and they did take almost 3 weeks to get here.

Yes, that is in Canuck bucks. That was the cheapest our Amazon had at the time.
Correction: As I recall, there were some for $10.00, but the ad looked a bit sketchy.

Shane D

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #40,178 of 65,581
79F2006A-B368-4E8C-B443-0EECEBD7155F.jpeg

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #40,179 of 65,581
I purchased the GW100 at Amazon. I have been using the Bose QC35 mark one exclusively as my Bluetooth headphones. I use the Grado SR 325 as my wired headphones. When I read the reviews of the GW100 the comments were generally favorable. I agree. After listening through my iPhone X through Spotify, using tracks from Ry Cooder,Bob Dylan, and vintage acoustic blues tracks, it was clear (no pun intended) to me that the GW100 was a cut above in musicality with real world electronics such as mobile devices. The gw100 processed the digital bits turned to musical notes flawlessly to my ears. No strenuous shrills on the top end and plenty of foundation bass to satisfy even though it’s open backed. Separation of stereo tracks were astounding. Mono tracks were detail oriented. The headphones were more than capable of delivering all the richness of the recording without sacrificing Grado principals. And did I mention that this review is based on a wireless connection! Ha! Grado has hit a homer in the GW100. First generation designs have to impress. The GW100 has impressed me. I will be using them a lot.

I’ve been living and listening to the GW 100 for a few weeks now. I can safely say that the sound is a revelation. I have been using them to listen to the WQXR App on my IPhone X. WOW. The GW100 pairs so well with digital streaming. Especially with the live recordings offered on the WQXR APP. But also with the normal broadcast stream. Very impressive bottom end. And truly amazing detail coming through. I’m so comfortable listening for long periods of time. The GW 100 are a true find in the wireless arena of headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #40,180 of 65,581
I purchased the GW100 at Amazon. I have been using the Bose QC35 mark one exclusively as my Bluetooth headphones. I use the Grado SR 325 as my wired headphones. When I read the reviews of the GW100 the comments were generally favorable. I agree. After listening through my iPhone X through Spotify, using tracks from Ry Cooder,Bob Dylan, and vintage acoustic blues tracks, it was clear (no pun intended) to me that the GW100 was a cut above in musicality with real world electronics such as mobile devices. The gw100 processed the digital bits turned to musical notes flawlessly to my ears. No strenuous shrills on the top end and plenty of foundation bass to satisfy even though it’s open backed. Separation of stereo tracks were astounding. Mono tracks were detail oriented. The headphones were more than capable of delivering all the richness of the recording without sacrificing Grado principals. And did I mention that this review is based on a wireless connection! Ha! Grado has hit a homer in the GW100. First generation designs have to impress. The GW100 has impressed me. I will be using them a lot.

Well stated impressions, seems to be the general feeling on them, happiness.

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #40,181 of 65,581
Hi William. I think I understand the roadmap from Prestige through Reference. The path seems to T at the intersection with Professional and Statement. Some seem to feel that Professional has greater attack and more pronounced notes (which I like), while others suggest a U curve, with reduced mids (which i don't believe I would like). Statement also might have a U curve but with a softer approach? It sounds like there are exceptions and that might be entirely wrong! Are you able to comment?
Personally I have never really cared about the Professional and the Statement series... They are too different from the "house sound" that I find on the Reference and the Prestige series. I'm sure a lot of members in this thread would still love them, though.
Also, the only "expensive" cans that I'd be willing to buy is the HD800. Everything else in my lineup cost less than $400, including the RS2e which is my personal TOTL.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back