Grado Fan Club!
Aug 8, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #40,186 of 65,549
Grado Gh2 have arrived!! And they look the part.

Burning in now. Audio impressions to come.

Burning in? Did you get a brand new pair?

Shane D

Aug 8, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #40,187 of 65,549
Burning in? Did you get a brand new pair?

Shane D

Yes, it was all I could get. Now I am asking myself where the photo I thought I uploaded went..

Let's try again....

20190809_132111.jpg

Aug 8, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #40,188 of 65,549
Yes, it was all I could get. Now I am asking myself where the photo I thought I uploaded went..

Let's try again....

They are beautiful. I love cocobolo.:heart_eyes:

I am surprised there are still new ones around. Cool that you got a nice discount on new!

Shane D

Aug 8, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #40,190 of 65,549
Yes me too, very pleased with whole deal. I got the impression a change of supplier/distributor drove the discount and I also suspect here in NZ things like these don't move too fast.

Congrats! And I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I have several 'phones as I love variety, but I always go back to the Grado's.

The only thing I HATE about my Grado's and All Grado's is the stiff, fixed cable. They are the only 'phones that I can't feed from my balanced DAP output or balanced amps.

Shane D

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #40,191 of 65,549
Congrats! And I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I have several 'phones as I love variety, but I always go back to the Grado's.

The only thing I HATE about my Grado's and All Grado's is the stiff, fixed cable. They are the only 'phones that I can't feed from my balanced DAP output or balanced amps.

Shane D
You can change the connector, it's not that hard. The 1/4" plug of my PS2000e started failing and I just removed it and put a 4 pin XLR. Soldering something smaller might be challenging, 2.5mm would be nightmare with the 12 conductor cable. Also I find excessive the 170 usd they charge for change the connector, a 4 pin XLR costs around 5 usd, and soldering it should be fast for someone with experience.

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #40,193 of 65,549
Aug 9, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #40,194 of 65,549
Aug 9, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #40,195 of 65,549
You can change the connector, it's not that hard. The 1/4" plug of my PS2000e started failing and I just removed it and put a 4 pin XLR. Soldering something smaller might be challenging, 2.5mm would be nightmare with the 12 conductor cable. Also I find excessive the 170 usd they charge for change the connector, a 4 pin XLR costs around 5 usd, and soldering it should be fast for someone with experience.

The only change that I would make is to have a removable cable. Then you could have XLR or whatever you wanted. Something like the Beautiful Audio conversion kit would be ideal if you didn't mind cutting up your set.

Shane D

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #40,196 of 65,549
Sorry if this is against the rules but there is this place that I've looked at for ear pads that seem to have an adapter that might do the job, definitely seems to be some soldering involved.

https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/products/grado-cable-adaptor-small
You might also want to check out the Grado mods thread here or try some of the thread for alternative drivers such as Magnum, Elleven Acoustica, Nhoord and Turbulent, lots of good info and some very helpful posters

Aug 9, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #40,198 of 65,549
What process do you follow to burn in the new phones?

Congrats on the GH2, beautiful headphones!

Cheers for that, I am hoping they are significant improvement over the SR225e I've got.

As for burn-in, I use the extremely scientific approach of just plugging them into an amp and playing a variety of music at a medium volume :)

There may be some sort of tone or tone pattern that could be used?

I just figure that if I play the music I'm likely to play anyway it's just speeding up the process... I can't say for certain either way but it's a habit now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back