Grado Fan Club!
Jul 26, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #40,141 of 65,642
Thanks. Would you say $260 is a good deal?

Fine amp. One of several which would be a good match with Grado. For many, as an alternative, Schiit is pretty much universally recognized as the best bang for buck in the audio world.....things at each price point, all of which have a certain panache and neutrality equalling items farmer expensive (find any review at random, including "Product of the Year" at The Absolute Sound, for their top of the line DAC.

And here's for DACs/Amps in your budget.....or below:
$99 Gizmo Kicks Up Your Headphones Sound
Steve Guttenberg, CNET Audiophiliac
"...if you've already invested in a nice set of headphones and never tried them with an amp you don't know how good your headphones really are. You're missing out.

To test that assertion I auditioned a set of Beyerdynamic T 51p on-ear headphones plugged into my Mac Mini's headphone jack, and then with the Magni 3. The Mac Mini's sound was a tad dull and bland, while the Magni 3 had more kick and energy, so it was more fun to listen to. These headphones really shone with the Magni 3.

I also listened to the Magni 3 with a set of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over-the-ear headphones. The sound was crisp and clean, a big step up from what I got with listening to my iPhone 6S, which was dynamically crushed and lifeless by comparison. It wasn't even close."
Read Full Review -> (see the Schiit.com reviews page, and take a look at the products list and budget ranges. I have used nothing else since owning higher end Fiio, Woo Audio, and a loaded Chord Dave, which had a bit more subtle than the $99 Schiit Magni (at 0.12% the price), and a clear second in clarity, bass control, and dynamics to the Schiit Mjolnir2 at 10% the Chord Dave price. Plus.....Grado now sells Schiit and has used them in design of the headphones, and vice versa (I'm just an (experienced) customer - no gains to touting their products.). Each is a bargain with NO audio compromises. Check the consensus across the audio review world.

There is no euphony to compromise your love to neutrality. Their tube or hybrid gear is CLEAN, solid state hits every criteriorn....and several model not only allow a wide range of tubes to roll, but are either Solid State, OR accommodate either tubes or (for real) solid state tubes, Schiit inventions which fit the 9-pin tube sockets, allowing a unique versatility.

They make end-game speaker amps at similar price points (made entirely in the USA, except for the plug-in power transformers). The designs are all innovations by high-end pioneers who tired of exponential markups of audio jewelry with microscopically diminishing returns.

Cheap enough to buy for variety and fun....but like many of us, your electronics are taken care of for the foreseeable future. Oh yeah, nearly everything is upgradeable affordably by the factory for as long as forever means anything in the audio world.

They are very funny, they answer all customer requests same day (sometimes in minutes), and they've written delightful book on creating an audio electronics start-up, "Schiit Happens".

I bought the Modi/Magni stamp (would have been $200 but for the DAC processor upgrade I requested, so the combo was $350 - with full, backa nd orth advice on matching, processor choices, and cables. They recommended a LESS expensive combo for synergy with the HF3 - which is on my head for too much for my family's preference (I'm temporarily separated from my high-end (at mod-line prices) and GS3000e. The little guys have a seductive, details an impactful magic, and the amps look like cute, like audiophile paperweights. And then they bench press more than you can.

No buyer remorse intended. The Hafler is a fine unit and you may never care. Just some of us feel we've won something since we discovered Schiit. That's how I put it. I can't find a discernible flaw across the product line (I've got three tiers of DAC/AMP combos, and certainly none meaningful or diverging from neutrality in any audible way.
Excerpts.
One of the best amps we've ever tested.
The Master Switch, Rob Boffard
"And when it comes down to it, what the Magni 3 offers is so compelling that we genuinely can’t think of another competitor in this particular price range. Up until about $300 – more than three times its cost – there’s simply nothing else like it. It takes all the 2-Uber-Multibit nonsense of the previous Magni generation, and simplifies it. It offers terrific sound, wonderful design, splendid ease-of-use, the ability to power just about any pair of headphones, and – as we keep harping on about – an attractive price. And even if it didn’t, it still has the greatest on-switch noise of any amp out there.

So yes: fight us in the comments. Go ahead. We love this amp, and think you will, too."
Read Full Review ->

Schiit Audio Magni 3
The Absolute Sound, Editor's Choice
"The Magni3 offers excellent bass and sub-bass control, pitch definition, and drive, as well as a very dynamic upper midrange...a simple and cost-effective way to drive a wide variety of headphones at or near their optimum potential.

TAS%20EdChoice%20Small.png

What HiFi?
What HiFi?
"Want a simple, affordable, great-sounding headphone amp? This is it."

Read Full Review ->

Schiit Magni 3 & Vali 2 Amps (Solid State vs. Tube-Hybrid): Review & Comparison
Ian Dunmore, Headphone.com
"Magni 3’s combination of traits yields the best overall delivery I’ve heard among its segment of affordable solid-state amplifiers (and several rather less-affordable models), which often lean towards being bright, or hard sounding - or sometimes “clinical” - not something one could accuse Magni 3 of. This is not an amp you buy to fix tonality problems elsewhere in your chain but nor will it add any new ones, and while not necessarily state-of-the-art in any one area (except, perhaps, in overall value), is unfailingly enjoyable and musically convincing."

"Magni 3 performs so well, in fact, that you can go a long way up the headphone ladder before it will become the limiting factor in your listening, particularly on a technical level. For example, this little unit is sufficiently resolving as to be capable of exposing the small and subtle differences in detail resolution that exist between say the Massdrop x Focal Elex and the Focal Clear."

"It is easy to recommend Magni 3 not just as a “$100 headphone amp” or an entry-level unit, but on a general basis and as something that many people will never feel the need to upgrade beyond."
Read Full Review ->

Jul 26, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #40,142 of 65,642
Looks like $449.00
Know anything about HeadAmp Gilmore Lite mk2?
Sorry, I only know what I read in a review at Enjoy The Music. It seems these headphone amps were designed with similar goals; strong power output and neutral reproduction of the source. A direct comparison may be impossible to find, so I'd be inclined to compare them on features and price. The features that each offer are quite different (XLR & RCA vs. RCA only inputs, RCA pass-through vs. preamp out, dual vs. single headphone output.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #40,143 of 65,642
Fine amp. One of several which would be a good match with Grado. For many, as an alternative, Schiit is pretty much universally recognized as the best bang for buck in the audio world.....things at each price point, all of which have a certain panache and neutrality equalling items farmer expensive (find any review at random, including "Product of the Year" at The Absolute Sound, for their top of the line DAC.

And here's for DACs/Amps in your budget.....or below:
$99 Gizmo Kicks Up Your Headphones Sound
Steve Guttenberg, CNET Audiophiliac
"...if you've already invested in a nice set of headphones and never tried them with an amp you don't know how good your headphones really are. You're missing out.

To test that assertion I auditioned a set of Beyerdynamic T 51p on-ear headphones plugged into my Mac Mini's headphone jack, and then with the Magni 3. The Mac Mini's sound was a tad dull and bland, while the Magni 3 had more kick and energy, so it was more fun to listen to. These headphones really shone with the Magni 3.

I also listened to the Magni 3 with a set of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over-the-ear headphones. The sound was crisp and clean, a big step up from what I got with listening to my iPhone 6S, which was dynamically crushed and lifeless by comparison. It wasn't even close."
Read Full Review -> (see the Schiit.com reviews page, and take a look at the products list and budget ranges. I have used nothing else since owning higher end Fiio, Woo Audio, and a loaded Chord Dave, which had a bit more subtle than the $99 Schiit Magni (at 0.12% the price), and a clear second in clarity, bass control, and dynamics to the Schiit Mjolnir2 at 10% the Chord Dave price. Plus.....Grado now sells Schiit and has used them in design of the headphones, and vice versa (I'm just an (experienced) customer - no gains to touting their products.). Each is a bargain with NO audio compromises. Check the consensus across the audio review world.

There is no euphony to compromise your love to neutrality. Their tube or hybrid gear is CLEAN, solid state hits every criteriorn....and several model not only allow a wide range of tubes to roll, but are either Solid State, OR accommodate either tubes or (for real) solid state tubes, Schiit inventions which fit the 9-pin tube sockets, allowing a unique versatility.

They make end-game speaker amps at similar price points (made entirely in the USA, except for the plug-in power transformers). The designs are all innovations by high-end pioneers who tired of exponential markups of audio jewelry with microscopically diminishing returns.

Cheap enough to buy for variety and fun....but like many of us, your electronics are taken care of for the foreseeable future. Oh yeah, nearly everything is upgradeable affordably by the factory for as long as forever means anything in the audio world.

They are very funny, they answer all customer requests same day (sometimes in minutes), and they've written delightful book on creating an audio electronics start-up, "Schiit Happens".

I bought the Modi/Magni stamp (would have been $200 but for the DAC processor upgrade I requested, so the combo was $350 - with full, backa nd orth advice on matching, processor choices, and cables. They recommended a LESS expensive combo for synergy with the HF3 - which is on my head for too much for my family's preference (I'm temporarily separated from my high-end (at mod-line prices) and GS3000e. The little guys have a seductive, details an impactful magic, and the amps look like cute, like audiophile paperweights. And then they bench press more than you can.

No buyer remorse intended. The Hafler is a fine unit and you may never care. Just some of us feel we've won something since we discovered Schiit. That's how I put it. I can't find a discernible flaw across the product line (I've got three tiers of DAC/AMP combos, and certainly none meaningful or diverging from neutrality in any audible way.
Excerpts.
One of the best amps we've ever tested.
The Master Switch, Rob Boffard
"And when it comes down to it, what the Magni 3 offers is so compelling that we genuinely can’t think of another competitor in this particular price range. Up until about $300 – more than three times its cost – there’s simply nothing else like it. It takes all the 2-Uber-Multibit nonsense of the previous Magni generation, and simplifies it. It offers terrific sound, wonderful design, splendid ease-of-use, the ability to power just about any pair of headphones, and – as we keep harping on about – an attractive price. And even if it didn’t, it still has the greatest on-switch noise of any amp out there.

So yes: fight us in the comments. Go ahead. We love this amp, and think you will, too."
Read Full Review ->

Schiit Audio Magni 3
The Absolute Sound, Editor's Choice
"The Magni3 offers excellent bass and sub-bass control, pitch definition, and drive, as well as a very dynamic upper midrange...a simple and cost-effective way to drive a wide variety of headphones at or near their optimum potential.

TAS%20EdChoice%20Small.png

What HiFi?
What HiFi?
"Want a simple, affordable, great-sounding headphone amp? This is it."

Read Full Review ->

Schiit Magni 3 & Vali 2 Amps (Solid State vs. Tube-Hybrid): Review & Comparison
Ian Dunmore, Headphone.com
"Magni 3’s combination of traits yields the best overall delivery I’ve heard among its segment of affordable solid-state amplifiers (and several rather less-affordable models), which often lean towards being bright, or hard sounding - or sometimes “clinical” - not something one could accuse Magni 3 of. This is not an amp you buy to fix tonality problems elsewhere in your chain but nor will it add any new ones, and while not necessarily state-of-the-art in any one area (except, perhaps, in overall value), is unfailingly enjoyable and musically convincing."

"Magni 3 performs so well, in fact, that you can go a long way up the headphone ladder before it will become the limiting factor in your listening, particularly on a technical level. For example, this little unit is sufficiently resolving as to be capable of exposing the small and subtle differences in detail resolution that exist between say the Massdrop x Focal Elex and the Focal Clear."

"It is easy to recommend Magni 3 not just as a “$100 headphone amp” or an entry-level unit, but on a general basis and as something that many people will never feel the need to upgrade beyond."
Read Full Review ->

I just don't like where they set the gain on Schitts. I have to turn to 3:00 to get my desired listening level.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #40,147 of 65,642
I agree. I have a Vali 2 and the gain switch is in the "up" position. I cannot push the volume much above 12 (straight up) before it's hurting my ears and I'm hard of hearing. I don't wear hearing aids when using my Grado's. One thing I have experienced is that the Modi 3 Multibit / Vali 2 with my Grado's even at the same level volume as the Grado's connected directly to my Mac sound much more clear. So a good DAC/Amp is not just about volume but about hearing better what is in the audio.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #40,148 of 65,642
You have two gain switches on every amp. The high gain has never taken me past 11AM on any Grado, and I listen louder than I should.
I agree, as long as your DAC output is 2V. Not all DACs output standard voltage.

Aug 3, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #40,149 of 65,642
Sending my HF3s back on Monday. Already packed up. I received my Koss ESP/95X today and it blew me away. I had no idea how good electrostatic ear speakers were until today. I think a bunch of my gear will be going up for sale soon. lol, I see Stax in my future.

I'll keep my LCD2's and Grado GS-1000 headphones....everything else must go. Good lord, I'm floored.

Aug 3, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #40,150 of 65,642
Sending my HF3s back on Monday. Already packed up. I received my Koss ESP/95X today and it blew me away. I had no idea how good electrostatic ear speakers were until today. I think a bunch of my gear will be going up for sale soon. lol, I see Stax in my future.

I'll keep my LCD2's and Grado GS-1000 headphones....everything else must go. Good lord, I'm floored.

Welcome to the "Dark Side" perhaps might fit. I recently got a friend who loved his Sennheiser HD800 to take a chance on a pair of vintage Stax (SR-X mk3, circa 1977) and he has not looked back. He recently purchased the current
Model Stax SR-L700 and now has two Stax amps.

The Koss ESP 950 remains in my opinion an excellent value and an excellent entry into the world of electrostatics. Anytime I had mine on my table at a local meet they were always well received and a popular listen. They are light and comfortable to boot.

Enjoy.

Aug 3, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #40,151 of 65,642

E-Stats can be quite an eye opening experience but for me I only kept my SRD-34 (not a true e-stat) but sounds like one and have traded my SR009/SRM007mk2 with a good friend for wine, scotch and other spirits ($9K+) at todays prices but for my friend I would guess he only paid $4k since many of the bottles of wine / scotch were acquired many years ago. For me my HD800 and T1gen1 could substitute for the SR009 most of the time so it was an easy decision to make the trade and IMO all the booze will make almost any headphone sound great.

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #40,152 of 65,642
Welcome to the "Dark Side" perhaps might fit. I recently got a friend who loved his Sennheiser HD800 to take a chance on a pair of vintage Stax (SR-X mk3, circa 1977) and he has not looked back. He recently purchased the current
Model Stax SR-L700 and now has two Stax amps.

The Koss ESP 950 remains in my opinion an excellent value and an excellent entry into the world of electrostatics. Anytime I had mine on my table at a local meet they were always well received and a popular listen. They are light and comfortable to boot.

Enjoy.

I bought the Stax SRM-T1 which arrives next week at some point. I've decided on buying the Stax SR-L700MKII. I plan to sell off some gear to fund them. But I'm not in a big hurry as I want to spend time with the 95x with the Stax T1. The cable adapter arrived today.

Aug 3, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #40,153 of 65,642
E-Stats can be quite an eye opening experience but for me I only kept my SRD-34 (not a true e-stat) but sounds like one and have traded my SR009/SRM007mk2 with a good friend for wine, scotch and other spirits ($9K+) at todays prices but for my friend I would guess he only paid $4k since many of the bottles of wine / scotch were acquired many years ago. For me my HD800 and T1gen1 could substitute for the SR009 most of the time so it was an easy decision to make the trade and IMO all the booze will make almost any headphone sound great.
lol

i heard his wine are great

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #40,155 of 65,642
There was one at the NYC CanJam that got listened to a a good bit. Very positive feedback overall on the sound. Very comfortable. Shipping has begun so there should be some posts from freashly minted owners. Unique look.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back