Grado Fan Club!
Aug 9, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #40,201 of 65,428
No, not at all. As you find the time for listening or just playing. I choose very well recorded music that has some solid, impactful and detailed bass along with everything else. I will often leave a new acquisition on over night playing at a slightly loud/normal (lifelike?) level.

I am doing the very same now with a new pair of the Sony MDR-Z1r I got a bit over a week ago. From out of the box they started sounding better in only a few hours. I passed 100 hours a couple of days ago and they have evolved wonderfully and I know there is more performance to come.

I recommend checking in every 10 hours or so with a good full range recording that you are familiar with and like. It is fun as you may pick up on some changes even in the short term.

Have FUN !!

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #40,203 of 65,428
Woodbridge Audio is one of the premier audio shops in the NY Metro area.

Address: 751 NJ-35, Woodbridge, NJ 07095
Hours: Closed ⋅ Opens 11AM
Phone: (732) 636-7777

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #40,207 of 65,428
I found a good review of the PS2000e in a magazine. It's called HiFi+ & The Absolute Sound Ultimate Guide to Headphones and Personal Audio 2018. I bought it through a digital magazine provider called PocketMags.

I'm on the lookout for some beauty headphones, but probably not thinking about the PS2000e myself.

I recently bought the AKG N5005 IEMs, and I love them.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #40,208 of 65,428
I found a good review of the PS2000e in a magazine. It's called HiFi+ & The Absolute Sound Ultimate Guide to Headphones and Personal Audio 2018. I bought it through a digital magazine provider called PocketMags.

I'm on the lookout for some beauty headphones, but probably not thinking about the PS2000e myself.

I recently bought the AKG N5005 IEMs, and I love them.

Here's a great review that Frank I wrote:
https://headphone.guru/sensational-new-dynamic-reference-headphone-john-grado-ps2000e/

This review inspired me to pick them up last year and I love them!

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #40,209 of 65,428
The foam on my PS500 is disinterigating :frowning2:

Any other foam/pads that works well with the PS500?

I tried the sennheiser momentum on ear pads but it muffles the highs a lot.
I'd suggest going to E-b and getting some generic G-pads ($4-6/pair) since they are very comfortable and give a slightly better soundstage IMO

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #40,210 of 65,428
Here's a great review that Frank I wrote:
https://headphone.guru/sensational-new-dynamic-reference-headphone-john-grado-ps2000e/

This review inspired me to pick them up last year and I love them!

I would not be averse to auditioning the PS2000e, but I most likely would not buy them. Only because I think I would find them a bit big and heavy for some uses that I have. I often chill out laid down with my head propped up only a bit. I think the heavy Grado flagships would fall off when almost horizontal.

I recently bought a Chord Hugo TT2, as well as already owning the Hugo 2. I can't get over how good they both are. I have the AKG N40, and AKG N5005, and still have my Grado 225i with e-drivers. (I use amp and speakers too.)

To even use my 225i/e, I would probably have to buy g-cush, for them. The l-cush leaves them sounding a bit on the bright side, or rather lack of lower frequency. It really is the case that the lower frequencies are missing, because the treble is not hot. I can show that by pressing the cups closer to my ears, and the lower frequencies all fill in. Still however, as pleasant as they would be with g-cushes, I would like something a lot better.

A long time ago, I was happy to EQ my 225e. Now I think I would rather buy another brand that I don't have to EQ. I just had a quick peek at your profile and see you have lots of DACs and headphones. I personally would not go that route, but I totally appreciate why someone would. It's more just the case that I would prefer one good set of headphones. Then fix or replace them if they broke.

With Chord DACs I know my source is flat as it's possible to get. It means any colouration is going to be from headphones. Meaning I am on the lookout for some neutral headphones. Couldn't help posting the good news about the PS2000e then. I bet if they were of a factor I could use, I'd be hot for them. Still can't shake them from my mind now though.

By the way, have you comes across the Chord Hugo M-Scaler, (possibly with WAVE coaxial cables). If not, I think it's something you should look into ASAP. M-Scaler with Qutest/Hugo 2, TT2, or DAVE is said to outstanding. (I have a Qutest too, and would recommend that to any Head-Fi hifi user, or for use with headphone amp. Although Hugo 2 is that in one. If you have not been reading, the short story about the M-Scaler is this. The M-Scaler switches off the taps in the Chord DAC, and replaces them with its 1,000,000 taps. Meaning in your DAVE, the 160,000 taps are replaced, by one million. Considering the DAVE is better than the TT2 in one way, due to TT2 only having 96,000 taps. (Hugo 2 having 49,000 taps.) Also given what Rob Watts does with DACs, then it seems the M-Scaler hype is believable.

(If you go the M-Scaler route, I would also suggest the WAVE Storm coaxial cables. Long story - M-Scaler apparently produces noise in huge processor which gets into the digital coaxial cables. That noise gets into the analogue parts of the DAC. It causes a little brightness. The WAVE cables remove it. Short story - the best sound. ……… I have not bought M-Scaler myself. Not sure I ever will. I only suggest it as something you should know about. …… There are other users though, who have the M-Scaler with stock cables and love it.)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #40,211 of 65,428
I have DAVE+M-Scaler (and Etude amp) and they sound great with Utopia but equally with my first gen Grado PS500 :wink:

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #40,215 of 65,428
I think it was earlier in this thread, but someone posted they liked the GS3000e better than their PS2000e. So you never know what people are going to enjoy. My PS1000e are gone for recabling and although I really love my HD650, I miss them! They're a nice change up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back