++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #27,181 of 29,490
Quote:

I just checked Amazon.de and that's awfully close to HD 600 pricing. If you're willing to spend that much, you might want to demo that as well since you may prefer a slightly warmer, more forgiving sound.

I would say that most entry level combos are at least equal to equivalently priced sound cards. Some of Audio GD units are very impressive from a specs perspective. And yes, the USB connectivity does replace the need to physically install something in your PC case. 

I have (finally) found a shop where I can test the the Beyer 770, 880 and 990, the Sennheiser 598's and the Audio Technica M50's. Their range of test-headphones is fairly limited, but I'm glad they supposedly have these variants available.

I'll come back here tonight to share my findings. I'll also certainly have to find some place I can audition the HD 600's sometime.

The Amp business is something I'll have to do some more research on. Thanks for the input so far.

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #27,182 of 29,490
After searching for a few months i settled on some akg k240 mk ii cans, what would be the best amp, for desktop use, around 80$ that would power these bad boys? I've looked into the fiio e7 and e11, would either of these suffice?

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #27,183 of 29,490
Quote:
After searching for a few months i settled on some akg k240 mk ii cans, what would be the best amp, for desktop use, around 80$ that would power these bad boys? I've looked into the fiio e7 and e11, would either of these suffice?

Fiio E11 should work but it is a bit noisy if you also use it with earphones. Buying a used Objective2 amp (around $100) would be a far better choice.  

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #27,184 of 29,490
Hello guys, I need a recommendation for the best $200 headphone setup (incl. an amp if need be) for my home use. I'd like good details, clarity, treble and soundstage all well-presented. Bass is not really a problem, but a clear-defined presence would be nice. My music is generally indie, classical, R&B; I also listen to metal (e.g mostly instrumental, melodic, and symphonic tracks). Thank you!    

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #27,185 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello guys, I need a recommendation for the best $200 headphone setup (incl. an amp if need be) for my home use. I'd like good details, clarity, treble and soundstage all well-presented. Bass is not really a problem, but a clear-defined presence would be nice. My music is generally indie, classical, R&B; I also listen to metal (e.g mostly instrumental, melodic, and symphonic tracks). Thank you!    

With no amp, the Audio Technica ATH-AD900 is a good choice.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #27,186 of 29,490

MDR ma900

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #27,187 of 29,490
hey folks,

i am new in this hifi stuff and i've got the sens hd 202's for couple of years now. unfortunately they have started falling apart in the hands of my gf plus i think its time for something else.

i live in Bulgaria where the market for headphones is not that big but the prices are. so, i am looking for something around 70-100 $. i will list below some cans that fit these prices (looking from the bulgarian market) and i would be reeeeally thankful if you could provide more insight and help me choose. i listen to 320Kbps and FLAC music coming from the PC out of a DYI USB Headphone DAC. I will also use it for gaming.

i kinda like the idea of trying an open-ear headphone with better sound stage.

this is what i have gathered from my search:

1) Audio Technica ATH-AD300 - these are for now my first choice. other options that i am considering are ATH-M30, ATH-T300, or even the SJ33 (although they are portable and half the price)
2) Sennheiser - here i am really confused. a lot of option for that price range. HD429, HD439, HD449, HD215
3) Beyerdynamic DTX-710
4) Prodpipe Pro 580 or 780
5) Alessandro MS1 - i don't know about these....with the shipping they will be more than the price range i am looking in.
6) AKG K514 MKII - these are prolly the last in my list.

these are pretty much all the good available brands here (except the alessandro) and are around the same price. the ATH-AD300 are the most expensive ones. except the price range, i would like to get good comfort and maybe soundstage and clear sound. don't care about bass that much. i don't know if this is any helpful or i've just thrown a bunch of products and made it chaotic. of course i don't mind if you throw some other brands on the list. i will check whether they are available here and if the prices are similar. just to give you a clue, the AD700 cost 100$ on amazon and here they cost 250$ :)

thank you kindly in advance for your tips.

cheers!

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #27,188 of 29,490
Quote:
hey folks,

i am new in this hifi stuff and i've got the sens hd 202's for couple of years now. unfortunately they have started falling apart in the hands of my gf plus i think its time for something else.

i live in Bulgaria where the market for headphones is not that big but the prices are. so, i am looking for something around 70-100 $. i will list below some cans that fit these prices (looking from the bulgarian market) and i would be reeeeally thankful if you could provide more insight and help me choose. i listen to 320Kbps and FLAC music coming from the PC out of a DYI USB Headphone DAC. I will also use it for gaming.

i kinda like the idea of trying an open-ear headphone with better sound stage.

this is what i have gathered from my search:

1) Audio Technica ATH-AD300 - these are for now my first choice. other options that i am considering are ATH-M30, ATH-T300, or even the SJ33 (although they are portable and half the price)
2) Sennheiser - here i am really confused. a lot of option for that price range. HD429, HD439, HD449, HD215
3) Beyerdynamic DTX-710
4) Prodpipe Pro 580 or 780
5) Alessandro MS1 - i don't know about these....with the shipping they will be more than the price range i am looking in.
6) AKG K514 MKII - these are prolly the last in my list.

these are pretty much all the good available brands here (except the alessandro) and are around the same price. the ATH-AD300 are the most expensive ones. except the price range, i would like to get good comfort and maybe soundstage and clear sound. don't care about bass that much. i don't know if this is any helpful or i've just thrown a bunch of products and made it chaotic. of course i don't mind if you throw some other brands on the list. i will check whether they are available here and if the prices are similar. just to give you a clue, the AD700 cost 100$ on amazon and here they cost 250$ :)

thank you kindly in advance for your tips.

cheers!

Is buying from ebay an option?

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #27,189 of 29,490
Hello audioholics!

I'm looking to buy some budget headphones, and after hours (and hours... Blimey there's a lot of headphones!) and I have tried to narrow it down to the best of my ability.

My budget lies around 70$ (45£) (which is realistically around 50-60$ if you adjust to price difference between US and EU). I must admit, I'm in over my head here. I've read a ton, and in the end it has just resulted in numbers and brands meshing into an indistinguishable blur. Reading can never compare to actually experiencing the headphones, but unfortunately I don't live near any specialized audio stores.

My priority is: Sound quality -> Build -> Comfort -> Design -> Isolation

I lean slightly towards a bit of bass emphasis, but not to an extent were it takes away from the middle and higher ranges all too much. I do listen to a lot of hiphop and electronic, but I really listen to almost any genre, so I'd rather that my hiphop-preference didn't hamper my experience with orchestral, jazz, soul etc. I'll also be using them for some casual music production.

I'm aware that I sound too expectant of this price range, but I really hate to do stuff like this on a budget, so I have this inner need to get the very best value for my money. I'll buy a good set of cans when I get some space in my economy.

I have plucked out the following:

PIONEER SE MJ751 - 45£ (price in Denmark)

NOONTEC ZORO - 45£

NUMARK PHX PRO - 45£

AKG K450 - 44£

PANASONIC RP-THF600E-S 40£

AKG K81 DJ 36-39£

And the stupid thing is that I could go on. It's really hard when you have no experience with the headphones. I have left out the various Sennheisers, because honestly, I can't wrap my head around all the various model numbers. Any thoughts or suggestions? Experiences with these models? Did I leave something out that I should consider? How are you doing today? Nice weather, isn't it?

I'll leave it at that for now, and see if anyone has any feedback.

Thank you for your time,
Seb

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #27,190 of 29,490
Hello audioholics!

I'm looking to buy some budget headphones, and after hours (and hours... Blimey there's a lot of headphones!) and I have tried to narrow it down to the best of my ability.

My budget lies around 70$ (45£) (which is realistically around 50-60$ if you adjust to price difference between US and EU). I must admit, I'm in over my head here. I've read a ton, and in the end it has just resulted in numbers and brands meshing into an indistinguishable blur. Reading can never compare to actually experiencing the headphones, but unfortunately I don't live near any specialized audio stores.

My priority is: Sound quality -> Build -> Comfort -> Design -> Isolation

I lean slightly towards a bit of bass emphasis, but not to an extent were it takes away from the middle and higher ranges all too much. I do listen to a lot of hiphop and electronic, but I really listen to almost any genre, so I'd rather that my hiphop-preference didn't hamper my experience with orchestral, jazz, soul etc. I'll also be using them for some casual music production.

I'm aware that I sound too expectant of this price range, but I really hate to do stuff like this on a budget, so I have this inner need to get the very best value for my money. I'll buy a good set of cans when I get some space in my economy.

I have plucked out the following:

PIONEER SE MJ751
ir

- 45£ (price in Denmark)

NOONTEC ZORO
ir

- 45£

NUMARK PHX PRO
ir

- 45£

AKG K450
ir

- 44£

PANASONIC RP-THF600E-S
ir

40£

AKG K81 DJ
ir

36-39£

And the stupid thing is that I could go on. It's really hard when you have no experience with the headphones. I have left out the various Sennheisers, because honestly, I can't wrap my head around all the various model numbers. Any thoughts or suggestions? Experiences with these models? Did I leave something out that I should consider? How are you doing today? Nice weather, isn't it?

I'll leave it at that for now, and see if anyone has any feedback.

Thank you for your time,
Seb

Have you looked at the Creative Aurvana Live!? It doesn't get much better than that within your budget. You can also look very cheap and check out the Monoprice 8323.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #27,191 of 29,490
Quote:
Have you looked at the Creative Aurvana Live!? It doesn't get much better than that within your budget. You can also look very cheap and check out the Monoprice 8323.

I was actually set on buying those a few days ago, when I found them at around 40£ new. But, I hesitated, thinking that I should do a bit of research first, then the CAL's sold out and the price flew back up to 10£ above my budget. I'm keeping a look out for them over the next days, but I have decided not to break my budget this time.

Thanks for the reply.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #27,192 of 29,490
Hey guys, recently Ive been looking for another new headphone that I can use while sitting at my desk enjoying my music, as well as some light gaming. In the past months Ive really grown away from my LP2s bloated bass, and my Zoros clamping pressure, both have begun to fatigue my ears after about an hour of listening. And I actually plan on selling both sometime in the future.

But for now Im looking for a new can that I will mainly be using to listen to my more treble hungry music such as Metallica, Guns N' Roses, AC/CD, and Bon Jovi. But I will also be using it to play a few games on my laptop such as FPSs, so a good soundstage and positional accuracy would be great. Now I know it probably isnt alot of to go off of, but I am not looking to spend much over $70 at the moment. Reason being is because Im saving my money to purchase Samsungs new Galaxy phone later this month. At the current moment I do not own an amp of any type, I was gonna save my amp experience for when I could afford to buy some Schiit gear with some great hi end headphones.

Now Ive already looked at a few cans but couldnt get a definite reading on how they may perform with the things I want them too. Those cans being; 

1. AKG K240 Studio
  2. Creative Aurvana Live
  3. Sennheiser HD429 
  4. Takstar HI2050

I looked into all 3 of those and saw some good reviews, some terrible reviews, so I really wasnt sure about any of them. Im completely open to new suggestions as I dont have my heart set on anything right now. Thanks for the help!

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #27,194 of 29,490
Does anyone know the difference between these:

Superlux:
HD681
HD681Mkii
HD681B
HD681Evo

The 681 is for sale in Asia and it looks just like the EVO photo but the phrase "EVO" is not to be seen.

Anyone know if the Taiwan market names them differently?

Also is the Samson that different than the 688bs I have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back