++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #27,151 of 29,490
Hey guys I'm looking for a pair of headphones with a budget of $200-$250
Music:rock, electric (no dubstep), jazz, folk.
I'll be using these only at home and would like open headphones.
I do not have an amp yet but I plan on getting one in the near future .

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #27,154 of 29,490
Quote:

DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm version (assuming that you are OK with open or semi-open cans).

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #27,155 of 29,490
If you guys could recommend me some headphones that match the following requirements, that'd be great.

USE
I will be using them with my PC and Google Nexus Tablet, without an amp. I'll be listening to them in my room and on long car journeys so portability isn't an issue.
COMFORT
I'll be listening to the headphones for long periods of time so comfort is a must.
GENRE
I listen to Drum and Bass, Dubstep, Electronica and Hip-Hop, so good bass is essential.
PRICE RANGE
Anywhere less than £80 ($120)
LOOKS AND BUILD
Looks aren't very important as long as they're either black, grey or a similar colour. They must be quite durable however.

I've looked at a few headphones myself, and the Audio Technica ATH-WS55i looked quite good for my requirements, would you guys agree?

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #27,156 of 29,490
Hey all, new here. I got my income tax recently and I want to step up from my iPhone ear buds to some full-size, closed over-ear headphones. I have really small ears so buds and on-ear headphones are extremely uncomfortable for me to wear. Price point isn't exactly a deciding factor but I dont see myself spending more than 250 for headphones that will be only for recreation. When I got my check, I put on my clothes and told my brother I was going to go buy some Beats Studios. He laughed at me and pointed me to this website. Initial research tells me that Beats are ripoffs. Most of The music I listen to is Hip Hop and Chillstep. With some punk rock thrown in there. Can Anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance

Here are some of my favorite songs. I have VERY broad interests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9iY6yPrSzY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MjLKjPc7q8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx4-8zxRj3U

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #27,157 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all, new here. I got my income tax recently and I want to step up from my iPhone ear buds to some full-size, closed over-ear headphones. I have really small ears so buds and on-ear headphones are extremely uncomfortable for me to wear. Price point isn't exactly a deciding factor but I dont see myself spending more than 250 for headphones that will be only for recreation. When I got my check, I put on my clothes and told my brother I was going to go buy some Beats Studios. He laughed at me and pointed me to this website. Initial research tells me that Beats are ripoffs. Most of The music I listen to is Hip Hop and Chillstep. With some punk rock like The Foo Fighters and Rise Against thrown in there. Can Anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance

Are you just going to be listening to these out of your iPhone?  Are you willing to buy a headphone amp as well if necessary?

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #27,159 of 29,490
Quote:

IMHO, go for either DT880pro or DT990pro's. If most of your listening goes towards rock and electric music, then take the 990's,  if you're more leaning towards jazz and folk, then the DT880's.  If you've never had good quality headphones in this price range, then go for DT990's, because you will most likely find DT880's boring.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #27,160 of 29,490
I don’t particularly have a budget, good value is more important.  I will probably be buying online like ebay, maybe used.

I already have hd280, esw9, dt880 600.  This will be used with laptop, maybe mp3 player.  My experience with amps is that dt880 sound much better coming out of my receiver VS the ipod alone.  I’d prefer a phone that doesn’t need an amp.  But I might get one later, if it needs one.  The max I will probably go for is something like E12.

Here are the features I am looking for, in order of priority.  Clean sound is implied.

Closed, over the ear phones. 

COMFORTable

Durable, durable and foldable,

Can be used for one ear monitoring. 

I find that the hd280 clamp too hard, so mine don’t get used.  I went to a local big box store to try some on.  Out of their displays, I found hdj2000 and k550 most comfortable.  Some of the Sen were ok too, but the round cup works better for me a as it spreads the contact pressure more. 

K550 were great, but I read AKG sound best with classical, and mine will be used for house/d&b type of music.  K267 could be an option, but I’ve been reading about the hinge failing and breaking.  If I buy them used, will it still covered under manufacturer?

A lot of people here like m100, but I wonder about their sound, and their looks... and comfort.  They also come with a case but the point of getting a durable and foldable headphones, to me, is to be able to just throw them in the bag. 

Can someone please suggest other options? 

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #27,161 of 29,490
IMHO, go for either DT880pro or DT990pro's. If most of your listening goes towards rock and electric music, then take the 990's,  if you're more leaning towards jazz and folk, then the DT880's.  If you've never had good quality headphones in this price range, then go for DT990's, because you will most likely find DT880's boring.
I am making my first big purchase into this price range. Until now I've never owned anything higher than some wireless sennheisers which were around 70 dollars. Also the music I manly listen to is electric and jazz.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #27,162 of 29,490
Not sure where else to ask this question...

I know a store in NJ that can customize M50's (and potentially other cans) so that the cord is removable. I live in Los Angeles and I would prefer to not ship new cans out that far and wait a while before being able to enjoy them. Does anyone know a well reputed store in Los Angeles that does similar work?

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #27,163 of 29,490
Quote:
Not sure where else to ask this question...

I know a store in NJ that can customize M50's (and potentially other cans) so that the cord is removable. I live in Los Angeles and I would prefer to not ship new cans out that far and wait a while before being able to enjoy them. Does anyone know a well reputed store in Los Angeles that does similar work?

You could do the work yourself and likely save a lot of money, but if you don't want to do that I'm sure that someone from that area will be able to recommend something.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #27,164 of 29,490
Hi all,
First post. I've been looking for months for something that doesn't appear to exist: closed-back, around-ear audiophile headphones for classical music that are light weight. I presently have the Beyerdynamic DT660s, which sound superb but are just too heavy on my head (12-13 oz.) causing some neck pain with extended listening.  The Sennheiser Momentums would fit the bill at an amazing 6.7 oz., but the earpads are just too small for me.  Any suggestions? Thanks.
Mike

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #27,165 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,
First post. I've been looking for months for something that doesn't appear to exist: closed-back, around-ear audiophile headphones for classical music that are light weight. I presently have the Beyerdynamic DT660s, which sound superb but are just too heavy on my head (12-13 oz.) causing some neck pain with extended listening.  The Sennheiser Momentums would fit the bill at an amazing 6.7 oz., but the earpads are just too small for me.  Any suggestions? Thanks.
Mike

The Momentums are on-ear, rather than over-ear; that may account for you saying the pads are too small.

What is your budget?

Weight is subjective.  If they sit on your head properly, you may find something like the Audio Technica ATH-A900X (12 oz from what I can see) or AKG K550 (can't find the weight) to be just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back