++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #26,836 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, there are upgrades within your budget--and a good deal more if you are OK with open cans and/or have an amp.

The M50's are far from neutral, so I ask the following with some hesitation:  What sound signature that you are seeking?

Something similar to my CALs would be nice. Pronounced bass, but not overwhelming. I also tried my friends V-Moda M80s, which I REALLY liked, but I can't stand on ear headphones.

The M80's are basshead lite cans and are less balanced than your CALS!  That leaves me at loss. 

Maybe someone else can recommend some basshead lite cans that are over ear, don't need an amp; and are within your budget.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #26,837 of 29,490
Quote:
I have a Lyr & Bifrost combo. I currently have AKG 702 and Senn HD600. Would a set o LCD-2s be a big improvment and worth while if I do not plan to upgrade my amp/DAC combo?

The Lyr will drive just about any hard to drive can and certainly the LCD-2.  Whether the LCD-2 is a big improvement over the HD 600 depends in large part on what sound signature you prefer.  For many the HE 500 is a cheaper big improvement over the HD 600.  The HE 500 has a sound signature that is closer to that of the excellent HD 600.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #26,838 of 29,490
Quote:
Where did you hear that?

The HD 518 is the entry level to Senns open line of (what they call--with some justification) audiophile cans.  Above them are the HD 558 and HD 598.

yes i know, but here is where i read that here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/628419/bought-hd-518 i might have read it wrong, but for what i understand, the second post talks about both headphones, not just the one that the original poster says it is dolby so it confuses me, maybe it is because i'm not that good with english. that is why i need clarification, i currently own the hd 429 and 202 but i would like something with a better soundstage so that's why i'll go for the open headphones, only if they are not dolby. again i may be confused with what the post says so please correct me.
Thank you.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #26,839 of 29,490
I have a Lyr & Bifrost combo. I currently have AKG 702 and Senn HD600. Would a set o LCD-2s be a big improvment and worth while if I do not plan to upgrade my amp/DAC combo?

Assuming you like the sound signature of LCD-2s (you should find out before buying), headphone upgrade should provide the most improvement. With decent gears, IMHO: recording quality > headphones > amp or DAC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cables

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #26,840 of 29,490
Claud,

I personally went from the HD600 to the LCD-2.2 and in my opinion, the jump in sound quality is pretty dramatic (dangerous word to use of an audio forum I know).

Three things that really stand out in my mind about the LCD-2: tighter more realistic base, the mids are very special, vocals sound much more lifelike. Overall, just a more realistic & transparent sound all around.

I am still keeping my HD600 for TV and movies though, for their crazy good comfort, and hey, they sound good too. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #26,842 of 29,490
Hey there folks! I'm seeking out a set of headphones in the $300-$400 range.

I'll be using these for both home use and travel, so I need them to be closed-back. I would also prefer a good level of noise isolation and sturdy construction. Of course, audio quality is a very high priority. I listen to a variety of genres, so I need them to be appropriate for pretty much everything (classical, folk, metal, electronic, etc.). I don't use a headphone amp and I prefer to stay away from EQ.

I've pared down my list to the following:

• PSB M4U 2 — Enthusiastic reviews from a variety of sources, including The Wirecutter. I love the fact that they sound great in passive mode but also feature an active mode and noise cancellation — perfect for travel. I'm a bit worried about the construction, though. It's mostly plastic and there have been reports of cracking (although this was supposedly fixed?). I also want to make sure that they sound good in passive mode compared to other passive phones in this price range, especially compared to their brother the PSB M4U 1. My worry is that they get reviewed as good "for noise-cancelling headphones", when really I'm much more interested in how they compare to non-cancelling phones.
  • Sennheiser Momentum — I hear amazing things about the build quality, noise isolation, and tone.
  • V-MODA M-100 — On the one hand, I love some of the features that these headphones have, including fantastic build quality, interchangable faceplates, headset attachment support, and portability. I also really like that the community had some input into their development. On the other hand, I'm very concerned about reports of them being bass-heavy. (One reviewer even said that they were bass-heavy WITH bass reduction!) As I said, I listen to a variety of genres and I prefer to avoid EQ. (But I'm also a gamer... so maybe it would be good to have that extra punch as an option?)
  • V-MODA M-80 — Possibly a better option given my criteria? Not sure.
  • Beyerdynamic DT-1350 — Supposedly great construction, neutral tone, and amazing noise isolation for passive phones.
  • Sony MDR-1R — These keep cropping up in discussions with great reviews, but I don't know how they compare to the above.
  • Sennheiser HD25-1 II/Amperior
  • AKG K550 — A bit bulky for me, but I see them brought up a lot.
  • Shure SRH840/940
  • Beyerdynamic DT770 — None of the headphones above seem to rate very highly for comfort (aside from the Sonys?), while these ones do. However, they're at a slightly lower price range, so I assume that the quality must be lower as well.

Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #26,843 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all, I've had my CALs for about a year now and I love them, but I want to upgrade. Looking to spend about $200.

I really enjoy the sound style of the CALs, but I think it's time for something a little more balanced. However, I've heard the ATH-M50s and those are too neutral for my tastes. My source is my sansa clip + as well as my desktop and laptop (realtek hd audio, onboard chip).

I've searched before on what is a good upgrade from the CALs, but couldn't really find a straight answer. I just want the upgrade to be substantial enough to warrant spending the money. Thanks

You should check out the M-Audio Q40. It's a really good can with very good bass impact while still presenting a nice overall sound. BH Photo has them on sale for $90 now. For better comfort and sound you should also consider shifting the pads. I found the Hifiman pads to be the best but many uses the Beyer 770 pads as well.  Total including new pads would be about $120.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #26,844 of 29,490
Thanks for the help guys. I have already done custom powercords, ICs (Luminous) (Stereovox) and have lots of NOS tubes. I guess LCD-2.2 is my next move. Leather or vegan?

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #26,845 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey there folks! I'm seeking out a set of headphones in the $300-$400 range.

I'll be using these for both home use and travel, so I need them to be closed-back. I would also prefer a good level of noise isolation and sturdy construction. Of course, audio quality is a very high priority. I listen to a variety of genres, so I need them to be appropriate for pretty much everything (classical, folk, metal, electronic, etc.). I don't use a headphone amp and I prefer to stay away from EQ.

I've pared down my list to the following:
  1. PSB M4U 2 — Enthusiastic reviews from a variety of sources, including The Wirecutter. I love the fact that they sound great in passive mode but also feature an active mode and noise cancellation — perfect for travel. I'm a bit worried about the construction, though. It's mostly plastic and there have been reports of cracking (although this was supposedly fixed?). I also want to make sure that they sound good in passive mode compared to other passive phones in this price range, especially compared to their brother the PSB M4U 1. My worry is that they get reviewed as good "for noise-cancelling headphones", when really I'm much more interested in how they compare to non-cancelling phones.
  2. Sennheiser Momentum — I hear amazing things about the build quality, noise isolation, and tone.
  3. V-MODA M-100 — On the one hand, I love some of the features that these headphones have, including fantastic build quality, interchangable faceplates, headset attachment support, and portability. I also really like that the community had some input into their development. On the other hand, I'm very concerned about reports of them being bass-heavy. (One reviewer even said that they were bass-heavy WITH bass reduction!) As I said, I listen to a variety of genres and I prefer to avoid EQ. (But I'm also a gamer... so maybe it would be good to have that extra punch as an option?)
  4. V-MODA M-80 — Possibly a better option given my criteria? Not sure.
  5. Beyerdynamic DT-1350 — Supposedly great construction, neutral tone, and amazing noise isolation for passive phones.
  6. Sony MDR-1R — These keep cropping up in discussions with great reviews, but I don't know how they compare to the above.
  7. Sennheiser HD25-1 II/Amperior
  8. AKG K550 — A bit bulky for me, but I see them brought up a lot.
  9. Shure SRH840/940
  10. Beyerdynamic DT770 — None of the headphones above seem to rate very highly for comfort (aside from the Sonys?), while these ones do. However, they're at a slightly lower price range, so I assume that the quality must be lower as well.

Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

To help you shorten your list, I wold consider the M100, and the DT1350. The M100 because it has great build quality, easy to drive, and is great for portability with its mic cable. The DT1350 because its the best SQ of the bunch, easy to drive, very portable (no mic cable). In regards to bass however, the DT1350 may appear bassier because it goes alot deeper, but its flatter than the M100 in the bass region. Hope i helped you a bit.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #26,846 of 29,490
Hello all. Trying to avoid starting a new thread, but I want as much input as feasible.

I am looking for headphones to be used primarily at home or in the office. Looking largely in the 200-300 dollar range, but could be persuaded to move a bit upward. No amp/dac yet, I'll make that decision after the headphone purchase. Will plan to use with MBP, iMac, and iPhone 4s.

Thus far, I've focused on the HD 598s, B&W P5s, and AKG K 550s. From these you can probably tell style is at least a bit important to me, but not for the traditional reasons. Rather, I need something that won't look too aggressive/out of place in my office (attorney). So although a lot of people like the looks of them, the DNAs, Beats, etc. would be out for the same reason. If all things were equal I'd already have the P5s, if that tells you what I'm looking for in appearance. I'm not going to client meetings with them, but I don't want them look bizarre sitting on my desk.

I listen to largely Americana, folk, classic rock, classical, blues and jazz. Very little rap or hard rock. Some country but it tends toward the folksy/Texas variety. Would love to have the portable option, but more for the minimalist look many carry rather than my need to listen to them on the go. Isolation isn't important to me, my office and home are quiet.

Experience thus far is largely with IEMs. My go to are Triple Fis. Part of my question is if I went with a more portable, like the P5s, is the upgrade from the UEs going to be there? I have listened to a lot of popular models of headphones, so obviously I know the Sennheisers will provide the immersion in sound I'm looking for, but will the P5s nonetheless be an improvement? What other suggestions may fit my need for "business casual" headphones that still impress?

Thanks for your help, excited to be here.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #26,847 of 29,490
Hey guys, figured I'd ask my question here before making a new thread. My hd558's need replacing and I need some advice. I want to get either the hd598's or the hd25-11's. I like hd25's but not sure if they would be a downgrade in sound quality? If so, I'll just get the hd598's. Any input would be appreciated!

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #26,849 of 29,490
Hey guys, figured I'd ask my question here before making a new thread. My hd558's need replacing and I need some advice. I want to get either the hd598's or the hd25-11's. I like hd25's but not sure if they would be a downgrade in sound quality? If so, I'll just get the hd598's. Any input would be appreciated!

Your safer bet would be 598s, which sound similar to 558s and are comfortable as well. 25s have a different sound signature and are less comfortable (they are on-ear headphones that clamp hard, which you may want to avoid if you have a big head).

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #26,850 of 29,490
Quote:

From what I've heard, the HD598 would be a much better buy for overall sound quality.  The HD 25s are closed so you can't really expect them to compete with an open can like the HD598s.  You would probably only get the HD25s for portable use.  Since your probably used to the hd558's bass, there should be enough bass for you.  I have neither but I'm pretty sure I'm right.  

PS: The HD25s have more bass, and should be less comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back