++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #26,851 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all. Trying to avoid starting a new thread, but I want as much input as feasible.

I am looking for headphones to be used primarily at home or in the office. Looking largely in the 200-300 dollar range, but could be persuaded to move a bit upward. No amp/dac yet, I'll make that decision after the headphone purchase. Will plan to use with MBP, iMac, and iPhone 4s.

Thus far, I've focused on the HD 598s, B&W P5s, and AKG K 550s. From these you can probably tell style is at least a bit important to me, but not for the traditional reasons. Rather, I need something that won't look too aggressive/out of place in my office (attorney). So although a lot of people like the looks of them, the DNAs, Beats, etc. would be out for the same reason. If all things were equal I'd already have the P5s, if that tells you what I'm looking for in appearance. I'm not going to client meetings with them, but I don't want them look bizarre sitting on my desk.

I listen to largely Americana, folk, classic rock, classical, blues and jazz. Very little rap or hard rock. Some country but it tends toward the folksy/Texas variety. Would love to have the portable option, but more for the minimalist look many carry rather than my need to listen to them on the go. Isolation isn't important to me, my office and home are quiet.

Experience thus far is largely with IEMs. My go to are Triple Fis. Part of my question is if I went with a more portable, like the P5s, is the upgrade from the UEs going to be there? I have listened to a lot of popular models of headphones, so obviously I know the Sennheisers will provide the immersion in sound I'm looking for, but will the P5s nonetheless be an improvement? What other suggestions may fit my need for "business casual" headphones that still impress?

Thanks for your help, excited to be here.

You should definitely be satisfied with the HD598s, but just in case, here are other recommendations:

MDR MA900
AKG Q701 + Fiio E11
DT880/DT990 250Ohm
Ath AD900x
Fidelio L1/X1

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #26,853 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the additional things to check out. The Sonys are definitely going to require more research. Any thoughts on the ATHESW9A for my needs?

They should sound good, just not better than any open cans (for your genres at least).  The main problems you would have would be build quality related.  Their built very poorly.  If you want a more portable can (not better than the open ones) then you should consider:

Sony MDR1R
V-Moda M100
Sennheiser Momentum

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #26,854 of 29,490
Quote:
You should definitely be satisfied with the HD598s, but just in case, here are other recommendations:

MDR MA900
AKG Q701 + Fiio E11
DT880/DT990 250Ohm
Ath AD900x
Fidelio L1/X1

Ahh damn it! No I have read a little about the Fidelio X1's, I am in even more of a pickle!

I was pretty set on Beyer 880's or maybe 990's or maybe Sennheiser HD6xx's.

Now there's an added pair into the mix!

Anyone any comments on this shortlist if I gave you these keywords of importance:

COMFY / PUNCHY & WEIGHTY / SCALE & SOUNDTAGE / GOOD VOCALS

No issues with Open-Backed and not worried about portability...

???

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #26,855 of 29,490
Quote:
Ahh damn it! No I have read a little about the Fidelio X1's, I am in even more of a pickle!

I was pretty set on Beyer 880's or maybe 990's or maybe Sennheiser HD6xx's.

Now there's an added pair into the mix!

Anyone any comments on this shortlist if I gave you these keywords of importance:

COMFY / PUNCHY & WEIGHTY / SCALE & SOUNDTAGE / GOOD VOCALS

No issues with Open-Backed and not worried about portability...

???

Oh, and also Circumaural!

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #26,857 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all. Trying to avoid starting a new thread, but I want as much input as feasible.

I am looking for headphones to be used primarily at home or in the office. Looking largely in the 200-300 dollar range, but could be persuaded to move a bit upward. No amp/dac yet, I'll make that decision after the headphone purchase. Will plan to use with MBP, iMac, and iPhone 4s.

Thus far, I've focused on the HD 598s, B&W P5s, and AKG K 550s. From these you can probably tell style is at least a bit important to me, but not for the traditional reasons. Rather, I need something that won't look too aggressive/out of place in my office (attorney). So although a lot of people like the looks of them, the DNAs, Beats, etc. would be out for the same reason. If all things were equal I'd already have the P5s, if that tells you what I'm looking for in appearance. I'm not going to client meetings with them, but I don't want them look bizarre sitting on my desk.

I listen to largely Americana, folk, classic rock, classical, blues and jazz. Very little rap or hard rock. Some country but it tends toward the folksy/Texas variety. Would love to have the portable option, but more for the minimalist look many carry rather than my need to listen to them on the go. Isolation isn't important to me, my office and home are quiet.

Experience thus far is largely with IEMs. My go to are Triple Fis. Part of my question is if I went with a more portable, like the P5s, is the upgrade from the UEs going to be there? I have listened to a lot of popular models of headphones, so obviously I know the Sennheisers will provide the immersion in sound I'm looking for, but will the P5s nonetheless be an improvement? What other suggestions may fit my need for "business casual" headphones that still impress?

You have some great options identified already. Maybe add some "woodies" like the AT ESW9 as well for a classy look? They would have the advantage of being more private and sound proof as well.

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #26,858 of 29,490
Quote:
They should sound good, just not better than any open cans (for your genres at least).  The main problems you would have would be build quality related.  Their built very poorly.  If you want a more portable can (not better than the open ones) then you should consider:

Sony MDR1R
V-Moda M100
Sennheiser Momentum

You think the ESW9 is poorly built? I think they are gorgeous. My biggest beef build wise would be the cable seeming rather cheap.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #26,861 of 29,490
Just like to say thanks guys as after many Q,s and one or two threads in different sections on the forum plus 36 out of the last 48 hours spent reading reviews,threads and posts I finally decided to bite the bullet and get some KRK KNS 8400....gonna have fun explaining this one to the mother XD....

Oh well all I ask is that there better than my super cheap Sony MDR-XD200's I currently own.

So you might make a addict / audiophile out of me yet!

So once again thx for all your help and putting up with my threads and As in various sections.

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #26,862 of 29,490
Quote:

They are all well regarded.  All are very establishment, at least in terms of brand.

I'd go with the HD 598.  As the only open can, it will give you the best sound stage.  The only thing to "worry" about is the color.  That may be a good, bad or neutral thing depending on you firm's culture.

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #26,864 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, figured I'd ask my question here before making a new thread. My hd558's need replacing and I need some advice. I want to get either the hd598's or the hd25-11's. I like hd25's but not sure if they would be a downgrade in sound quality? If so, I'll just get the hd598's. Any input would be appreciated!

The HD 598 are open and will give you the sound stage that the closed and portable HD 25-1 II cannot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back