++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #26,821 of 29,490
looking for an upgrade from ath m50 in the around 200-300 dollar section T_T preferably deep ear cups (my ears are quite liek monkey ears)

listen to punk, top 50, rap ( macklemore, eminem mostly), jazz (buble)

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #26,824 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey man thx for the feedback, hmm i see their in the close price range havent found many good comparison reviews. would it be worth the upgrade? 

Going off of memory (which isn't the most accurate thing in Head-Fi) I own a pair of the DT 770 Limited Editions and once owned a pair of M50s. I think the DT 770 is closer to reference open headphones in the $250-$400 range, while the M50 is at least a tier below.

The main benefits to upgrading would be better comfort, less congestion (better instrument separation and a larger soundstage), and less grain. DT 770 also scales better with dac/amp upgrades.

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #26,825 of 29,490
I don't have any experience with the M50s, so I can't speak there.

I can say that the DT770s are super comfy. They can be a little flat, but right now my preference is for the Ultrasone Pro line, which are super bright...just so you know my bias.

The thing about the DT770s is that you will almost definitely want an amp with them. They can get adequate volume running off a laptop, but not a phone or iPod. They are absolutely a great all-around set of cans. They have great isolation too.

You could look at the Ultrasone HFI 780s. I compared those directly myself, and found the 780s to have a more realistic sound - and I found for like $150 online, so you know, that ain't bad. The ear cups were a little shallower than I like though...so there's that.

You could also try the Ultrasone PRO 750s. You can get those for under $300. In fact you can probably find the Ultrasone PRO 900s for under $300 too. 

Another very small downside to the DT770s is that they don't fold up at all, so if you want to carry them around you just have to grab them as they are. I did that for a while, and it really wasn't that big of a deal.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #26,826 of 29,490
Quote:
Best all round Headphone for £100 / $117 / $150.

I listen to everything from the radio to rock....the only things I don't listen to is rap.

So it needs to be a durable all round jack of all trades, although I do like thongs a bit on the Bassy side, but I prefer better all round sound to just a bassy monster, I don't want to sacrifice mids and highs for lows.

Thx.

The M50, SRH840, and KRK8400 would be good choices in this price range. 

The M50 is slightly v-shaped, the SRH840 has a bit less treble and a bit more mids, and the KRK8400 is supposedly the most neutral of them all (only one I haven't tried).

I would not recommend the SRH840 if you have a large head. It sounds great, but I never really got the headband to work for me.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #26,827 of 29,490
ive added that to my shortlist of cans now. im sliiightly worried about getting an open headphone

do you guys have any opinion on the maddogs? sorry about hte indecisiveness not much play money (college/university student)

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #26,828 of 29,490
Quote:
ive added that to my shortlist of cans now. im sliiightly worried about getting an open headphone

do you guys have any opinion on the maddogs? sorry about hte indecisiveness not much play money (college/university student)

The DT770 is a closed headphone. If you want to go with an open headphone, most open headphones in the ~$250 price range (DT 880/990, K701, HD 600) require a decent dac and amp to sound good. The Audio Technica AD900X/AD1000X or Grado SR225/SR325 are less demanding and would allow you to get away with less, but are more niche.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard the Mad Dogs, so I can't comment on how they sound.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #26,829 of 29,490
Quote:

The Mad Dogs are a very good can for the money.  They compete is the same league as the DT 880, HD 600, HD 650 and HE 400.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #26,830 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking to pick up a pair of headphones and amp
So far i've looked into 598's, ATH- m50's, ATH A900x's,ATH  [size=small]A900's, [/size][size=small]SRH840's,[/size][size=small] DT 990's and DT 770's and ATH AD900x's[/size]

What's your budget? ~300-400 euros total
Where/how do you plan on using these can? Gaming,Music,Movies and they will be worn only at home.
What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?Open, they will be worn for long periods of time.
What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?, Listening to jazz,hip hop,electronic,trance,eurobeat, pop and rock (i listen to anything i come accross really) FLAC and mp3 320kbps 
What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using? Xonar dx > the amp i am recommended > the headphones 
Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?An Accurate sound stage with a good balance between everything else

I am currently leaning towards picking up the AD900x's since they improve on all of the previous versions faults and seem like a very nice pair of open cans, i have no idea what amp to use though so any input on that would be great, thanks.

Bumping this

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #26,831 of 29,490
Quote:
Yes, there are upgrades within your budget--and a good deal more if you are OK with open cans and/or have an amp.

The M50's are far from neutral, so I ask the following with some hesitation:  What sound signature that you are seeking?

Something similar to my CALs would be nice. Pronounced bass, but not overwhelming. I also tried my friends V-Moda M80s, which I REALLY liked, but I can't stand on ear headphones.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #26,832 of 29,490
I have a Lyr & Bifrost combo. I currently have AKG 702 and Senn HD600. Would a set o LCD-2s be a big improvment and worth while if I do not plan to upgrade my amp/DAC combo?

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #26,833 of 29,490
hello, i am interested in getting the sennheiser hd 518, but reading somewhere else in the forum, someone said that the 518 are dolby headphones, but i cant find anything that says that on sennheiser's website, i would really appreciate some clarification about that.
Thank you for your time, sorry for my english.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #26,834 of 29,490
Quote:
hello, i am interested in getting the sennheiser hd 518, but reading somewhere else in the forum, someone said that the 518 are dolby headphones, but i cant find anything that says that on sennheiser's website, i would really appreciate some clarification about that.
Thank you for your time, sorry for my english.

Where did you hear that?

The HD 518 is the entry level to Senns open line of (what they call--with some justification) audiophile cans.  Above them are the HD 558 and HD 598.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #26,835 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Looking to pick up a pair of headphones and amp
So far i've looked into 598's, ATH- m50's, ATH A900x's,ATH  [size=small]A900's, [/size][size=small]SRH840's,[/size][size=small] DT 990's and DT 770's and ATH AD900x's[/size]

What's your budget? ~300-400 euros total
Where/how do you plan on using these can? Gaming,Music,Movies and they will be worn only at home.
What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?Open, they will be worn for long periods of time.
What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?, Listening to jazz,hip hop,electronic,trance,eurobeat, pop and rock (i listen to anything i come accross really) FLAC and mp3 320kbps 
What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using? Xonar dx > the amp i am recommended > the headphones 
Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?An Accurate sound stage with a good balance between everything else

I am currently leaning towards picking up the AD900x's since they improve on all of the previous versions faults and seem like a very nice pair of open cans, i have no idea what amp to use though so any input on that would be great, thanks.

Bumping this

The HD 598 and AD 900X are the best neutral-ish cans on your list, but are not for bassheads of any stripe.  For more bass and less mids look to the Beyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back