++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #26,806 of 29,490
Quote:
Also, I don't find that I need an amp to drive the PRO 750s. I have a DAC amp on the way, and I'm sure it will improve quality, but they still sound great right out of my laptop, and are definitely loud enough.

The problem is not how loud they get.  The problem is that unamped (or under amped) they lose their bass.

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #26,807 of 29,490
Looking for some nice over ear headphones my max is $150 maybe a little over if they are nice enough. I listen to everything like Johnny cash, dubstep, rock, indie, oldies, and rap. I also would like them to look cool.
How are the V-Moda crossfade LPs? They look cool but i seen alot of bad reviews

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #26,808 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for some nice over ear headphones my max is $150 maybe a little over if they are nice enough. I listen to everything like Johnny cash, dubstep, rock, indie, oldies, and rap. I also would like them to look cool.
How are the V-Moda crossfade LPs? They look cool but i seen alot of bad reviews

Goldring DR150 is your best bet for $150. Head-Fi reviews here too. Looks are subjective.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #26,809 of 29,490
I had the V-MODAs. Great bass response, but I found the ear cups were too small - they got uncomfortable over time. Also...after a long time of listening it was like being in a frickin club.

I would also recommend the Ultrasone HFI 780s. I got those for $150 on amazon and they are a really, really amazing value at that price. Very realistic sound.

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #26,811 of 29,490
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread!
I came here with the intent to ask for help but found all my answers just by browsing the tons of pages already here.
You guys are great! Keep up the great work :)

Thanks!

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #26,812 of 29,490
@ KG Jag

Thank you very much for your advice. I'll look into them. Got lots of reading to do hehe.

On a side note, I'm planning to also get a cheap IEM for running/jogging/gym and some general portable use. I'm don't care much about fine details as long as the sq is good enough for me to hear clearly the "eye of the tiger" riff and adequate bass. What I really after is that it doesn't fall off, and durability.

Is the M6 with comply tips a good choice?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #26,813 of 29,490
Quote:
@ KG Jag

Thank you very much for your advice. I'll look into them. Got lots of reading to do hehe.

On a side note, I'm planning to also get a cheap IEM for running/jogging/gym and some general portable use. I'm don't care much about fine details as long as the sq is good enough for me to hear clearly the "eye of the tiger" riff and adequate bass. What I really after is that it doesn't fall off, and durability.

Is the M6 with comply tips a good choice?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad to help.

This section is for full sized headphones only.  There is a recommendations thread in the portable headphones, IEM section of the forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

You'll get the best advice there.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #26,816 of 29,490
Goldring DR150 is your best bet for $150. Head-Fi reviews here
ir

too. Looks are subjective.

Haven't seen a recommendation for these in a while.
Yea they're great cans, I sold a pair for about $70 a little while ago. They definitely hit above their weight class and are pretty underrated imo. Problem is to get the best out of them you need a good amp and the construction is pretty uninspiring.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #26,817 of 29,490
Quote:
Haven't seen a recommendation for these in a while.
Yea they're great cans, I sold a pair for about $70 a little while ago. They definitely hit above their weight class and are pretty underrated imo. Problem is to get the best out of them you need a good amp and the construction is pretty uninspiring.

Very ugly. Let's be honest. :)

I want to hear them though.. have only heard their name thrown around once or twice when I browse.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #26,818 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a friend at work asking about a recommendation and I want to get all of your feedback before I recommend anything to her.
  1. Budget of $100. Could spend a little more if there's something significantly awesome out there that will work for her.
  2. Plans to use them at work and at home. All indoors.
  3. She's shy about her sound leaking out, so they should be closed cans.
  4. Listens to rock, alternative, and a fair amount of female vocalists. Usually listens to low quality source material like Pandora.
  5. Connects directly to an iMac or portable iDevices. Will not be using an amp, so it should be fairly efficient.
  6. She doesn't know the signature she's looking for and physical comfort is key. Says she generally feels her head pounding after a couple hours of listening with some other cans she has (will identify the current model soon), so you'll probably want to recommend something with light clamping force.

Have at it.

A quick update on this. I let her try my MDR-1R and SRH940, each for a day. Figured it would help her and I get a better idea as to what she's looking for since I consider them to be very good, contrasting, closed cans. She preferred the SRH940 because "they sound sparkly" and are "tingling (her) senses". I figured this would be the case considering the music she listens to. She didn't hate the signature of the 1R, but she did hate the pleather as it made her head too hot. She's very sensitive to the clamping pressure and material.

So knowing the original feedback and reading her new feedback which looks like it requires velour pads, what are you guys thinking now?

Quote:
I think that your are torturing here by loaning one of the best cans in its price class--which is double her budget.  He may never be satisfied with a $100 can now.

How did she say the 940 did with poorly recorded/delivered music?

I'm ok with torturing her. Actually, I did disclaim the hell out of it before handing them over, but yeah, I understand what you're saying. She tried it on services such as Pandora and Grooveshark as well as some of her own music and wasn't really bothered by it. She sounded more impressed with the clarity and the female vocals than really criticizing any of the audio artifacts that I'm sure were coming in clear as day.

Feedback? Thoughts? Recommendations?

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #26,819 of 29,490
Best all round Headphone for £100 / $117 / $150.

I listen to everything from the radio to rock....the only things I don't listen to is rap.

So it needs to be a durable all round jack of all trades, although I do like thongs a bit on the Bassy side, but I prefer better all round sound to just a bassy monster, I don't want to sacrifice mids and highs for lows.

Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back