++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 14, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #26,041 of 29,490
Hi ,i'm looking for a new headphone: i listen mainly to rock from '70 to modern and after a lot of readings ( unfortunately here i don't have the opportunity to listen before buying) , i come to an end that HifiMan He-500 and Beyerdynamic T1 would suit my tastes ( i hope i'm right).

At the moment i have a Little Dot MKV, do you think could be a good match for these headphones now or should i have to consider immediatly another amplifier like Violectric V200?

For reference, usually i listen to b&w 803 driven by Nad S300 plugged to Cambridge Audio 840C.

Regards, Filippo

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #26,042 of 29,490
i was wondering what the top closed back headphones are within the $150-$300 price range, i have some experience with the senn hd 25 ii which i very much enjoyed, but was interested in other alternatives available.  shure srh840?  others?

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #26,043 of 29,490
I'm looking for an inexpensive headset for gaming and Skype. I only want to spend about $30 but will consider spending more if it's worth it. I have large head, so I'm reluctant to buy Koss because that brand tends to be tight.

Edit: Must be both Mac and PC compatible.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #26,044 of 29,490
Quote:
that would be my limit under $150 would be nice

Well i can name a few then:
AKG K167 Tiesto- although, i like these much better than the uptowns, $150 amazon
Philips Citiscape Uptown- $100 amazon
V-Moda M80- $150-160 on amazon
Ultrasone HFI 780

For $200, you could get UE6000, which are better than all of those overall (in everyone's opinion)

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #26,045 of 29,490
I know I just said I only want to spend $30, but after looking at reviews I'm considering getting the Plantronics GameCom. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1KJK22/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk Can anyone tell me if this is a good choice or if there are better options out there?

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #26,046 of 29,490
Quote:
Isn't the 7520 just the same thing as the Z1000? They're both pretty neutral?

Ehh, I suppose they aren't from what I'm reading. Alright, I'll be putting this one on my list to check out. So better build and more efficient than the SRH940. I have spent a decent amount of time with the SRH940, so how would you compare the sound quality between the two?

Well here's what I'm going to do with this. I'm able to pick up the SRH940 for $140 practically new, but it's only available like this for the next day. I'm going to go ahead and do that and if it turns out that it's not what I'm looking for, someone is going to get an SRH940 for a very good price (I don't ever look to make a profit with this kind of stuff). At the same time, I'm going to continue to seek out the MDR-7520 just because of KG Jag's recommendation, which normally tends to be on point.

If anyone has any other thoughts, I'm all ears (eyes? fingers?).

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #26,047 of 29,490
Quote:
Guys please, I'm willing to spend 300 USD, I need headphones that are better than V MODA LP2 in regards to MIDS and HIGHS and sound wider, Bass should be thumpy, trembling and deep rather than super tight and precise, bass should be a basshead bass! A bit slow bass is fine! I"m really happy with the bass of LP2, but that's about it.... Should I get the:

• V Moda - M100
  • Ultrasone PRO 900
  • Audio-Technika ATH-900X

Or anything else that you would recommend, please please....

Anybody? PLeaaase? I'm really clueless .... :frowning2:

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #26,049 of 29,490
The DT 1350 are one of rhe best picks regarding noise isolation and sound quality. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #26,050 of 29,490
Quote:
Guys please, I'm willing to spend 300 USD, I need headphones that are better than V MODA LP2 in regards to MIDS and HIGHS and sound wider, Bass should be thumpy, trembling and deep rather than super tight and precise, bass should be a basshead bass! I"m really happy with the bass of LP2, but that's about it.... Should I get the:

• V Moda - M100
  • Ultrasone PRO 900
  • Audio-Technika ATH-900X

Or anything else that you would recommend, please please....

You might want to consider the ATH WS99 Solid Bass phones. Some pretty hard to resist hype going on here. Initial post in thread here.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #26,051 of 29,490
You might want to consider the ATH WS99 Solid Bass phones. Some pretty hard to resist hype going on here. Initial post in thread here.

Well you did a pretty good job narrowing it down. I have heard a lot of good stuff about the ws99 on headfi as waynes world said. You probably can't go wrong with any of them, but the pro 900s are, and ultrasones altogether, are infamously known dor their piercing treble. I wouldn't know much about that though as I don't even have them.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #26,052 of 29,490
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new set of headphones and would appreciate any advice.

I own a Grado SR-80i and bought an AKG K701 as an upgrade. Unfortunatly, I like my Grado's better then the AKGs. While I enjoy the AKG's increase in detail, the Grado's sound more involved which I like more. The AKGs seem a little too distant if that makes any sense, and the soundstage is almost too big. I will probably sell these.

I also demoed some Sennheiser Momentums and while they sounded really good (once again I liked the increase in detail) I thought there was a bit too much bass, and the bass wasn't as punchy as the Grados. The music also seemed a little darker(?), which I have mixed feelings about (depends on the song).

Regarding my musical choices, I listen to a pretty devierse mix. Rock, J-pop, and soundtracks make up the majority. Classical, Opera, and Jazz are a close second. I also listen to some electronica, indie, and R&B. I am willing to spend up to $500 (but prefer cheaper). Either that or everyone can tell me I've reached audio perfection and to save my money.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #26,053 of 29,490
OK, figured this is the appropriate spot to place this post. 

LOOKING FOR ADVICE --new to the headphone world, I'm looking for one pair of headphones that I will keep until they break. 

DISCLAIMER: Opinions from a non-audiophile, this review is reflective of my personal tastes which is different from everyone else's. 

So I went to the high end audio shop and tested out these headphones, all connected to a high quality amp simultaneously so you can easily switch between headphones instantaneously. I tested them out with alternative/classic/modern rock, and hip hop on a number of songs. There were about 20 other headphones but I wasn't interested in listening to them. 

Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD700
Sennheiser HD800
Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser HD280
AKG Q701 Quincy Jones
Beats by Dre
Beats by Dre Pro
Grado PS1000
Grado PS500
Grado GS1000
Grado RS2i
Grado RS325is

This is the order I liked them in: 

PS500
HD700/800
------------------------ (this signifies large jump in how much I liked the headphones).
RS2i
RS325is
PS1000 
GS1000
HD650
HD598
Q701
Beats

There's two profound things that I gathered after listening: 1. The grado PS500/RS2/325is clarity of treble/highs is ridiculously good by a large margin compared to the rest. 2. The HD700/800 vocals sound like the person singing is standing right there next to you. 

So this is what I realized: Music is about how it makes you feel. I didn't enjoy listening to music from the HD650s any more than I would listening to regular iPhone buds even though everyone loves them here. I just think they sound plain and boring. I have no idea how else to describe it. I understand now what people say when they mean the sound is "fun". The Grado PS500s were on a completely different level than all the other ones mentioned. Even compared to the RS2/PS1000 I felt they were very entertaining. The details on the highs and how you can hear every little guitar lick was incredible, plus the lows really captured that "warm room filling sound" I was looking for. I feel that the PS500's blew everything else minus the HD700/800s out of the water. On the flip side, the HD700/800s realistic sounding voices felt like you were standing in the recording studio. However, I noticed the highs were muffled and muted. The highs didn't sound anything like the PS500s and it felt there was a good chunk of music missing that the Grados were playing.

I found the HD650s and HD598 had a very similar sound, but it was not one that I liked, it was kind of dull and boring. I don't know how to describe it. The Q701 sounded thin which I did not like. The Beats were horrible --I thought people here were over exaggerating to prove a point, but they really are junk. 325iS sounded like the bass was missing, I did not like that. The PS1000 I disliked a lot, I'd rather have the 325iS over these --they sounded so different compared to the other Grados (it's as if an entirely different company made them). RS2s were great, just wish they had more low end like the PS500s, otherwise similar sounding, but much less bass.

CONCLUSION: At $650 the PS500s I felt were the best, the only concern I had was that the sound was too bright, and that anything over an hour of listening would start to become tiring. The HD700s at $1100 were the second best, but I didn't like that the highs are completely missing that the Grados had, but I now understand what "flat" means when referring to sound. Also, I understand why you can listen to music for hours on these whereas you can't on the PS500s.

VERDICT: Why would I consider buying anything else than the PS500? I can use all of these headphones at home, however the rest of these headphones are too big to walk with outside, and require an amp. Whereas the PS500s can be taken anywhere, hooked up to my iphone, and I won't look silly walking around with them with an amp in my pants. lol

QUESTIONS FOR EVERYONE HERE:

1. Can you guys point out which headphones have a very similar sound to the PS500s? DON'T ANSWER THIS QUESTION if you haven't heard the PS500s. The RS2/325/PS1000 don't sound like this headphone and you wouldn't understand what I mean if you haven't listened to it. 

2. If I could create the "perfect" headphones for MYSELF, I would take the PS500, add the vocal quality from the HD700, and turn down the treble just a tad. Does a headphone out there exist like this?????

3. Any advice/tips of which headphones I should listen to before I commit to buying a pair? This will be my only pair of headphones, and I plan on keeping these headphones until they break (which means over 10 years).

Thanks again guys for the help. Don't take any negative comments I made above personally because I'm just a beginner with a very particular preference of sound. I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE!!!!!

I look forward to hearing what recommendations you guys have or advice/tips. I plan on giving the Hifiman HE400/HE500s a listen tomorrow at another store since David recommended them. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #26,054 of 29,490

Quote:
i was wondering what the top closed back headphones are within the $150-$300 price range, i have some experience with the senn hd 25 ii which i very much enjoyed, but was interested in other alternatives available.  shure srh840?  others?

Well, i researched almost the same headphones some pages ago and i found these ones that could match your needs :

1. Focal Spirit One
  2. Aiaiai TMA-1
  3. V-Moda M80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back