++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 15, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #26,056 of 29,490
I currently have a pair of Denon D2000s which I've been enjoying, as the sub-bass is pretty fun.  However, they're not ideal for all of the music I listen to, primarily rock and the like.  A good example of the type of music I'm talking about is the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlSxN98y7Z4

So basically, I'm looking for a complementary pair of headphones.  D2000s for bassy stuff, another pair for rock and stuff focused on mids.  I have an X-Fi Titanium (non-HD), but do not have an amp.  I'd like to keep it under $300, especially since I may have to drop some money on an amp.  I don't particularly care if they're open or closed since I will be using them at home, and I have a fairly large head.

Also, a side question, is the non-HD Titanium good enough to continue using for music or should I invest in a DAC and leave the Titanium for surround sound in games?

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #26,057 of 29,490
Quote:
Anybody? PLeaaase? I'm really clueless .... :frowning2:

The M100's are supposed to be really nice and bassy, but not ridiculously so and get great reviews.  A mic can also be connected to the M100's and you can buy a cord which lets you control the volume.  Check out your other pics warranties if you plan on keeping them for a few years and see which are available from places like Soni Electronix since they offer extra warranties for a small fee vs. some pairs of headphones which only come with 1 year manufacturer warranties.  Also consider which ones you can get from retailers with hassle free return+exchange policies.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #26,058 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently have a pair of Denon D2000s which I've been enjoying, as the sub-bass is pretty fun.  However, they're not ideal for all of the music I listen to, primarily rock and the like.  A good example of the type of music I'm talking about is the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlSxN98y7Z4

So basically, I'm looking for a complementary pair of headphones.  D2000s for bassy stuff, another pair for rock and stuff focused on mids.  I have an X-Fi Titanium (non-HD), but do not have an amp.  I'd like to keep it under $300, especially since I may have to drop some money on an amp.  I don't particularly care if they're open or closed since I will be using them at home, and I have a fairly large head.

Also, a side question, is the non-HD Titanium good enough to continue using for music or should I invest in a DAC and leave the Titanium for surround sound in games?

I have D2k's as well and have the same issue with them as you.  I have narrowed it down to the Sony MDR-1R's and AKG Q701s.  

The Sony's are supposed to be very balanced, as are the AKG's, but the AKG's cost 140$ more here and I can't try the Sony's out. 

http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/sony-mdr1r-black/4505-13831_7-35481885.html
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-mdr-1r_Headphones_review

See this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/647605/sony-mdr-1r-sennheiser-momentum-review

At the moment I have given up, but when I do plan to buy a pair I plan to try at least 2 out from a place like Amazon first.  Reading dozens of vs. threads just gets annoying, especially when new options pop up.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #26,059 of 29,490
I have D2k's as well and have the same issue with them as you.  I have narrowed it down to the Sony MDR-1R's and AKG Q701s.  

The Sony's are supposed to be very balanced, as are the AKG's, but the AKG's cost 140$ more here and I can't try the Sony's out. 

http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/sony-mdr1r-black/4505-13831_7-35481885.html
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-mdr-1r_Headphones_review

See this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/647605/sony-mdr-1r-sennheiser-momentum-review

At the moment I have given up, but when I do plan to buy a pair I plan to try at least 2 out from a place like Amazon first.  Reading dozens of vs. threads just gets annoying, especially when new options pop up.

I have both the MDR-1R and K702 (close cousin of the Q701) and you are comparing apples to oranges there. They are very different in almost every aspect with the K702/Q701 being better overall, IMO, by a large margin. But again, these two have completely different applications, so you need to identify what you're trying to accomplish first.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #26,060 of 29,490
Quote:
I have both the MDR-1R and K702 (close cousin of the Q701) and you are comparing apples to oranges there. They are very different in almost every aspect with the K702/Q701 being better overall, IMO, by a large margin. But again, these two have completely different applications, so you need to identify what you're trying to accomplish first.

Both seem like pretty neutral headphones from my research, haven't read anything detailed from some one who owns both yet...

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #26,061 of 29,490
hey guys,
then end up what is the headphone should be the best for value with the budget up to $150 for classical music? i also consider get a used can also. i would prefer to open. plz give me some advice. thank you. btw i would play it with lossless music +U100 dac and fiio E6. i would consider to get a Oamp in future.

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #26,062 of 29,490
hey guys,
then end up what is the headphone should be the best for value with the budget up to $150 for classical music? i also consider get a used can also. i would prefer to open. plz give me some advice. thank you. btw i would play it with lossless music +U100 dac and fiio E6. i would consider to get a Oamp in future.

Sennheiser HD558. You should look into them.

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #26,063 of 29,490
Quote:
Sennheiser HD558. You should look into them.

i have tried that, the can is very comfort and nice to use. however i scare about the cracking at the "H" word. some people said that the structure would be figile if you do not taking care about the crack. compared it with Sony MA500 or ATH AD900 or 700. which one should be better choice?

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #26,064 of 29,490
Quote:
Guys please, I'm willing to spend 300 USD, I need headphones that are better than V MODA LP2 in regards to MIDS and HIGHS and sound wider, Bass should be thumpy, trembling and deep rather than super tight and precise, bass should be a basshead bass! I"m really happy with the bass of LP2, but that's about it.... Should I get the:

• V Moda - M100
  • Ultrasone PRO 900
  • Audio-Technika ATH-900X

Or anything else that you would recommend, please please....

If you really liked the V-Moda LP2, kinda seems like a no brainer to me, get the V-Moda M100. They are actually how you are asking for: better mids & highs with wider soundstage. bass is thumpy and deep but actually very precise and accurate as well. LP2 is thumpyer than the M100s, but I definitely would prefer the M100 & I am a huge basshead :)

legit the M100s are mad baller & i'm pretty sure you would love them (esp since you loved the LP2).

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #26,065 of 29,490
Quote:
Both seem like pretty neutral headphones from my research, haven't read anything detailed from some one who owns both yet...

Biggest easily noticeable difference is the amount of bass. I tried the MDR-1R & the AKG K550 (which is bassier than the Q701 according to most ppl here) and there was a big difference in the bass. MDR-1R has a warm bass-boost while the K550's bass detailed but not very present in comparison. I don't personally think the MDR-1R are neutral, but they are mid-centric/colored, but in a very very nice way that makes everything sound very smooth and balanced. However, when you compare it to something truly flat like the AKG K550, you can immediately see the difference.

Also, between the open Q701 & the closed MDR-1R, sound stage should be pretty dramatically different.

Pros of the MDR-1R is how portable & comfortable it is.
Pros of the Q701 is that it offers very neutral/balanced open sound.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #26,068 of 29,490
Okay. I've been looking for quite a while now, but I can't seem to find headphones that are not bulky, have an acoustic sound with good bass response, that is circumaural (around/over-ear) and has a detatchable cable. Portability is a priority right next to sound quality. I need help. I reeeaally like the V Modas because of their design and build quality, but the way people described the sound, it didn't seem like it was for me.

I listen to Jazz, Rock, Fusion, Funk, and a bit of electronic music (hip hop, k pop, etc.).

So the criteria here is:

1. Acoustic tone
  2. Good bass response
  3. Portability
  4. Detachable cable feature is a huuge plus
  5. Over Ear
  6. Sturdy
  7. And of course, comfort

Oh, and I also want to be able to drive the headphones without an amp. But some headroom for one can't hurt. I guess I'm asking too much ha ha.. Hope you guys help me :)

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #26,069 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay. I've been looking for quite a while now, but I can't seem to find headphones that are not bulky, have an acoustic sound with good bass response, that is circumaural (around/over-ear) and has a detatchable cable. Portability is a priority right next to sound quality. I need help. I reeeaally like the V Modas because of their design and build quality, but the way people described the sound, it didn't seem like it was for me.

I listen to Jazz, Rock, Fusion, Funk, and a bit of electronic music (hip hop, k pop, etc.).

So the criteria here is:

1. Acoustic tone
  2. Good bass response
  3. Portability
  4. Detachable cable feature is a huuge plus
  5. Over Ear
  6. Sturdy
  7. And of course, comfort

Oh, and I also want to be able to drive the headphones without an amp. But some headroom for one can't hurt. I guess I'm asking too much ha ha.. Hope you guys help me :)

What's wrong with V-Moda's again? The M100's sound like a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back