++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #26,071 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenacingTuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have both the MDR-1R and K702 (close cousin of the Q701) and you are comparing apples to oranges there. They are very different in almost every aspect with the K702/Q701 being better overall, IMO, by a large margin. But again, these two have completely different applications, so you need to identify what you're trying to accomplish first.

Both seem like pretty neutral headphones from my research, haven't read anything detailed from some one who owns both yet...

They just aren't comparable. One is a closed-back can, has a colored low frequency, is highly efficient, is built to be paired on a portable setup, sounds decent unamped, and is not meant to be taken very seriously. The other is an open-back can, is way more close to neutral than anything listed since your original post, absolutely needs decent amping to sound good, and produces a signature an audiophile would greatly favor. I use them both extensively and I use them for much different reasons.

You need to provide more detail as to what you are looking for.
  1. What's your budget?
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  4. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  5. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #26,072 of 29,490
I've been thinking about buying a new pair of headphones for quite some time now, at first I was into buying a pair of open headphones, but I don't think that's a very good idea since my computer tends to be rather noisy. So what closed headphone would offer me a large and accurate soundstage?

At the moment I'm going to be driving them of my asus xonar stx, not planning on buying a new amp for a while since I feel it should be good enough for any headphones I currently can afford. Budget would be up to around 400$, buying from Japan with tenso forwarding would be ok.

Been thinking about the A900x, but mainly since I at first was into the AD900x but then changed my mind to a closed headphone.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #26,073 of 29,490
Quote:
I've been thinking about buying a new pair of headphones for quite some time now, at first I was into buying a pair of open headphones, but I don't think that's a very good idea since my computer tends to be rather noisy. So what closed headphone would offer me a large and accurate soundstage?

At the moment I'm going to be driving them of my asus xonar stx, not planning on buying a new amp for a while since I feel it should be good enough for any headphones I currently can afford. Budget would be up to around 400$, buying from Japan with tenso forwarding would be ok.

Been thinking about the A900x, but mainly since I at first was into the AD900x but then changed my mind to a closed headphone.

The major thing you compromise when moving from an open design to a closed design is the soundstage, so just know you're not going to recreate that airy feel in a closed can. Coming from the AD900x, are you positive you're looking for depth and not detail (both of which I think that can does pretty well, big fan of the AD lineup)?

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #26,074 of 29,490
Looking for a new headphone in the market, willing to pay around $400. I mostly listen to k/asian pop, a little bit of rap and gospel. I would like something that could bring the music out with good mids/vocals. (I'm a "midhead.")

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #26,075 of 29,490
So I was thinking about getting a sound card and some new headphones+amp.  Then I found the e7 and thought I'd get that so I could use it on my phone, desktop, and laptop and just get a pair of headphones to go with it.  I was looking at the superlux hd681, but the saw they have new ones and was going to get the hd660.  The more I look though the more tempted I am to go with the ATH-M50.  I listen to pretty much everything, but classic and screamo, but I do listen to a lot of bass heavy music(dubstep, rap, etc...)  What do you guys think? I originally wanted to stay around $100, but now I may be able to go $200, but definitely no higher than that.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #26,076 of 29,490
Quote:
So I was thinking about getting a sound card and some new headphones+amp.  Then I found the e7 and thought I'd get that so I could use it on my phone, desktop, and laptop and just get a pair of headphones to go with it.  I was looking at the superlux hd681, but the saw they have new ones and was going to get the hd660.  The more I look though the more tempted I am to go with the ATH-M50.  I listen to pretty much everything, but classic and screamo, but I do listen to a lot of bass heavy music(dubstep, rap, etc...)  What do you guys think? I originally wanted to stay around $100, but now I may be able to go $200, but definitely no higher than that.

The ATH-M50 is not a bad way to go for what you want and the prices for those things keep coming down. It's a good starting point for a lot of people. Check out the V-Moda Crossfade LP2 as well. If you want a real treat, check out the Logitech UE 6000. If you want to stay under $100, it doesn't get much better than the CAL!. They should all be easy to get a hold of to demo and all of them except for the LP2 are on InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame, which says a lot.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #26,077 of 29,490
Don't mean to be annoying, but still looking for some more suggestions:

Quote:
I currently have a pair of Denon D2000s which I've been enjoying, as the sub-bass is pretty fun.  However, they're not ideal for all of the music I listen to, primarily rock and the like.  A good example of the type of music I'm talking about is the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlSxN98y7Z4

So basically, I'm looking for a complementary pair of headphones.  D2000s for bassy stuff, another pair for rock and stuff focused on mids.  I have an X-Fi Titanium (non-HD), but do not have an amp.  I'd like to keep it under $300, especially since I may have to drop some money on an amp.  I don't particularly care if they're open or closed since I will be using them at home, and I have a fairly large head.

Also, a side question, is the non-HD Titanium good enough to continue using for music or should I invest in a DAC and leave the Titanium for surround sound in games?

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #26,079 of 29,490
I am relatively new to this. I am looking for a pair of headphones that's will be suitable for my listening needs.I like details, with smooth highs and midrange. Bigger soundstage with tight bass would be preferred. I listen predominantly to the following genres:

Jazz, instrumental, vocals, classical, fusion jazz, soft rock.

I am also looking for portability as I will be using it at home and at work. At home, I have a Peachtree Nova and a Rogue Cronus Magnum to drive the headphones but at work it's basically for now through the computer. I will probably invest in a portable headphone amp down the line but no budget for that now.

I did some research and am looking at something in the price range of the Sennheiser HD600, which I read maybe good for classical and jazz. I like natural voicing and also the fine details of instruments in music I listen to.

I know I cannot have all I am looking for in my price range, so would welcome suggestions to point me in the right direction. Thanks. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #26,080 of 29,490
The major thing you compromise when moving from an open design to a closed design is the soundstage, so just know you're not going to recreate that airy feel in a closed can. Coming from the AD900x, are you positive you're looking for depth and not detail (both of which I think that can does pretty well, big fan of the AD lineup)?

Well I know one sacrifice soundstage when going to a closed can, but I'm rather sensitive to noise in the surounding so I'm trying to minimize them as much as possible. I want to be able to use the headphone in what I prefer to call "Footstep-simulators" (think counter-strike), where small details and accuracy of the sound are important. Whether that would be depth or detail I'm looking for the most, I'm not sure. Apart from that I'm pretty certain that as long as it's a nice headphone and sounds well, I can live with pretty much any sound signature :).

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #26,081 of 29,490
Quote:
I heard some people say they were a bit too bassy. Now I don't know if I'm a basshead, but I like a good share of bass. Would you say the M100s are good for me?

Nope. Never heard em, so I can't recommend them. But from what I can gather, they are closed, over-ear. They have detachable cables. They are semi-portable with a folding design. Metal hinges and twistable headband. Several people have praised them for how comfy they are. And you said you like their looks.

Just saying, they seem to fit everything on your list. Worst comes to worst, you're getting slightly more bass than what you wanted.

If not, look at the MDR-1R's. I would personally go for something like the DT1350 or ESW9 but those are on-ear and don't have detachable cables.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #26,082 of 29,490
Quote:
Well I know one sacrifice soundstage when going to a closed can, but I'm rather sensitive to noise in the surounding so I'm trying to minimize them as much as possible. I want to be able to use the headphone in what I prefer to call "Footstep-simulators" (think counter-strike), where small details and accuracy of the sound are important. Whether that would be depth or detail I'm looking for the most, I'm not sure. Apart from that I'm pretty certain that as long as it's a nice headphone and sounds well, I can live with pretty much any sound signature
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm. Ok. So you're looking for positional accuracy. Are you using these for competitive gaming or was the CS example just used for reference? Let's summarize: Budget is $400. Closed cans for isolation. Want to focus on details and positional audio. Everything is coming out of a Xonar STX.

1. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  2. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  3. Will you be running an amp?
  4. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #26,083 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay. I've been looking for quite a while now, but I can't seem to find headphones that are not bulky, have an acoustic sound with good bass response, that is circumaural (around/over-ear) and has a detatchable cable. Portability is a priority right next to sound quality. I need help. I reeeaally like the V Modas because of their design and build quality, but the way people described the sound, it didn't seem like it was for me.

I listen to Jazz, Rock, Fusion, Funk, and a bit of electronic music (hip hop, k pop, etc.).

So the criteria here is:

1. Acoustic tone
  2. Good bass response
  3. Portability
  4. Detachable cable feature is a huuge plus
  5. Over Ear
  6. Sturdy
  7. And of course, comfort

Oh, and I also want to be able to drive the headphones without an amp. But some headroom for one can't hurt. I guess I'm asking too much ha ha.. Hope you guys help me :)

There's the usual suspects for this. UE 6000, MDR-1R, Momentum. I'd leave the M100 out because that's definitely a basshead can where as the others listed have a generally good response through all of the frequencies. I suspect you'll like the UE 6000 or MDR-1R. If you don't mind true on-ear cans, check out the M80 as well.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #26,084 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a new headphone in the market, willing to pay around $400. I mostly listen to k/asian pop, a little bit of rap and gospel. I would like something that could bring the music out with good mids/vocals. (I'm a "midhead.")

1. Budget is $400.
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  4. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  5. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #26,085 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks for the reply.  One thing I forgot to mention is that I listen to a decent amount of music with female vocals (from jpop and the like) so would they handle that well?  Also, what would be a decent amp for them; would something like the Schitt Magni work?  I've heard they're rather hard to drive, and I'm not too familiar with amps other than the <$100 portable market.

Additionally, I was thinking about possibly getting a pair of T50RPs then applying BmWr75's Simple Mods to them since it'd leave me with a fair amount of money to spend on an amp.  Is that a decent idea or would I be better off just spending the extra money on something like the K702s and an amp anyway?  Or even Mad Dogs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back